Questions on Sta-Bil. 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions on Sta-Bil. 2 Questions

Just a thought I have here.
On my Zero turn mower I have a fuel line shut off. Each Winter I just shut it off and run the engine till it uses up all the gas and shuts down. Never had a problem in 10 years of doing so. The thought was if you pulled your pump fuse or relay and ran your engine till it used up all the fuel from the pump to the engine and shut down. Would this be sufficient enough for winter storage? My thought would be still that even with a full tank of gas there could be moisture and gum over the few months that it would be sitting even though this gas has Top Tier additive in it. The other question is: If during those few months of less driving conditions with going out only on nice days as many as possible for short runs, but still never really using up a lot of fuel. Would you still need to use Sta-Bil in your tank? All response will be kept in Strict Confidence! (just kidding)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:38 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Star Tron is better than Sta=Bil.

The following users liked this post:
Captzeos (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 03:08 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I live in Southern Illinois and I never really put my cars in storage. I have added Sta-Bil to the fuel when the weather turns and have never had any problems. I am able to drive my Corvettes during the winter when the ice and snow are not flying.

Adding Sta-Bil to the fuel tank when it is at about 1/4 tank and then filling up the tank and running the car with the new mixture, this will get the mixture into the entire fuel system.

I use it in my emergency generator also. It has a shutoff as well and i do the same as you did on your mower.
Captzeos (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 03:46 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Why would a fuel injection system get "gummed up" like a carb would if left sitting a long time? There is no exposure of fuel to the air, no vaporization taking place in a closed system, so no "varnish" would form. I have left diesels for 5-6 months and one for five years sitting with no fouling of injectors and they always started. I have left fuel injected cars sit too for extended periods with no problem.
It would be more important to fill the tanks with fuel to limit the size of the air pocket in the tank to reduce condensation of the moisture which may be in the air, then to try and empty the fuel lines. I doubt you would empty the lines anyway by just pulling the fuse to the pump. The engine is not going to suck the fuel from the lines.
Maybe it's just me, but I have not used that stuff in either cars, boats, motorcycles, lawnmowers, nor tractors and altho it sounds theoretically beneficial, I have not had any problem not using it. What I do like though is Berryman's B12 Chemtool (~$3 a can) with 1 oz added/gal of fuel to the tank, to keep carbed engines free from any gumming up. Add to my motorcycle, the lawnmower and boat too, every 3 or 4 tankfulls, keeps the carbs nice and clean. Not needed in a FI engine but it probably wouldn't hurt and maybe (?) keep injectors clean too.
I also have a gas generator that sat unused for 7 years until Hurricane Hermine came through Sept 2. Filled it with gas and it started on the second pull. This I did run 'till the carb was empty and I drained all the gas out of the tank when I first got it, and after I used it a few days for the storm, I again totally emptied the carb and tank, waiting to refill it 'till I need it again. That works much better than stabil or startron and you always have fresh gas.
With what you are doing, it makes no difference of you take it out for a ride - just don't do a quick around the block, take it out 'till the engine and everything warms up. You don't want to leave a lot of moisture lying around, you want to get rid of it.

Last edited by mrlmd; 12-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrlmd:
Amontekong (01-01-2017), Captzeos (12-28-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I live in Southern Illinois and I never really put my cars in storage. I have added Sta-Bil to the fuel when the weather turns and have never had any problems. I am able to drive my Corvettes during the winter when the ice and snow are not flying.

Adding Sta-Bil to the fuel tank when it is at about 1/4 tank and then filling up the tank and running the car with the new mixture, this will get the mixture into the entire fuel system.

I use it in my emergency generator also. It has a shutoff as well and i do the same as you did on your mower.
Well, my tank is pretty much full right at the moment. I do have some Sta-Bil sitting around, but thought I would get a general consensus of the forum before dumping it in the tank. Thanks Zachaeous for the response.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Star Tron is better than Sta=Bil.

I haven't seen Star Tron on the market here, but that may be because I haven't been looking for it. Any reason why you have a preference?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Star Tron is better than Sta-Bil.

