Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by VendettaC5
So am I correct to assume that what you're saying is if I have to match my black leather interior by having this DD console wrapped, I'd have to eliminate the ashtray section?
This bezel will need to me modified yes for leather
The opening will need to be modified
The ash tray section will need to be filled in for best look. We prob can do it with the ash tray shown in leather but will want to try it first to see results.
and the cup holder to me would need to be filled in as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:22 PM
VendettaC5
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
This bezel will need to me modified yes for leather
The opening will need to be modified
The ash tray section will need to be filled in for best look. We prob can do it with the ash tray shown in leather but will want to try it first to see results.
and the cup holder to me would need to be filled in as well.
Hmmm, it's def not much of a cup holder but it is something. Maybe I'll just go with the black non leather. Is any of those pioneers able to synchronize with the 12 cd changer That's in my trunk
Old 02-16-2017, 06:23 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by VendettaC5
Hmmm, it's def not much of a cup holder but it is something. Maybe I'll just go with the black non leather. Is any of those pioneers able to synchronize with the 12 cd changer That's in my trunk
not able to retain the 12 disck changer with any radio I am sorry to say.

I will be putting together preorder radio deals as soon as tomorrow/this weekend as well.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Installed pics

STOCK BEZEL

METRA MOLDED VERSION WITH OUR FINISH

OUR Hand Made Version
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Dennis here is a thought.. my mind is always working... that is until the day it stops..

Over my time here, promoting this double d option. Ive had many people ask me questions both in open forum and more so in PM..

One of the tings that holds people back that Ive noted is that they are reluctant to give up their Bezel for a month or so. I had to fabricate a bezel from cardboard that look good from a distance and did not expose the radio cradle and wires .How about this.. people on a tight budget might be more willing to jump on board with the Metra alternate, but would leave many with a good bezel that was useless, many do not want to get involved with Ebay or Craigs list.. but would be willing to send you their Bezel once its removed and the new bezel installed... it would give them aliitle more budget money, and a resource for you to make OEM bezels.

For the budget minded you could offer them a fair price. The only hitch might be a customer send you a less than perfect bezel that wont be worth the money to you. then what do you do , send it back to them at their expense.. Its just avenue to explore. and debug.

if money was tight, some might want that extra 100 dollars for a bezel they would never use again. Just a thought.. this is your sand box..

Bill aka ET call me LOL..
I like Bill's idea, it would allow me to purchase a full custom DoubleD bezel without having my car apart. You could refund a core charge after you receive a customers bezel and inspect it...no risk involved.

Personally I don't smoke and don't allow smoking in any of my vehicles or house so I don't need an ashtray or cigarette lighter. My 2017 Silverado did not come with an ashtray, it's a GM accessory that can be purchased so I'd prefer not to have one and others may feel the same? Also, IMHO the drink holder is too shallow for my needs to hold a large drink cup from Sonic, I've toppled at least 2 in my time. A good stomp on the gas will topple a cup and I don't drink anything from cans.

I think the Metra bezel with your finish is a great idea, however personally I prefer your custom work on configuration of the bezel.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm on the pre-order and these are a couple of my thoughts.

I always hesitated to do this in the past exactly for the same reasons stated above. I didn't want to be without something covering my console or radio wiring for the length of time needed. I daily drive the car and it actually gets used, meaning I drink coffee and carry passengers and do all the things normal transportation mostly accomplishes. This bezel gives me the opportunity to have something in there at the same time that the new radio gets installed. And, if I don't like it so much I can still send Dennis the factory bezel for modification.

Drink holder hole. I currently don't have a door because I broke it while cleaning the car one day. My solution was to stick a cell phone cradle in the hole and this has worked amazingly well for me. (images are from Amazon of the exact cradle I use)

As far as the ash tray hole.... I'm not sure what I'll do there other than install a USB port in the hole for the cigar lighter. I'm thinking of creating some kind of a switch panel for the other cubby for powering future heated seats.

Anyhow, I'm excited about having a new head unit and backup camera for the spring!!
Attached Images   
Old 02-18-2017, 04:04 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I like Bill's idea, it would allow me to purchase a full custom DoubleD bezel without having my car apart. You could refund a core charge after you receive a customers bezel and inspect it...no risk involved.

Personally I don't smoke and don't allow smoking in any of my vehicles or house so I don't need an ashtray or cigarette lighter. My 2017 Silverado did not come with an ashtray, it's a GM accessory that can be purchased so I'd prefer not to have one and others may feel the same? Also, IMHO the drink holder is too shallow for my needs to hold a large drink cup from Sonic, I've toppled at least 2 in my time. A good stomp on the gas will topple a cup and I don't drink anything from cans.

I think the Metra bezel with your finish is a great idea, however personally I prefer your custom work on configuration of the bezel.

We have always allowed for core return.

