Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone towed a C5 on a uHaul trailer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Anyone towed a C5 on a uHaul trailer??

So I need to get a C5Z from Wi to Mi, and figured I'd just rent a uHaul trailer and tow it. I didn't think about possible with issues being too low/wide/etc.

Should I just pay someone to haul it for me or will it fit on the trailer?

Last edited by ss4luck; 12-08-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:40 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I would pay someone. Just for peace of mind. JMHO
Old 12-08-2016, 09:45 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

I haven't used Uhaul, but I have used Penske and Budget. You'll need to remove the front wheel blocks (usually just bolted on) and be prepared to crawl out of the window. (window valet helps here)

If you're going to put on a car cover, make sure it's VERY well secured to the car.
The following users liked this post:
ss4luck (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Awkwardcrane
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't use a cover, you can't get it tight enough, will flap and rub on the paint. Is it not driveable? Drove mine from Minnesota to Michigan last December and other than washing thoroughly didn't have a problem.
My car does have all season tires and I realize that makes a difference.

Last edited by Awkwardcrane; 12-08-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Forgot about tires
Old 12-08-2016, 09:53 PM
ss4luck
Racer

Originally Posted by Impropercrane
Don't use a cover, you can't get it tight enough, will flap and rub on the paint. Is it not driveable? Drove mine from Minnesota to Michigan last December and other than washing thoroughly didn't have a problem.
We got 4.5" of snow in the last 36 hours unfortunately

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I haven't used Uhaul, but I have used Penske and Budget. You'll need to remove the front wheel blocks (usually just bolted on) and be prepared to crawl out of the window. (window valet helps here)

If you're going to put on a car cover, make sure it's VERY well secured to the car.
The uHaul ones let the wheel cover on the drivers side fold out so you don't have to do that thabkfully lol

Last edited by ss4luck; 12-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

supposed to get hammered again Sun. don't know when you leaving ??
Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 PM
His93C4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I put my '03 Z06 on a Penske this spring. Need to make sure to raise the backend of the truck up several inches to help level the ramps and also some 2x6s under the ramp to drive up on. Need to get the ramps as level with the trailer as possible.

To get out, i came out of the passenger window and then rolled the window up and locked it. To get in, I unlocked the car, then I used a broom handle, taped the key to the end, went through the trunk, stuck the key in the ignition, turned it on, opened the door and rolled down the passenger window, climbed back in, started it and pulled it off the trailer.

Took me longer to type than to get it off.
ss4luck (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 PM
ss4luck
Racer

It sounds like it should work, the fender folding over on the uHaul makes it sound like a winner but ill have to measure the wheel tracks and make sure everything will work, if not there is a Penske rental in town too

Originally Posted by Pounder
supposed to get hammered again Sun. don't know when you leaving ??
I was planning on next Wed/Thur. A good friend of mine is moving and is storing his car in my heated barn for winter and so i can put a vortec and stuff on it in the meantime. We arent on a set schedule, just trying to avoid the worst of these first winter storms.

Originally Posted by His93C4
I put my '03 Z06 on a Penske this spring. Need to make sure to raise the backend of the truck up several inches to help level the ramps and also some 2x6s under the ramp to drive up on. Need to get the ramps as level with the trailer as possible.

To get out, i came out of the passenger window and then rolled the window up and locked it. To get in, I unlocked the car, then I used a broom handle, taped the key to the end, went through the trunk, stuck the key in the ignition, turned it on, opened the door and rolled down the passenger window, climbed back in, started it and pulled it off the trailer.

Took me longer to type than to get it off.

hahahahahah that sounds hilarious i have a newphew i could possibly throw through the car and have him stick the clutch in to roll it off

Last edited by ss4luck; 12-08-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to buy blocks of wood per their instructions and my car was too low and would hit the wheel stops up front. I had to back the car on the trailer after I attempted to unbolt the stops and it was still too low.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 PM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the uhaul trailer 5 years ago and it was great towed behind one of their large trucks for ~1000 miles. I had to remove the front corner plastic air dams.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 PM
His93C4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss4luck
It sounds like it should work, the fender folding over on the uHaul makes it sound like a winner but ill have to measure the wheel tracks and make sure everything will work, if not there is a Penske rental in town too

I was planning on next Wed/Thur. A good friend of mine is moving and is storing his car in my heated barn for winter and so i can put a vortec and stuff on it in the meantime. We arent on a set schedule, just trying to avoid the worst of these first winter storms.

hahahahahah that sounds hilarious i have a newphew i could possibly throw through the car and have him stick the clutch in to roll it off
I was just glad there weren't any video cameras around.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Did it with a Z06 I brought to Carlisle.
You will need at least a 2 2x6 on each side and some under ramp for clearance issues.
The newer uhauls with electronic brakes seem to have a high l bracket that will hit underneath on the fame.
Also you need to secure them to the frame of uhaul of the can kick out on that surface. It is a little bit of a pita but at least now you know what you need.
Pm me if you need any more info.
ss4luck (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 AM
IronJaw
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I need to get a C5Z from Wi to Mi, and figured I'd just rent a uHaul trailer and tow it. I didn't think about possible with issues being too low/wide/etc.

