Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 2000 Nassau Blue Coupe with 4k miles... what do I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Great looking car. Good Luck :-)
The following users liked this post:
Dave C (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Dave C
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Here's from Compliance:
DO I NEED AN LMC5?
The answer is YES if you have one of the following C5 Corvettes:
1997-2004 with a manual transmission

1997-2000 with an automatic transmission

2001-2004 European export Corvettes with an automatic transmission

This means that over 126,000 Corvettes are susceptible to this debilitating problem. It is very likely that every one of them WILL experience failure of the steering column lock system at some time. Domestic 2001-2004 Corvettes with an automatic transmission have not been the subject of a recall for the column lock problem. Of course, since you can install an LMC5 in ANY 1997-2004 Corvette, you'll be covered regardless. You can always just keep an LMC5 and wrenches in the glove box, should you ever experience any column lock problems.
Thanks Brother - I'm just going to install it and forget it! nice follow up, 'appreciate it!!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:41 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
Here's from Compliance:
DO I NEED AN LMC5?
The answer is YES if you have one of the following C5 Corvettes:
1997-2004 with a manual transmission

1997-2000 with an automatic transmission

2001-2004 European export Corvettes with an automatic transmission

This means that over 126,000 Corvettes are susceptible to this debilitating problem. It is very likely that every one of them WILL experience failure of the steering column lock system at some time. Domestic 2001-2004 Corvettes with an automatic transmission have not been the subject of a recall for the column lock problem. Of course, since you can install an LMC5 in ANY 1997-2004 Corvette, you'll be covered regardless. You can always just keep an LMC5 and wrenches in the glove box, should you ever experience any column lock problems.
This is not what Compliance Parts told me at all. I bought the LMC5 from them because their website said its for ALL C5s. After installing in I got column lock message. I contacted them and they said its because I have an A4 and to remove it. They told me its not designed for an A4 and will cause the column lock message. I removed it and the column lock message went away. Of course, I wasnt offered a refund. So A4 owners use caution when thinking about the LMC5.

Last edited by Crosis; 03-22-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Crosis
This is not what Compliance Parts told me at all. I bought the LMC5 from them because their website said its for ALL C5s. After installing in I got column lock message. I contacted them and they said its because I have an A4 and to remove it. They told me its not designed for an A4 and will cause the column lock message. I removed it and the column lock message went away. Of course, I wasnt offered a refund. So A4 owners use caution when thinking about the LMC5.
The post is a direct copy from the Compliance website.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:24 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosis
PM sent, lemme know.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
Dave C
Pro

I put the LMC5 in yesterday, did not do the brown wire option. The car exhibited NO signs of the steering lock problem in the 4,524 miles it's been driven. I drove it ONE mile yesterday in between the snow squalls and all seems a-okay!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave C
I put the LMC5 in yesterday, did not do the brown wire option. The car exhibited NO signs of the steering lock problem in the 4,524 miles it's been driven. I drove it ONE mile yesterday in between the snow squalls and all seems a-okay!
Good deal. Typically when the system wants to lock up is when it's hot outside and you've started/stopped the car several times, say on a short trip, moving the car from one place to another, etc.. The best thing for ALL C5s is a good battery and clean/snug grounds. Once the battery begins to become compromised, you can be faced with a number of issues. Even if your battery is "NEW" (check the mfgr date code). Once I learned those things, and installed the CLB (not a LMC5), I haven't had any problems. QWICK! Someone find some wood!!! If you're battery is questionable, and even the recommended torque to the terminals is questionable... Guess what?
The following 2 users liked this post by BLUICIDE:
chasboy (03-29-2017), Dave C (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 AM
Dave C
Pro

Good feedback Blue - thanks, I'll check the date code on the battery, just to be sure!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:24 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave C
Good feedback Blue - thanks, I'll check the date code on the battery, just to be sure!
Some date codes are easy to decipher, some are not (barcodes, etc). Good luck. My last batt was bought and delivered to the counter at a MAJOR parts distribution warehouse. It wasn't "born" yet. The dates you see on the batts on the "shelf" have been planned to sit there for a while. Ask the parts place or garage to do a "Midtroincs" test. It's nothing more than a "voltage" test, so don't pay EXTRA. It also will reveal the capacitance and give you a benchmark when you compare others.

I don't work for anyone or promote said things. I simply know and understand batteries very well. Practice makes perfect.

On a C5 battery, I'd expect to see around 700 to as high as 900 seimens. 900 would equate to a damn good batt that would fit in the tray.

