Sponsored by:

Earl Schieb, Macco Anyone, Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Hans D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony79dr@yahoo.com
Just wondering if anyone in here has gotten their car painted by the 2 national paint chains? Excuse my ignorance but if there no damage and we decide to keep our car the same color, shouldn't a paint job not cost an arm and a leg..

I noticed my 18 yr olds door handles are pretty beat up so and so are my rockers from the seat belt so I started walking around the car nd I wish I would have never done it.

I've recently had cars painted for my boss but the cars were classics down to bare metal and they were about 6K but I'm thinking I just want my black car repainted.

Come on guru's let me have it. Explain why a paint job can't be around 1K I don't need the moldings and everything removed.
My two cents....find a good body shop. Many used car dealers will take even low mileage trades to get them touched up, front bumpers and hoods sprayed to have them looking like new when they put them on the lot. I had a really nice Lexus that was in accident. I asked around and a few people recommended the same body shop. Went to talk to the owner and told him how fussy I was. He assured me I would be happy, and he was right. The end product looked better than before the crash. Not sure what it cost..insurance paid, but I agree with many about " you get what you pay for"!..Especially on a Corvette...don't go cheap or you will probably regret it!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
What do you do (or did if you retired) for a living? People are allowed to charge what their trade will bare. I'm in a trade and hear all the time that we charge too much!

There is a reason people can charge what they do. You get what you pay for!!! and reputable people warranty their work. The prices are always cheapest when someone is going out of business or will walk away from unhappy customers as they know another sucker will fall for the cheapest price and rip someone else off.

sorry I'm a little sensitive to this subject

I'm a civil servant. I understand body/paint shops charge what the market will bare, I just think they go a little overboard with their prices sometimes...I mean, $10K for a paint job, that's nuts!
Old 02-22-2017, 03:33 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

An average paint job at KINDIGIT DESIGNS is $20K. It really all depends on what you want.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:44 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Body work and paint work ?

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Just an FYI, the clear coat is found an every level of the paint job. the amount of color added to the clear is what gives the color. It's present in the tint coat, and also in the base coat. No one wants to do that because they perpetuate the myth that it cant be done. , prepping the clear is exactly what they do at a good shop to remove the orange peel between the final coats of paint. a paint job is like a histogram with peeks and valleys sanding the peaks to remove the valleys ( the valleys give the orange peel look. ) removing those peaks will leave several thousands of very flat paint ( no orange peel ). A show car finish is one where they sand each coat of paint to remove the peaks,, in order to build up the paint thickness..

I good paint shop will limit the amount of sanding between coats to match the factory orange peel. but to do a whole car and do it right and sand between coats is costly, but the results are very dramatic.

So the theory about sanding the clear and applying more clear is what they do anyway.. but they just want to sell a whole job.. that's why they say its impossible.. there is no delamination since each coat is emulsified into the previous layer.. the whole finish becomes one body.

If you have a fender refinished, they ruff up the existing fender, do the body work. seal and prime, all those steps, when they feather to surrounding panels, all they do is scuff up the clear coat and shoot it, no sealer no primer. They will blend the color coat to surrounding panels and clear.. there is no reason why they just cant ruff up an existing panel and shoot it with clear as if they were blending. They do it every day.
I'm surprised ET you didn't mention that Macco paint is enamel. The corvette and all cars painted after I guess 1990 are all water based and as my esteemed friend above has mentioned it is the best of painting and satisfying the EPA on a assembly scale. I just finished a frame off restoration of a 1988 K5 Blazer I found in West Texas. I have a good, good friend who owns a body shop, and it still cost $9K. It had 117 baseball size hail-ball hits so we got a new hood as it was faster to start fresh item. The once done, block sanded, it gets a coat of primer, it comes out and it wet sanded or any areas that was missed are worked out. back in for a final primer, then wet sanded and in for the first base coat, out again a wet sanding and back in for 2 more coats of base and out and wet sanded, a total exam stem to stern for color and consistency, if it is OK, it gets masked and back in for a 1st coat for the 2nd color, out and wet sanded, if OK in goes back in for 1st clear coat and wet sanded and the final good clear coat. This is how you do a near perfect paint job. and I had a pin striper come down and add the contrasting 1/8" pinstripe. Then it is buffed and worked so there is no patches or off color spots. Time: 3 -4 weeks. And 80% of this is the skill of the painter, it is a stand alone skill. My friends son John painted it, he's 26 and has been at this since he was 16. And once you paint it in enamel, you own it. It won't buff and it won't shine anywhere near the original paint. and there is only one way to remove the enamel.