Should I just pay someone to haul it for me or will it fit on the trailer?
I bought my Vette and a Tahoe used at the same dealer , so I went down the street to U-Haul and rented an open tandem trailer and pulled the car home . I had to find some wood blocks to run the car up on with the trailer in a dip in the parking lot . The trailer came with front wheel net binders so all i had to buy was a couple of ratchet straps for the rear , crisscross them from side to side and check all of the hold-downs at the first opportunity you get . I ran 250 miles with no problems and it was cheap !! and the drivers side wheel fender dropped down out of the way too so exit was no problem .
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by IronJaw:
Jpar (02-27-2023), ss4luck (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:38 AM
ss4luck
Racer

Originally Posted by His93C4
I was just glad there weren't any video cameras around.
I'm sure we all would have loved to see it though!! 😂😂

Originally Posted by Tuco
The newer uhauls with electronic brakes seem to have a high l bracket that will hit underneath on the fame.
Also you need to secure them to the frame of uhaul of the can kick out on that surface. It is a little bit of a pita but at least now you know what you need.
Pm me if you need any more info.
Where is the I bracket and what part of the frame does it hit?? I've used the uHaul trailers to tow my Camaro once or twice, but can't remember anything that sticks up other than the wheel tracks

I've got big straps for my drag car that I planned on using to secure everything once t was loaded

Originally Posted by IronJaw
I bought my Vette and a Tahoe used at the same dealer , so I went down the street to U-Haul and rented an open tandem trailer and pulled the car home . I had to find some wood blocks to run the car up on with the trailer in a dip in the parking lot . The trailer came with front wheel net binders so all i had to buy was a couple of ratchet straps for the rear , crisscross them from side to side and check all of the hold-downs at the first opportunity you get . I ran 250 miles with no problems and it was cheap !! and the drivers side wheel fender dropped down out of the way too so exit was no problem .

Awesome that's exactly what I was hoping to hear!!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:27 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Where is the I bracket and what part of the frame does it hit?? I've used the uHaul trailers to tow my Camaro once or twice, but can't remember anything that sticks up other than the wheel tracks

I've got big straps for my drag car that I planned on using to secure everything once t was loaded
!
In the centers inside of each wheel. If not careful you will do a number on your front spoiler and frame. I am not sure every Uhaul is like this but it would certainly pay to see it first.
My Z was not lowered at all, totally stock and it would have hit them for sure.
I found a good pic of what I am referring too, you can actually see how high it looks in the picture.
Also as mentioned driver door fender does fold down so the extra height will help if you get this trailer pictured.Lock wheels down well and use a chock in front as you do not want to rest against the front stop.
And on a long haul...she will bounce a bit.

Last edited by Tuco; 12-09-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:49 AM
Hydroracer
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a uhaul trailer to take my kids TransAm to the tuner after a major engine overhaul , we had to back it on the trailer because the ramps were so short that the nose wouldnt clear . The trailer was so narrow that we barely cleared the trailer fenders and it was a bear loading when wet . You will need plank extensions for that ramps at minimum , good luck& be careful !
Old 12-09-2016, 01:35 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need blocks for the front end.....

Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 327 Posts

I towed my 03 Z06 this spring. My car is stock height. I jacked the front of the trailer up (while attached to truck to prevent rolling) and used 2x6 boards under ramps. The air dam will hit the front lip of the trailer so either remove the corners, flex them over the lip, or put a block to prevent front from going too far forward. I used the wheel straps provided and safety chained the rear so I flexed the air dams over the lip. The chains were to prevent forward motion in the event of crash only so they weren't tight enough to prevent the suspension from moving.

I towed it that way over 300 miles with no issues. The door will clear the folded down fender. (Doesn't look like it will but does). Backing onto trailer is an option but the fender on the right side of trailer does NOT fold down and you will NOT exit via the driver's door.

Having a spotter definitely helps. Take your time and it goes just fine.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Floridasky
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice how to video in this link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-rear.html

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone towed a C5 on a uHaul trailer??

Quick Reply: Anyone towed a C5 on a uHaul trailer??