It very well may be, but Sta-Bil is far more readily available. FWIW, I've been putting Sta-Bil in the cars that I've stored for winter, since the late 70s....
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Anthony@RWHP
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you pulled the pump fuse/relay, it doesnt use all of the fuel in the line. Once the pump loses power, the fuel system loses pressure. We service and clean injectors all day long from these things, I can't tell you how many injectors we've had come through here that were treated with sta-bil that had flow and stiction issues.
Captzeos (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Default Now I'm on the Fence about Sta-Bil

Originally Posted by Anthony@RWHP
Even if you pulled the pump fuse/relay, it doesnt use all of the fuel in the line. Once the pump loses power, the fuel system loses pressure. We service and clean injectors all day long from these things, I can't tell you how many injectors we've had come through here that were treated with sta-bil that had flow and stiction issues.
Thanks Anthony,
I guess what I'm wondering about after reading your reply. Is do you feel that Sta-Bil is more of a problem than help?
I just now noticed you left a link to fuel-injector-cleaning. I will check it out.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

Personally I prefer to fill my vehicles with ethanol free marine gas 90 octane before I put them in storage. I also ad a bottle of Techron. Used stabilizers in various boats but not in my vert.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:35 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

For what it's worth. I had my 2002 C5 for 14 years and stored it for 3 months every year. I filled the tank and hooked up a battery tender. I never added any fuel stabilizer and never had any issues at all.

Last edited by 2K14C7; 12-30-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I own about 60 pcs of equipment that about 3/4 of them I winterize from roughly early Dec to march. Each one I simply add stabil to whatever gas is in tank, start them and run them to they shut off. Been doing this for 30 years and never a issue at all in Spring. On 2 cycle I dump fuel, start motors and run full throttle till they try to stall and thats it. We always treat fuel with Stabil in 2 cycle. I also remove plugs and put couple drops of oil on top of valves or cylinder to coat.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K14C7
For what it's worth. I had my 2002 C5 for 14 years and stored it for 3 months every year. I filled the tank and hooked up a battery tender. I never added any fuel stabilizer and never had any issues at all.
I usually add some sea foam, bottle of techron, Stabil, and plug her in.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:47 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

[QUOTE=randy ransome;1593748348]Star Tron is better than Sta=Bil.

[/QUOTE
As a faithful user of Stabil products in my boats & cars for years with no issues, can you tell me "how" Star Tron is better than Stabil?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:25 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
Personally I prefer to fill my vehicles with ethanol free marine gas 90 octane before I put them in storage. I also ad a bottle of Techron. Used stabilizers in various boats but not in my vert.
That is a GREAT idea!
Old 12-31-2016, 03:07 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

And I don't use either of those and have no problems and I would like someone to PROVE to me that they accomplish something, other than the marketing hype and anectdotes that they actually work. Like side by side simultanious tests with and without the additive to see of there's any difference over time.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:11 PM
449er
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrlmd
And I don't use either of those and have no problems and I would like someone to PROVE to me that they accomplish something, other than the marketing hype and anectdotes that they actually work. Like side by side simultanious tests with and without the additive to see of there's any difference over time.
Do you actually store your car/boat for months at a time without any use? Unless you are using non-ethanol fuel, which many of us don't have access to, your statements are ridiculous

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on Sta-Bil. 2 Questions

Old 01-01-2017, 12:10 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Yes I do, and what is ridiculous is how you can discount my results and insist on anecdotes and advertising that this stuff actually does any good. If I don't use it and have no problems with fuel in my vehicles not used for many months, then how can you say if you do use that stuff and have the same results, that it is better? You can't.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

Premium fuel does not need fuel stabilizers so if you are putting the proper fuel in your car you will be ok.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:47 AM
449er
Race Director

Originally Posted by v8srfun
Premium fuel does not need fuel stabilizers so if you are putting the proper fuel in your car you will be ok.
If the premium fuel that you are using contains ethanol, it most certainly does need a fuel stabilizer

Quick Reply: Questions on Sta-Bil. 2 Questions