C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Flooring

Old 02-20-2017, 08:01 PM
USRobo
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful garage, floor and C5. I think I have the same exhaust on my C5 by GHL.

You guys have given me some great ideas.
Question the weight of the jack, jack stands etc. does not crack the tile?

Originally Posted by Choreo
I used commercial-grade 8"x8" industrial tile for a non-skid surface. As long as you don't drop a heavy tool on it an crack one (has not happened yet in 15 years), no problems and very easy to keep clean. I did the whole garage myself in a long weekend at about $2,000 as I recall.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 PM
USRobo
Pro

One additional question for you.
What are the stands under your tires? Brand, etc. They look like they will work good for me until I get a lift.
Thanks

Normally you would just need to etch the concrete by mopping with Muratic Acid and rinsing, but in my case it was a major pain because I used the floor epoxy paint a couple years earlier. Getting the epoxy off was one of the hardest jobs I ever tackled!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Z06Shark
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I've done Epoxy .... twice. No worky.
Going to try Race Deck next.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by USRobo
Question the weight of the jack, jack stands etc. does not crack the tile?
No. Think about it... less than 1,000-lbs per corner. there are several square inches of contact area with the floor - even if the weight were concentrated over 4 square inches, it would be like me standing on a bottle cap with one leg! In reality is is far less per square inch, but I do put down heavy rubber mats when I use the Kwik Lift to be on the safe side.

I have jacked my C5 up probably 100 times with various jacking methods - never damaged a tile.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by USRobo
One additional question for you.
What are the stands under your tires? Brand, etc. They look like they will work good for me until I get a lift.
Thanks
MyLiftStand. They go up twice as high as what you see in the photo. They are sold in pairs and I bought 2 sets...

Old 02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

I have Racedeck, in another post it was said it was buckling, but if it is installed properly it can expand & contract. The only issue I have with mine is with soft compound tires, I have Nitto invo's they leave marks on my floor, other than that I have no complaints, & if you damage a tile it can be removed & replaced.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

The Day the epoxy was finished

Looks Great! I really like professionally installed and textured epoxy floors.

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
It needed, I believe 24 hours. They gave it more time than that though, just in case.

I don't know the exact cost-everyone's will be different. This guy included taking the old floor, cleaning the concrete, etc. etc.
The key to epoxy is preparation. Most residential garage floors need to be roughed up first using a diamond tip to allow the epoxy to have something to grab onto.

Originally Posted by zzw26n
I've done Epoxy .... twice. No worky.
Going to try Race Deck next.
I moved into a Florida builder's model house and they had simply painted the epoxy on the garage floor. One drive in a summer rain storm and the wet, hot tires picked up the epoxy as the floor wasn't prepped correctly (see above).

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
I have Racedeck, in another post it was said it was buckling, but if it is installed properly it can expand & contract. The only issue I have with mine is with soft compound tires, I have Nitto invo's they leave marks on my floor, other than that I have no complaints, & if you damage a tile it can be removed & replaced.
I installed my Racedeck floor three years ago and I'm very happy with it. The key is to allow for expansion, however living in Florida, the weather is pretty consistent with no extremes. My garage faces south, so if I have the doors open, the sun does cause the edging near the garage door to wave up, but it flattens out as soon as I close the door and sun isn't heating them up. The regular tiles are fine.

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

I used this distributor to buy Racedeck tiles. Price is currently $2.44/sqft. This site doesn't mention the brand, but the tiles were drop shipped from a Racedeck warehouse and shipped in Racedeck boxes.

https://www.garageflooringinc.com/ti...loc-tiles.html

Last edited by Witmer; 02-21-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

When I purchased my Racedeck at a Goodguys show the cost was 25% discounted, free transition strips & free shipping. So I would see if they are at any of your local shows to see what the cost is if you are looking for Racedeck.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

That is a Kwik Lift. You just drive up and jack up the rear torque tube - great option for most work on a C5 if you don't have room for a hydraulic lift. Also has a sliding tray for jacking the car up once in the air to remove wheels. For me the big plus is I wanted something I could quickly tear down in about 10 minutes and stack somewhere so that I would not be tripping over and running into it when not in use since I only need to get the car up once or twice a year! Great product - Made in USA.

Thanks that lift looks like I could accomplish every thing I would want to do ,with out the hassle of having a large lift in garage, Thanks Dave
Old 02-21-2017, 05:15 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,667 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

AWESOME GARAGE Please adopt me!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Borntorun04
Thanks that lift looks like I could accomplish every thing I would want to do ,with out the hassle of having a large lift in garage, Thanks Dave
To bad you don't live in West Texas, I am considering selling mine. It is perfect for a C5, but what I did not take into consideration is the steep slope my driveway has leading up to the garage which makes it pretty scary to approach and hard to see.

Since it weighs about 600-lbs it is too heavy to ship and I did several modifications to mine like adding heavy duty casters so that I could roil it around easily by myself and had custom aluminum stands welded and powder coated to stack the unit when not in use.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:40 PM
USRobo
Pro

Any chance you still have the contact info email or phone number for the guy that sold those tiles to you? They are perfect!
If so you can PM me with the info.
Thanks,

Originally Posted by Keev1414
Mine is edge garage gear. Snap together with ez. Got lucky found a guy selling tiles on craigslist for a 1.00 a tile. Went with black, red ,gray and white. Hides any cracks in he floor. Did all myself. But a partner would be super helpful!!!

Old 03-02-2017, 04:09 AM
FutureOWNR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Sherwin Williams epoxy system. It took two boxes and cost about $150 when it was all said and done. There are much nicer epoxies out there, but I was on a tight budget and it worked for me. I have no complaints and would do it again. The only thing I wish I did was fill in the cracks so it looks like 1 pieces of concrete. It's been 3 years and nothing has peeled up, but some of it is discolored from automotive fluids from the work I have done on different cars.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureOWNR
I used Sherwin Williams epoxy system. It took two boxes and cost about $150 when it was all said and done. There are much nicer epoxies out there, but I was on a tight budget and it worked for me. I have no complaints and would do it again. The only thing I wish I did was fill in the cracks so it looks like 1 pieces of concrete. It's been 3 years and nothing has peeled up, but some of it is discolored from automotive fluids from the work I have done on different cars.

Looks nice. Great job on the budget.

As to the expansion joints... You need those. That is where the concrete is designed to break once your house settles... And it will settle. If you were to fill them, the cracking would still occur there, you would just be left with concrete chips coming out and no epoxy underneath...
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM
stingray76l82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Race track had it since 2008. Very durable.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I just ordered the Motofloor tiles from Costco, supposed to be very similar to Racedeck. Will see how they work out
Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Racedeck here. All the neighbours wives love it. Most of their husbands are not into cool cars or garages .. one of the neighbour wives husbands insisted that epoxy was WAYYYY better... their concrete slab cracked and now their flooring looks like ****. His wife always smiles and waves at me all wrong. I usually just wave back.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I used Pure Metallic Epoxy on my garage floor. 2+ years later (plenty of road salt too) and it still looks fantastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Garage Flooring