We just prefer to work with new bezels is all when making them.
Its much easier for prep work on new bezels is all.
With years of cleaners on bezels it makes it fun sometimes to paint them
As always we cater to everyone specific needs and situation
SO calling and discussing options with me is always best and recommended
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

We have always allowed for core return.

We just prefer to work with new bezels is all when making them.
Its much easier for prep work on new bezels is all.
With years of cleaners on bezels it makes it fun sometimes to paint them
As always we cater to everyone specific needs and situation
SO calling and discussing options with me is always best and recommended
Are the Metra bezels suitable for leather covering? I thought I read earlier in this thread where the oem bezel is best for leather application due to fitment/tolerance?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:07 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Are the Metra bezels suitable for leather covering? I thought I read earlier in this thread where the oem bezel is best for leather application due to fitment/tolerance?
At This time
NO
We would still have to modify the Metra Bezel to allow for it to work with leather.

We would need to widen opening at top
fill in the ash tray section
fill in the cup holder section.
SO by the time we did all this its not going to be much different than it will be for ours.

We will be trying to do what we can with a Metra bezel for leather soon to see what our options will be

I have an idea brewing for the ash tray section I am going to work on I am sure you will all love.

Dennis
Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Not bad! Good looking option and priced well. Good luck with these Dennis.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by biggrizzly

I always hesitated to do this in the past exactly for the same reasons stated above. I didn't want to be without something covering my console or radio wiring for the length of time needed. I daily drive the car and it actually gets used, meaning I drink coffee and carry passengers and do all the things normal transportation mostly accomplishes. This bezel gives me the opportunity to have something in there at the same time that the new radio gets installed. And, if I don't like it so much I can still send Dennis the factory bezel for modification.

Drink holder hole. I currently don't have a door because I broke it while cleaning the car one day. My solution was to stick a cell phone cradle in the hole and this has worked amazingly well for me. (images are from Amazon of the exact cradle I use)

As far as the ash tray hole.... I'm not sure what I'll do there other than install a USB port in the hole for the cigar lighter. I'm thinking of creating some kind of a switch panel for the other cubby for powering future heated seats.

Anyhow, I'm excited about having a new head unit and backup camera for the spring!!
Grizz, I'd love to see how that Amazon phone holder fits in the "cup holder". Does it leave any gaps?
Old 02-19-2017, 01:19 AM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stupid question, so what I'm reading there is no way to add the small door that's on our factory bezels to the cup holder? It just looks so trashy, I wish they would have just left it blank
Old 02-19-2017, 09:18 AM
gr1634
Instructor

Default Bezel

Originally Posted by biggrizzly

Griz

I assume you bought the 3.75 inch for the C5? --- looked it up on Amazon and apparently it is "adjustable" --sorry

Gr

Last edited by gr1634; 02-19-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chasboy
Grizz, I'd love to see how that Amazon phone holder fits in the "cup holder". Does it leave any gaps?
Here ya go chasboy!
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
stupid question, so what i'm reading there is no way to add the small door that's on our factory bezels to the cup holder? It just looks so trashy, i wish they would have just left it blank
because in the stock cupholder it allows for you to insert pins into it for the cup holder to be held on and move

these do not have that options
Old 02-19-2017, 03:22 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

because in the stock cupholder it allows for you to insert pins into it for the cup holder to be held on and move

these do not have that options
Ok thanks for the reply, from your website it looks like it's 449.00 for one of yours, with no core or 499.00 for one without an ashtray. Is that Total, plus shipping of course?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
Ok thanks for the reply, from your website it looks like it's 449.00 for one of yours, with no core or 499.00 for one without an ashtray. Is that Total, plus shipping of course?
correct yes

Get notified of new replies

To New Molded Double Din Bezel Option for $249.99

Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

because in the stock cupholder it allows for you to insert pins into it for the cup holder to be held on and move these do not have that options
Are those tabs on the Metro cup holder part of the mold, or are they some kind of pliable material?

Griz, thanks for that pic! I bought this thing with a USB at one end and IPhone plug on the other. It's made of stiff, but flexible "cable" that supposedly can hold an iPhone in place, but after seeing it, I have serious doubts. Yours looks like exactly what I need.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by chasboy
Are those tabs on the Metro cup holder part of the mold, or are they some kind of pliable material?

Griz, thanks for that pic! I bought this thing with a USB at one end and IPhone plug on the other. It's made of stiff, but flexible "cable" that supposedly can hold an iPhone in place, but after seeing it, I have serious doubts. Yours looks like exactly what I need.
the rubber portion is an insert
Here is a pic without the insert
The following 2 users liked this post by Double D Mods:
biggrizzly (02-20-2017), chasboy (02-20-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It looks like you could glue a stock cup holder in that spot from the bottom.

Quick Reply: New Molded Double Din Bezel Option for $249.99