Sponsored by:

DIY: How to install Double-din Headunit in C5

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:53 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Well guys, like my non car-guy son said when he drove my Corvette, "now I get it". Spoke to Dennis a few minutes ago and he's the real deal. I'll be sending him my bezel once I get myself organized, which doesn't take long. We talked about the Kenwood 9903 which uses Apple CarPlay and almost 7" display. Thanks guys, what a great place this forum is!
That's the head unit that I picked up from Dennis too. Hoping that delivery from Kenwood has occurred. I've got all my new speakers and amp wired (JL C5 525 in the front, JL C5 650 in rear, JL 10W1 sub and JL RD 900/5 amp) but haven't heard anything through it!

Hoping for the head unit this week. Dennis, I know you're out there... As long as chasboy doesn't get his head unit before mine...
Old 01-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default This is a reoccuring theme

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
That's the head unit that I picked up from Dennis too. Hoping that delivery from Kenwood has occurred. I've got all my new speakers and amp wired (JL C5 525 in the front, JL C5 650 in rear, JL 10W1 sub and JL RD 900/5 amp) but haven't heard anything through it!

Hoping for the head unit this week. Dennis, I know you're out there... As long as chasboy doesn't get his head unit before mine...
Over my time here, I've seen this same post ( only with a different members screen name.. everyone is in anxious anticipation of getting their head unit.. This is the absolute best interior sensory modification you could choose. It bring the interior into the current technology era.

I remember one guy last year who came up to me to engage in conversation.. He eluded to it being new.. when I told him it was 17 years old and almost 100K he gave me a look of distain, and argued , they didn't have big screen nav systems in cars 17 years ago...

So for anyone wanting to give their car and their driving experience that New car feel, putting in a Modern head unit is the way to go.... And you could not have a better expert than Dennis ( DD Mods) to help you with your budget, choice, and installation. He's a good guy.

Bill aka ET
Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

thanks guys

We have many new plans for this years changes on all your audio needs.

With Metra releasing a molded version it will allow us to have these instock or less than a week ship times for those who want that version.

They are ok in my eyes.
They will not have a cup holder lid and the ash tray section is kinda funky
They also have small section around the radio opening so the off branded radios will fit if you dremel them out. If you have one of them thats great but if you done then the Kenwood Pioneer ect will have a small spacer gap around them.
They are smooth flat charcoal gray finish so we will have to texure paint and put our touches to them for someone who wants a less expensive option quicker but does not care of want the true stock look like ours are when we make them.
The Metra version will look like this but with our touch. I have them on order and will post final pics with our touch on them shortly..

We will also be taking these and reworking them for a new option for you guys as well

As always we will still be making our version.

Here is a couple pics from CES>

Retail on these with our painted touches will be 259.99 plus shipping

I will post better before and after pics when I get them

Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Over my time here, I've seen this same post ( only with a different members screen name.. everyone is in anxious anticipation of getting their head unit.. This is the absolute best interior sensory modification you could choose. It bring the interior into the current technology era.

I remember one guy last year who came up to me to engage in conversation.. He eluded to it being new.. when I told him it was 17 years old and almost 100K he gave me a look of distain, and argued , they didn't have big screen nav systems in cars 17 years ago...

So for anyone wanting to give their car and their driving experience that New car feel, putting in a Modern head unit is the way to go.... And you could not have a better expert than Dennis ( DD Mods) to help you with your budget, choice, and installation. He's a good guy.

Bill aka ET
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by unlvrebel

boxing up 37 bezel and radio combos now....
The following users liked this post:
unlvrebel (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 02:41 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Bill aka ET
as always thanks!

You should call me sometime to catch up on things!
Its been a while!
Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
as always thanks!

You should call me sometime to catch up on things!
Its been a while!
Dennis, I have to laugh.. thinking back in anxious anticipation like so many others, my self.. I'm smart enough to know that even though I am an absolute expert on the C5 platform... I also know that you are the undisputed expert when it comes to these audio sensory products, also as a vendor, your other products and services get my vote, only because you are the benchmark of forum vendors with morals and ethics and world class customer service. NO I am not gay .. Just pointing good members to a good resource that I highly recommend. Pointing people to a place to get the right answers.

The " ****" on my Kenwood .. " the volume **** " you suggest in strong terms ,and against my initial thoughts and vision, certainly has given me respect for your knowledge and in return, a lot of recommendations from me.

One of my professors in college once told me , " It is not important to know all the answers, but to know where to find all the answers" . When it comes to audio products for our cars, you are the place where I go to find the answers. That advice has been with me for 40 years.

You are a good man, my friend
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-09-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:32 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I don't know how **** you are, but I am fairly **** and a certified master OCD practitioner .
Some here will attest to those credentials.

