Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 535 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default To paint rotor hats, or not...

I know its been asked and I see there are plenty of "how to's", but I'm debating on if it serves any purpose other than cosmetic? I've recently replaced pads and rotors and painted my calipers, and the car hasn't been driven yet since I've done it. Its actually still up on the jack stands! Would it be better to paint those too, now, while its all still new, and easy to get to since I only need to pull them off?

I have a triple black vert, and have painted the calipers red. I have 2 sets of wheels now. A chrome set of C6 replica's and a black with polished lip set of Speedline replicas. If I paint the rotor hats, would just a clear be best? Gloss black (also with a clear) be good? Another color? I'm afraid if black, it'll look "too black" with the black speedlines. If it's just cleared, it might look too "chrome" with the C6 replicas.

Suggestions please! I have too many thoughts running in my mind.

pics of wheels:

Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

It can serve purposes other than cosmetic.

As you brake carbon build up occurs all over the braking structures; calipers, rotors, wheels, etc. A painted surface can provide some degree of protection against bare surfaces where these carbon particles and build-up can potentially interact in a negative manner. Commonly, the negative interaction leads to nasty looking hat surfaces. Remember that the brakes do not apply against the hat or the circumferences, which means no "dusting" of those surfaces occur; you would have to maintain them through cleaning and/or detail work.

The only immediately negative occurrence I can think of is a painted hat when torqued down with a wheel installed could "stick" or peel portions off if you remove the wheel. It would obviously not be in a visible portion with a wheel installed. I'd recommend more than say one or two layers of paint. Overspray is not necessarily an issue with brake rotors because any paint on the braking surfaces will disappear when you apply brakes for the first few times (brakes will be weird at first, but eventually braking action will remove paint on braking surfaces).

Personally I would go with black. Black not only gives depth but gives the appearance of a custom brake setup. However keep in mind this comes from a person that despises anything chrome with a passion.
The following users liked this post:
BAT (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
It can serve purposes other than cosmetic.

As you brake carbon build up occurs all over the braking structures; calipers, rotors, wheels, etc. A painted surface can provide some degree of protection against bare surfaces where these carbon particles and build-up can potentially interact in a negative manner. Commonly, the negative interaction leads to nasty looking hat surfaces. Remember that the brakes do not apply against the hat or the circumferences, which means no "dusting" of those surfaces occur; you would have to maintain them through cleaning and/or detail work.

The only immediately negative occurrence I can think of is a painted hat when torqued down with a wheel installed could "stick" or peel portions off if you remove the wheel. It would obviously not be in a visible portion with a wheel installed. I'd recommend more than say one or two layers of paint. Overspray is not necessarily an issue with brake rotors because any paint on the braking surfaces will disappear when you apply brakes for the first few times (brakes will be weird at first, but eventually braking action will remove paint on braking surfaces).

Personally I would go with black. Black not only gives depth but gives the appearance of a custom brake setup. However keep in mind this comes from a person that despises anything chrome with a passion.
Good stuff, thanks.

I too am leaning towards black. The more pics I look at, the more I like the black hats.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:15 AM
98C5P
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

I painted the hats on my old C5 flat black, looks much better , and got rid of some rust.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

When left unpainted, do most folks polish the surface to get a shiny finish?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:27 AM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by unlvrebel
When left unpainted, do most folks polish the surface to get a shiny finish?
Some will apply a clear coat to leave that "shiny" new finish. Clearing should help prevent or at least slow the rusting process.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,227 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

For the rotor hats, black or silver would be my choice.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I've found that by painting the rotors when new, it better resists the rust that accumulates in the cooling vanes and the "hats" of the rotors. Many times after washing a vehicle with unpainted (or plated) rotors and paying particular attention to the calipers and rotors, a day or two later, I will find streaks of rust on the inside barrel of the wheels. This is usually from rust on the rotors that runs down on the rim after washing the car.

I've tried to utilize only cad-plated rotors ever since when replacing rotors or cleaning un-plated rotors thoroughly and painting them before installation. Especially so on a vehicle with open wheels such as yours where they are so easily seen.

I installed a set of zinc plated rotors on my 2000 hardtop close to 10 years ago and they have held up very well. Here is a set I painted on my '73 after rebuilding the calipers a few years back.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Painted mine recently in preparation for mounting. I went with 3 coats of VHT (900 deg. F) satin black followed by 3 more coats of satin clear VHT paint. I also painted the vanes and holes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-rebuild.html

Note that I left the wheel/rotor interface bare for best fit.

Back side of rotors
Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patches
Painted mine recently in preparation for mounting. I went with 3 coats of VHT (900 deg. F) satin black followed by 3 more coats of satin clear VHT paint. I also painted the vanes and holes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-rebuild.html

Note that I left the wheel/rotor interface bare for best fit.

Back side of rotors

Looks fantastic! Not sure I'll have the time, or motivation, to do it like that.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

It's all personal preference. I went with chrome rotor hat covers and I've gotten a lot of compliments on them.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
It's all personal preference. I went with chrome rotor hat covers and I've gotten a lot of compliments on them.

I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go as well. Do they just slip on?
Old 01-18-2017, 06:12 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr31FlavorsVette
I'm thinking that's the way I'm going to go as well. Do they just slip on?
YES. I had them put on the same time as the rotors and calipers. I think the calipers have to be loosened during installation, but I am not 100% sure.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default My Rotors are alumium nitrate coated.

My rotors are two piece with light weight aluminum centers ( hats ) they are black aluminum nitrated. They dissipate heat, I use soft OEM ACDelco pads to polish my fire paths, I use VHT silver header paint to coat the inside ( Vane area ) and the sinusoidal radius holes..

These rotors have 80,000 miles on them and are 14 years old. No cracks and no heat related discoloration. These rotors have been through 2 different sets of CCW 505 over the last 16 years, replaced for wider wheels.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-18-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 PM
BAT
Le Mans Master

Ok, I painted the rotor hats. I like it much better. I repainted my calipers too since I wasn't happy with the way they originally came out. I only did one side so far.

I went with Rustoleum high heat (engine) paint. Gloss black. I also used Rustoleum clear. Caliper paint was also Rustoleum (caliper paint). I did a few coats of each. Much, much better!!!

A couple before and some after.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Nice job! Looks great!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes BLACK!
But definitely NOT RED, which I've seen on this forum.

frank

Get notified of new replies

To To paint rotor hats, or not...

Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

Painted mine about 10 years ago with gloss black high temp paint, still looks good.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:33 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

When I grow up all I want is to have my rotors look as nice as ET's do.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Just so I'm clear here, the "hats" are part of the rotor and the hat covers are separate parts.
One remark about overspray, I once spray painted the spokes of another one of my cars, on the car and thought I protected the braking surface. Ended up with new brakes.
Bill, do you have any thoughts about hat covers? I'm referencing those dust "covers" that were somewhat popular years ago but fell out of favor because of heat build up, etc. they were called Klein Wheels.
My hats are in pretty good shape, better than my Z, which had less miles when I got it. I'm on the fence with color, thinking maybe body color or black, maybe chrome if I get the covers.

Last edited by chasboy; 02-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: To paint rotor hats, or not...