Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L5 rear fenders...install at their shop??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 99 Posts

Default L5 rear fenders...install at their shop??

Thinking of going wide body with rear fenders....since I'm in Florida I though about bringing my car to Lewis Motorsports to have them install their wide rear fenders....has anyone else had them do the work/paint? My assumption would be who better to install the fenders and do the paint work than the manufacturer.

Also looking to get new wheels...leaning towards CCW classics in 18" front and rear...don't want any wheel poke...any advice on specs let me know!!

All the best,

Michael
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck9
Thinking of going wide body with rear fenders....since I'm in Florida I though about bringing my car to Lewis Motorsports to have them install their wide rear fenders....has anyone else had them do the work/paint? My assumption would be who better to install the fenders and do the paint work than the manufacturer.

Also looking to get new wheels...leaning towards CCW classics in 18" front and rear...don't want any wheel poke...any advice on specs let me know!!

All the best,

Michael
Not sure about their body work, but their fenders need a good body shop who knows fiberglass. Their fenders need time to get right. I have had them installed twice by two different shops took them time. They needed to be gelled and sanded and fitted more than it should for the price. Without this the paint will look bad and fitment worse. My last shop has time in them. So if you decide to use a shop, expect 12-15 hours plus paint maybe more.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like you need to be careful about the shop you choose if they need that much prep. I would be skeptical of their ability based on the above comments unless they also do high end collision work.

Good luck

Last edited by Forcedvert; 01-18-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
Sounds like you need to be careful about the shop you choose if they need that much prep. I would be skeptical of their ability based on the above comments unless they also do high end collision work also.

Good luck
If they were smart they wouldn't work on their own stuff.
My shop had them first day out in sun to dry, how he knew they weren't dry is why you need a good shop that knows glass. They had thin spots on them that he had to build up. Gelled and sanded twice. Shaved at seems to look like a factory install otherwise would do had uneven seem.. painted inside and outside. He did me a favor charged me $1,600. I swore to him the guy who made them was a vette guy, guys like them on and on so he quoted me sight unseen $1,200, than he got them and I seen his face.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Sounds like you need to be careful about the shop you choose if they need that much prep. I would be skeptical of their ability based on the above comments unless they also do high end collision work also.

Good luck
They need to know glass old school not today's composite and rubbers.
The guy that did mine are restorers and collision.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Good luck
I can't emphasize enough how true this is. I learned the hardway. I had a my Tigershark front installed first at standard body shop that does straight removal and replacement of factory body panels. It turned out to be a disaster. The job was so bad, the owner of the shop saw my car and told me he wouldn't bother charging me despite his workers spending over a week on it. I then went to a body shop that does custom work. The result was amazing! The key words: Custom, aftermarket (nonfactory) body parts
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
They need to know glass old school not today's composite and rubbers.
The guy that did mine are restorers and collision.
I didn't mean to leave that out. I have friend that has a shop and they can do both, my point is, it's a big deal like you are saying. If they say it's not, run the other way, any good shop knows aftermarket glass panels never just bolt on.

Get notified of new replies

To L5 rear fenders...install at their shop??

Quick Reply: L5 rear fenders...install at their shop??