Stereo headunit question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Stereo headunit question

Im looking at crutchfield for a new headunit right now. And almost every unit says that we need to cut out/unbolt a support bracket. Just want to make sure we are just unbolting something and not cutting out a support bracket in there.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
MBVette
Race Director

cool thanks. Going with one of the ones that fits w/ no modification then
Old 01-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Be sure you know

Be sure you know that these radios do not come plug and play. If you are going to use the existing speakers you need an adapter.. You may want to check out Dennis at DD mods.. before you commit to Crutchfield.

With Dennis you will get his personal support, when you get a head unit from him, it is truly plug and play, with the proper adapters and wiring..
His service before during and after the sale is fantastic, he's a nice guy, and very accessible.. there is no obligation to give him a call . he will even tell you what you need if you want to buy from Crutchfield.

You tell him what you want or give him your budget and he will give you the best bang for your dollar. With him you are a real person and not just an order number. IM not affiliated with him or his company , just one of the hundreds of loyal customers on this forum. Bill aka ET

http://www.doubledmods.com/

(608) 854-2033 or (608) 854-2034

574 State Rd. 80
Hazel Green Wi. 53811

Monday-Friday 8-5 CST
Old 01-18-2017, 01:04 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Cool Ill shoot him an email
Old 01-18-2017, 01:06 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

with what he said. Wrapping up my new system from Dennis. A system that I priced individually against Crutchfield. I did far better.

Originally Posted by MBVette
Im looking at crutchfield for a new headunit right now. And almost every unit says that we need to cut out/unbolt a support bracket. Just want to make sure we are just unbolting something and not cutting out a support bracket in there.

Thanks
You note that every unit talks to cut out/unbolt a support bracket... Leads me to believe that you are looking at double din units. Keep in mind that Corvettes are 1.5 din. You will need to adjust your bezel too. If you arte looking at single din, I don't suspect that there will be a need for any cutting as you will be mounting somewhere in the middle of the existing hole.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Thanks
Don't let removing the bracket intimidate you.. If you are going to spend the money for a very limited selection, you will lose a lot of features found in units that require removal of this bracket. it only takes a dremel to remove the bracket. You are going to wind up with a single din head unit and a big ugly faceplate that covers up the din and a half opening. Do some research before you commit to anything... you don't want a unit with a pop up screen of you want navigation, because these popup units cover your main AC and Heater vents. Just some things to consider before your jump in with both feet.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:29 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Cool Ill shoot him an email
and I think I have already replied...
if that was you a few minutes ago
Old 01-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Dennis, If I was gay, I would want you to be my husband.. UT OH.. the drugs are kicking in.... It may have something to do with my screen name too.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
Yup and replied back. Quickest email conversation ever
Old 01-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Yup and replied back. Quickest email conversation ever
Don't leave us in the dark here> !
Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Don't let removing the bracket intimidate you.. If you are going to spend the money for a very limited selection, you will lose a lot of features found in units that require removal of this bracket. it only takes a dremel to remove the bracket. You are going to wind up with a single din head unit and a big ugly faceplate that covers up the din and a half opening. Do some research before you commit to anything... you don't want a unit with a pop up screen of you want navigation, because these popup units cover your main AC and Heater vents. Just some things to consider before your jump in with both feet.
Bill aka ET

Bill, I have a double DIN on my '03 that bought a few months ago. It's also a Kenwood similar to the pic - although I believe it's a little larger face unit with button controls across bar at bottom.
I have a question - how did you get the C5 logo on the face of yours ? That looks very cool and I'd like to do the same if possible.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:39 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Don't leave us in the dark here> !
Inquiring minds want to know...
He is going to get some optiosn put together for me.

Im only going single din, dont see a need to go double din.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

He is going to get some optiosn put together for me.

Im only going single din, dont see a need to go double din.
You may regret not updating your HU to a double din.. but that's your call. as far as Dennis or Crutchfield, you made a good decision to at least get his input. This is what I call doing the research.. Having a guy like Dennis have your back, is in your best interest.

Bill aka ET
Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Bill, I have a double DIN on my '03 that bought a few months ago. It's also a Kenwood similar to the pic - although I believe it's a little larger face unit with button controls across bar at bottom.
I have a question - how did you get the C5 logo on the face of yours ? That looks very cool and I'd like to do the same if possible.
I designed them in Photoshop I then converted them to BMP which is the format. mydesignfile.bmp
FYI a bitmap, is a raster graphics image file format used to store bitmap digital images.

The boot screen will only accept a bitmap file format. Bitmaps transfer to DIB files internally.
A device-independent bitmap (DIB) is a format used to define device-independent bitmaps in various color resolutions. The main purpose of DIBs is to allow bitmaps to be moved from one device to another.
Also each manufacturer has very specific parameters for their boot screen. when you make your own design, it has to be the same resolution.

You can use a bit map converter, or have someone make you a file,

You then have to access the HU boot screen, then upload that bmp file next to the default boot screen file, and change the default.to your own file so when the HU boots up it boots up using your file..
There is no easy way to do this. You just can't be another pretty face like me.

TMI ?
Bill aka ET

I designed a few different BMP files.

These are JPG's for this forum...

You need to know what format your head unit is using for its boot screen and also the exact resolution... You can get this information from Kenwood support. You also have to know how to access the internal file memory ( where the boot screen default is located ) and have the ability to put the file on a flash drive, plug it into your head unit via USB and uploaded to the boot screen file.

Like I said its not easy . " its only easy if you know how to do it ".. much like brain surgery... ( quote from a Neurosurgeon I know )

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-18-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM
C5Txfan
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I designed them in Photoshop I then converted them to BMP which is the format. mydesignfile.bmp
FYI a bitmap, is a raster graphics image file format used to store bitmap digital images.

The boot screen will only accept a bitmap file format. Bitmaps transfer to DIB files internally.
A device-independent bitmap (DIB) is a format used to define device-independent bitmaps in various color resolutions. The main purpose of DIBs is to allow bitmaps to be moved from one device to another.
Also each manufacturer has very specific parameters for their boot screen. when you make your own design, it has to be the same resolution.

You can use a bit map converter, or have someone make you a file,

You then have to access the HU boot screen, then upload that bmp file next to the default boot screen file, and change the default.to your own file so when the HU boots up it boots up using your file..
There is no easy way to do this. You just can't be another pretty face like me.

TMI ?
Bill aka ET

I designed a few different BMP files.

These are JPG's for this forum...

You need to know what format your head unit is using for its boot screen and also the exact resolution... You can get this information from Kenwood support. You also have to know how to access the internal file memory ( where the boot screen default is located ) and have the ability to put the file on a flash drive, plug it into your head unit via USB and uploaded to the boot screen file.

Like I said its not easy . " its only easy if you know how to do it ".. much like brain surgery... ( quote from a Neurosurgeon I know )
Thanks for the info Bill. Does sound a lot like brain surgery to me .. so I guess I'll stick with the screen it comes with

Still .. does look very - you did a great job !
Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by C5Txfan
Thanks for the info Bill. Does sound a lot like brain surgery to me .. so I guess I'll stick with the screen it comes with

Still .. does look very - you did a great job !
Thank you, If you can't be pretty, you might as well know a few things because you have seen a few things..

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-18-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Thank you, If you can't be pretty, you might as well know a few things because you have seen a few things..

Bill aka ET

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo headunit question

Quick Reply: Stereo headunit question