Be very aware of the FACT bad batts are being sold all day. No one understands it. Well, very few. In the telecom industry, we replace them 4 at a time.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
Some date codes are easy to decipher, some are not (barcodes, etc). Good luck. My last batt was bought and delivered to the counter at a MAJOR parts distribution warehouse. It wasn't "born" yet. The dates you see on the batts on the "shelf" have been planned to sit there for a while. Ask the parts place or garage to do a "Midtroincs" test. It's nothing more than a "voltage" test, so don't pay EXTRA. It also will reveal the capacitance and give you a benchmark when you compare others.

I don't work for anyone or promote said things. I simply know and understand batteries very well. Practice makes perfect.

On a C5 battery, I'd expect to see around 700 to as high as 900 seimens. 900 would equate to a damn good batt that would fit in the tray.

Be very aware of the FACT bad batts are being sold all day. No one understands it. Well, very few. In the telecom industry, we replace them 4 at a time.
Great info, from you're experience which batteries do you find the best?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tuco
Great info, from you're experience which batteries do you find the best?
I went from the standard issue lead wet to a AGM. You can use either. Just have it tested and go from there. Don't simply test the one they're gonna sell you, test all of them because then you'll have an understanding and a comparable "list" to. Most importantly is to decipher the date code. I won't begin to say which battery is the "best". You're armed. Make it happen. con·duct·ance
[kənˈdəktəns]
NOUN
the degree to which an object conducts electricity, calculated as the ratio of the current that flows to the potential difference present. This is the reciprocal of the resistance, and is measured in siemens or mhos. (Symbol: G). BUT ALWAYS test'em, because we all know no bad parts come off the shelf, right? Lol.
Dave C (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
I went from the standard issue lead wet to a AGM. You can use either. Just have it tested and go from there. Don't simply test the one they're gonna sell you, test all of them because then you'll have an understanding and a comparable "list" to. Most importantly is to decipher the date code. I won't begin to say which battery is the "best". You're armed. Make it happen. con·duct·ance
[kənˈdəktəns]
NOUN
the degree to which an object conducts electricity, calculated as the ratio of the current that flows to the potential difference present. This is the reciprocal of the resistance, and is measured in siemens or mhos. (Symbol: G). BUT ALWAYS test'em, because we all know no bad parts come off the shelf, right? Lol.

ty
Old 03-29-2017, 09:21 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

You know what's funny to me is that I had a redtop in my Challenger and other "premium " batteries, yet the boring, run of the mill Exide in this coupe is the best I've had.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Dave C
Pro

New pics today of the undercarriage of my 4,500 mile car - now with the new C6/Z51 sway bars and Cultrag endlinks, also with the Z06 ti axleback, the new polished Y2k's and BFG Comp 2's go on tomorrow

New Z06 Fuel Rail Covers for a little pop under the hood

As new a C5 as I could find for under $20k

Front setup, can't wait to give bars a little twisting!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 PM
MTruck
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome color and just in time for great weather.

I had a 2000 FRC in white with only 8k miles. I experienced the "help I'm being stolen" shut down experience. Once your car gets used to running you will have a great time I am sure! There was a 67 big block around my way that had 425,000 miles on it. That's a bit excessive, but cars love to be driven. LOL
Old 04-11-2017, 01:44 AM
My Vette Life
Safety Car

Received 240 Likes on 186 Posts

I'd inspect every rubber hose.
flush the gas tanks
Replace all rubber on the suspension and shocks.
replace rotors and pads

OEM replacement works just fine.

Pray

The milage is a concern for me since I wouldn't know what to expect from a 17 year old engine and trans that is almost broken in.

It's an awesome museum piece.
Dave C (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:54 AM
work_truck
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

What I've found to be most frustrating is that, due to age I'm sure, I'm having all the "typical" c5 problems.

The low mileage only works in your favor to a point.

Luckily everything so far has been things that needed to be replaced anyways. But some things like the diff drip are a bit more frustrating.

Just means it needs C6z insides I suppose
Dave C (04-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Buying 2000 Nassau Blue Coupe with 4k miles... what do I do first?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 AM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Default Got any runnin' buddies?

Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Dave C
Pro

Gotta get me some! A friend of mine has a 04 Commemorative Coupe, he and I are taking the wives to Bowling Green this summer - that should be fun! Here's my car with new polished wheels, tires, and the new license plate that came in yesterday. Now it's time to drive her! I have some blue lens tint that I'll be applying to the front plate cover this week-end.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Gotta get me some! A friend of mine has a 04 Commemorative Coupe, he and I are taking the wives to Bowling Green this summer - that should be fun! Here's my car with new polished wheels, tires, and the new license plate that came in yesterday. Now it's time to drive her! I have some blue lens tint that I'll be applying to the front plate cover this week-end.

Cool. My bud has a 2004 Comm Ed Z06. Between the four of us, we'd make a helluva set of bookends.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Buying 2000 Nassau Blue Coupe with 4k miles... what do I do first?