I sent my Bezel to Dennis, but I fabricated ( from Cardboard ) a " Fill " for my Bezel area, painted it satin black, so my car did not look hacked for the 7 weeks it took to get my Bezel back.
seems reasonable to me. wish I still had some of that scrap black Formica my Dad built a cabinet with...I think I'm a member of the certifiable clan!
Old 01-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

seems reasonable to me. wish I still had some of that scrap black Formica my Dad built a cabinet with...I think I'm a member of the certifiable clan!
Formica is way too hard. wet Cardboard can be molded.. when dry, trimmed and painted, it does the job.. Not perfect but at midnight and doing 100 mph it becomes unnoticeable
Bill aka ET

a bit of sarcasm can be detected here.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-09-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

A roll former can work wonders. As can plaster casting mesh, Hardens real quick. Did I ever tell you about my friend who fixed his Tempest's rocker panels with Portland cement?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

A roll former can work wonders. As can plaster casting mesh, Hardens real quick. Did I ever tell you about my friend who fixed his Tempest's rocker panels with Portland cement?
No I would not. making a temporary 6 week Cover to hide exposed wires and frame work is not the same as fixing a permanent engine part using cement. I would rather go through the rest of my life in denial that such a person exists.

TYVM
Bill aka ET
Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

LOL. He was a wonderful guy, gone for about 20 years now, but a great character. I was referring to the rocker panels below the doors....that offer less stress?

Last edited by chasboy; 01-09-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

LOL. He was a wonderful guy, gone for about 20 years now, but a great character. I was referring to the rocker panels below the doors....that offer less stress?
Oh my mistake.. I do know that it does say on those Portland cement bags at Home depot, one of the uses is to fix rocker panels.. a perfectly good application for this protect.
I used it to do my rockers, I added some blue dye to get a visual reference.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I was wondering how you got such good results.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Rob 02

I was wondering how you got such good results.
It's all in getting the proper mix!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

It's all in getting the proper mix!
The only thing I worry about getting the " Mix" correct is my mother's meat ball recipe.

that's a spicy meat a ball.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:07 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

thanks guys

We have many new plans for this years changes on all your audio needs.

With Metra releasing a molded version it will allow us to have these instock or less than a week ship times for those who want that version.

They are ok in my eyes.
They will not have a cup holder lid and the ash tray section is kinda funky
They also have small section around the radio opening so the off branded radios will fit if you dremel them out. If you have one of them thats great but if you done then the Kenwood Pioneer ect will have a small spacer gap around them.
They are smooth flat charcoal gray finish so we will have to texure paint and put our touches to them for someone who wants a less expensive option quicker but does not care of want the true stock look like ours are when we make them.
The Metra version will look like this but with our touch. I have them on order and will post final pics with our touch on them shortly..

We will also be taking these and reworking them for a new option for you guys as well

As always we will still be making our version.

Here is a couple pics from CES>

Retail on these with our painted touches will be 259.99 plus shipping

I will post better before and after pics when I get them

I love the already modded console. Looks well done and would save me the work of figuring out how to paint the thing and make it look like this one.

Questions:
Is this console painted or dyed plastic?
The surface looks dull, will it remain that way?
Are head units universal enough that I can have assurance this will fit which ever head unit I choose to buy?

BTY, I visited Double D Mods, I looked at the C5 consoles available, but did not see anything under $400ish. Where is this $259 product as listed in this thread?

Last edited by gpruitt54; 01-09-2017 at 11:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: How to install Double-din Headunit in C5

Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I love the already modded console. Looks well done and would save me the work of figuring out how to paint the thing and make it look like this one.

Questions:
Is this console painted or dyed plastic?
The surface looks dull, will it remain that way?
Are head units universal enough that I can have assurance this will fit which ever head unit I choose to buy?

BTY, I visited Double D Mods, I looked at the C5 consoles available, but did not see anything under $400ish. Where is this $259 product as listed in this thread?

They are not available yet as I posted above.
They are raw flat black plastic in a charcoal gray finish from Metra with no texture and no paint. We will be texturing them and painting them correctly once available

The opening on a Metra product is always a larger opening than required. Once I get them in my possession I will show more detailed pics ext. again out of the box they will not be anywhere near the correct finish for the car.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:37 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

They are not available yet as I posted above.
They are raw flat black plastic in a charcoal gray finish from Metra with no texture and no paint. We will be texturing them and painting them correctly once available

The opening on a Metra product is always a larger opening than required. Once I get them in my possession I will show more detailed pics ext. again out of the box they will not be anywhere near the correct finish for the car.
Thanks for your quick reply. Once you make the adjustments, how much cost will the addition modifications add to the items retail?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:40 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Thanks for your quick reply. Once you make the adjustments, how much cost will the addition modifications add to the items retail?
The 259.99 price was after we do our work to them.
Will be packaging then with radios as well.

Last edited by Double D Mods; 01-10-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to install Double-din Headunit in C5