Sponsored by:

C5 headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 AM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C5 headlight bulbs

Can anyone tell me if the higher wattage headlight bulbs are worth the cost of replacement? I see some advertised as 100 watt for high beam and I believe 80 watt for the low beam application. I'm really not looking to do a major (read high dollar) change in my headlights, just thought if the higher wattage bulbs would actually make a difference I'd give them a try. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 AM
digi2t
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 39 Posts

You may want to check the laws regarding bulb wattage. Around here 80 and 100 watts are for off road use only, not to mention that you'll be annoying as **** to other drivers on the road.

I went with a combo of 9011/9012, 7500K super whites, and it made a heck of a difference. You do have to modify one of the tangs for them to fit though, but that's a two second job with a Dremel and a diamond wheel. Just use the old bulbs as a guide.

I also upped the wattage on the DRL's (bulb number escapes me now, but I do believe they're 55w), and reaimed them to the same height as the low beams. Huge difference there too. Don't need to use the headlights now until it gets really dark out.

All in all, best mod for improving the headlights on the C5 without spending a ton of money.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Increased bulb wattage may increase the light output. I never read any data on how much improvement increased wattage bulbs provide. But at the wattage your looking at your stock wiring harness may be damaged over time. I'd recommend a high voltage wiring harness connected directly to the battery.

Another been there done that warning - I started down the same path your asking about years back and ended up with a small box of unused headlight bulbs before finally doing the HID conversion.

Good luck with your mod.

Last edited by MAC5; 01-28-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Originally Posted by digi2t
You may want to check the laws regarding bulb wattage. Around here 80 and 100 watts are for off road use only, not to mention that you'll be annoying as **** to other drivers on the road.

I went with a combo of 9011/9012, 7500K super whites, and it made a heck of a difference. You do have to modify one of the tangs for them to fit though, but that's a two second job with a Dremel and a diamond wheel. Just use the old bulbs as a guide.

I also upped the wattage on the DRL's (bulb number escapes me now, but I do believe they're 55w), and reaimed them to the same height as the low beams. Huge difference there too. Don't need to use the headlights now until it gets really dark out.

All in all, best mod for improving the headlights on the C5 without spending a ton of money.

I would be interested in the bulb number for the DRL,s if you can find it. Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Omaha Flash
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAC5
Increased bulb wattage may increase the light output. I never read any data on how much improvement increased wattage bulbs provide. But at the wattage your looking at your stock wiring harness may be damaged over time. I'd recommend a high voltage wiring harness connected directly to the battery.

Another been there done that warning - I started down the same path your asking about years back and ended up with a small box of unused headlight bulbs before finally doing the HID conversion.

Good luck with your mod.
I realize the increased wattage will likely increase the amp draw but I would really be surprised if it would increase enough to be an issue. I guess I'll have to do more checking before I spend around $100.00 for bulbs. Thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 12:09 PM
digi2t
Instructor

Originally Posted by MAC5

Good luck with your mod.

Totally agree with the increased load on your wiring, charging system, etc. I forgot to mention that in my initial post. Thanks MAC5.

As for the DRL bulbs, they're #885. They come in at 50w. I used the 5000K model. I've closely examined the wiring in my C5 since installing them, and I haven't seen any overheating due to the higher wattage. Still using the original fuse too.
You must reaim the DRL lights to get the full potential though. I used the low beams as a reference. When it gets dark, set up about 15 freet in front of the garage door, and mark the upper edge of the low beam lights with two pieces of tape. Kill the low beams, and now bring the upper edge of the beam of the DRL's to the tape. Oh yeah, you'll need a Torx bit for the adjustment screws.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't think the DRL can be adjusted. Are you thinking the fog lights here?
The following users liked this post:
chasboy (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:57 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

What I found with the DRLs is over time, the heat from the (OEM) bulbs eventually melts a hole in the housing. If the bulbs don't blow (common occurrence on mine) then the melted hole allows water in the housing, which both blows the build and corrodes the socket.

Given that experience, I would be cautious about putting in a higher wattage bulb (which will generate that much more heat)

Agree with Carl - are you thinking fog light, but saying DRLs?
Or are you talking the 55 watt LED replacement bulb?

Last edited by aj98; 01-28-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:53 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default This makes no sense

Originally Posted by digi2t

whatsoever. One of us is confused. Probably me, but the DRLs don't see like they can be aimed. And, too much wattage in the DRLs will cause a meltdown.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:16 PM
digi2t
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
I don't think the DRL can be adjusted. Are you thinking the fog lights here?

Sorry, I stand corrected. I mean to say fog lights. Since I keep mine on all the time, I've come to consider them like DRL's. Carl is correct. Thanks!

So, the 885 bulbs are for the FOG LIGHTS. Those you can aim, like I described before.

Apologies for any confusion I may have created.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:30 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Just do the 9005 conversion (easy as pie) and be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 headlight bulbs

Quick Reply: C5 headlight bulbs