Sponsored by:

Almost wrecked my vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:34 PM
moekluse
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Almost wrecked my vette

So, it's 40 degrees f* out side. me and my father went out for a small ride down the street for a quick refill because the vette was almost empty. so I pulled out of my house and continued slowly with traction controll ON. I slowly started to accelerate and the trans kicked down a gear, motor revved way up, lost all traction on road. back end swung right, then left then spun out towords one of my neighbors house, and basically the car had spun 180 degrees while sliding in reverse and all that was going through my mind is that I'm going to hit one of his trees. after all the smoke settled down I took the vette straight back home (happily avoiding any trees/property/pedestrians God forbid) then I noticed my service abs light was on, and I know the there was no abs light before the spin out. the only thing I'm still supposed about is how quickly the car went, it spun in 30 different directions before I could even comprehend what was happening.

I'm glad no one or no car was hurt but that's the last I'll be driving it until I find out whyour abs was not functioning properly. I will get a picture of tire marks on road tomorrow.

stay safe everyone
Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Glad you and your Vette are OK !!!! Been some threads here on winter driving, not good with a Vette !!!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:54 PM
moekluse
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pounder
Glad you and your Vette are OK !!!! Been some threads here on winter driving, not good with a Vette !!!
thank you, Im just very surprised on how quickley the situation arose, just normal driving then bam out of controll. I wanna get rid of my auto and find a clean manual now haha

Last edited by moekluse; 12-08-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by moekluse
thank you, Im just very surprised on how quickley the situation arose, just normal driving then bam out of controll. I wanna get rid of my auto and find a clean manual now haha
Old 12-08-2016, 08:26 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 247 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Where are you?!? It would be helpful if you'd fill that out in your profile, but something doesn't seem right to me.

If you started out slowly, and didn't put the foot down, why would the trans kick down and gun it? Seems like something's not right. While not on purpose, I drove my '03 M6 in the snow when I lived with that chit and had no problem as long as I controlled my foot.

So, it's 40 degrees f* out side. me and my father went out for a small ride down the street for a quick refill because the vette was almost empty. so I pulled out of my house and continued slowly with traction controll ON. I slowly started to accelerate and the trans kicked down a gear, motor revved way up, lost all traction on road. back end swung right, then left then spun out towords one of my neighbors house, and basically the car had spun 180 degrees while sliding in reverse and all that was going through my mind is that I'm going to hit one of his trees. after all the smoke settled down I took the vette straight back home (happily avoiding any trees/property/pedestrians God forbid) then I noticed my service abs light was on, and I know the there was no abs light before the spin out. the only thing I'm still supposed about is how quickly the car went, it spun in 30 different directions before I could even comprehend what was happening.

I'm glad no one or no car was hurt but that's the last I'll be driving it until I find out whyour abs was not functioning properly. I will get a picture of tire marks on road tomorrow.

stay safe everyone
Old 12-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by calvins
Where are you?!? It would be helpful if you'd fill that out in your profile, but something doesn't seem right to me.

If you started out slowly, and didn't put the foot down, why would the trans kick down and gun it? Seems like something's not right. While not on purpose, I drove my '03 M6 in the snow when I lived with that chit and had no problem as long as I controlled my foot.
if it was black ice at very little throttle the trans most likely upshifted and caused the spin ??
Old 12-08-2016, 08:55 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Pounder
if it was black ice at very little throttle the trans most likely upshifted and caused the spin ??
Could be, that's why I asked for the location fill in and more details. Things in the original post just don't add up. Forty degrees doesn't help much without other information. But, it would have had to have been awfully cold for a while with an air temp of 40dF to create a black ice condition.

Last edited by calvins; 12-08-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
moekluse
Instructor

I was easing into the pedal, I think the computer thought I wanted to do a roll race or something and kicked down then all hell broke loose. I just checked road surface, and theres sand about 20 ft prior to where the car broke loose, I guess it was just a bad combination of cold tires, Sandy ground, and the trans downshifting at the wrong moment.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:40 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

Man, something isn't right with your car. If you were easing on the gas, that shouldn't happen. Pull the codes or something. It ain't right.

I was easing into the pedal, I think the computer thought I wanted to do a roll race or something and kicked down then all hell broke loose. I just checked road surface, and theres sand about 20 ft prior to where the car broke loose, I guess it was just a bad combination of cold tires, Sandy ground, and the trans downshifting at the wrong moment.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,296 Likes on 13,969 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree - pull the codes from the DIC and see what comes up. If the ABS light is on, a code should at least be set for that.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

Although, if you're running one of the twin-turbo, super-charged, nitros powered models, that may be normal! (just funnin', couldn't resist, sorry)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Pull codes. Something doesn't sound right.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 PM
moekluse
Instructor

I know for a fact that the abs and traction controll were not working, when I nailed the brakes I could tell that abs was not working, then abs light came on right after I stopped. I'll be pulling codes tomorrow
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 PM
moekluse
Instructor

Although, if you're running one of the twin-turbo, super-charged, nitros powered models, that may be normal! (just funnin', couldn't resist, sorry)
lol that was the plan, may wait for a c5z!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Oldtimer

lol that was the plan, may wait for a c5z!

LOL, I think you meant the C7Z, But in ALL seriousness, from your writeup, something IS wrong with your car AND it's serious. Don't ignore it. The power in even the "lowly" C5 can kill you in a heartbeat.

Check it out.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Mine did some waked out stuff when my alternator died and again when my throttle body bearing started to seize up.

I wouldn't have guessed about the problem with the TB bearing until I looked the codes up in the service manual.

I don't understand why a traction control failure would cause a spin out in normal careful driving. There is something else going on.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:04 AM
moekluse
Instructor

LOL, I think you meant the C7Z, But in ALL seriousness, from your writeup, something IS wrong with your car AND it's serious. Don't ignore it. The power in even the "lowly" C5 can kill you in a heartbeat.

Check it out.
I don't know, ireally want a dark blue c5z as my next car lol, although I've been looking at the new zl1s too, there pretty cheap for the preformance you get.

Get notified of new replies

To Almost wrecked my vette

Old 12-09-2016, 07:45 AM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

I don't know, ireally want a dark blue c5z as my next car lol, although I've been looking at the new zl1s too, there pretty cheap for the preformance you get.
Where are you living these days ? It would be better to finish your profile.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:09 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Glad that you are ok and avoided a wreck, that's strange it would act weird like that. I don't like auto trans they can do some funny things
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM
moekluse
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
Glad that you are ok and avoided a wreck, that's strange it would act weird like that. I don't like auto trans they can do some funny things
thanks, and yea I'm not a fan of auto either

Quick Reply: Almost wrecked my vette