But if you are going to own one of the absolute best engineered automobiles built today and $500 to $1000 bucks is a problem, leave it alone till you can give it what you can afford ( and shop around) but be fair with the body shop as to what your going to expect the final finish to both look like and last. It's a cut-throat business, but honesty will pay big dividends in both your wallet and your pride in what I consider the only reasonable best build sports car in America. But for what it's worth. . .

Last edited by killain; 06-13-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

*bear
Old 02-22-2017, 06:36 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Tony79dr@yahoo.com
Just wondering if anyone in here has gotten their car painted by the 2 national paint chains? Excuse my ignorance but if there no damage and we decide to keep our car the same color, shouldn't a paint job not cost an arm and a leg..

I noticed my 18 yr olds door handles are pretty beat up so and so are my rockers from the seat belt so I started walking around the car nd I wish I would have never done it.

I've recently had cars painted for my boss but the cars were classics down to bare metal and they were about 6K but I'm thinking I just want my black car repainted.

Come on guru's let me have it. Explain why a paint job can't be around 1K I don't need the moldings and everything removed.
Earl Scheib, are you kidding me?

Last edited by 449er; 02-22-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 449er
Earl Schieb, are you kidding me?

Earl Scheib was a company which specialized in repainting and collision repair of automobiles, with locations in 23 states in the US. It ceased operations nationwide on July 16, 2010. It was started in 1937 so it must have had a lot of satisfied customers to last that long.

Last edited by JR-01; 02-22-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

If I had a Chumpcar or street beater I wanted to paint cheaply I'd use a roller. There are dozens of YT videos on how to do it and the results aren't bad for an investment of $50.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JR-01

Earl Scheib was a company which specialized in repainting and collision repair of automobiles, with locations in 23 states in the US. It ceased operations nationwide on July 16, 2010. It was started in 1937 so it must have had a lot of satisfied customers to last that long.
JR, thanks for the history lesson, but I remember Earl Scheib's "diamond gloss" colors & quality very well, my sister had her 68 Mustang painted there, and the result was, well "you get what you pay for"
Old 02-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
*bear
I thought I spelled that wrong
Old 02-22-2017, 06:59 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 449er
JR, thanks for the history lesson, but I remember Earl Scheib's "diamond gloss" colors & quality very well, my sister had her 68 Mustang painted there, and the result was, well "you get what you pay for"
We didn't have them around here. Back in the 70s, me and my buddy did the body work and painted our cars and trucks. He was better at the painting. He could lay it on with absolutely no orange peel. Now it's all about paying others to do the work.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
^I blame the regulatory commissions.
Yeah, blaming regulatory requirements is certainly in vogue now, but no. Even if keeping toxic VOCs in check resulted in a $100K adder to the cost of a spray booth (just a guess), that cost get amortized over every car they paint. What does not get shared is the labor to prepare a car for painting. Skilled bodymen get paid well and proper prep work requires many hours of labor and that cost is all on that one vehicle. Considering that the cost of skilled labor is in a continual upward spiral, it is no surprise to see premium paint work costing many thousands of dollars.

Earl Schibe or Macco? No way, not on anything that runs.

Last edited by golden2husky; 02-22-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

My issue isn't with the skill and labor cost. It is the overhead.

Paint booth regulations are overwhelmingly expensive these days. Along with insurance and safety concerns. Any business that sprays chemicals into the air has to deal with regulatory issues. The cost is also reflect in the production of the materials used as the chemical companies are regulated as well.

There should be some regulation but I think it is way overdone, to the point that it has damaged the industry.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

My issue isn't with the skill and labor cost. It is the overhead.

Paint booth regulations are overwhelmingly expensive these days. Along with insurance and safety concerns. Any business that sprays chemicals into the air has to deal with regulatory issues. The cost is also reflect in the production of the materials used as the chemical companies are regulated as well.

There should be some regulation but I think it is way overdone, to the point that it has damaged the industry.
The industry is doing great. Reducing chemicals that cause cancer and other diseases is a good thing.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The industry is doing great. Reducing chemicals that cause cancer and other diseases is a good thing.
I agree with safety. I disagree with the present way it is managed, as a governmental revenue stream pushing industry out of the market place.

Last edited by Rob 02; 02-22-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:54 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

I agree with safety. I disagree with the present way it is managed, as a governmental revenue stream pushing industry out of the market place.
Like I said, the industry is doing just fine and pollution has been reduced. It really is a good thing. The industry can not police itself.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Like I said, the industry is doing just fine and pollution has been reduced. It really is a good thing. The industry can not police itself.
Government cant police itself either.

Get notified of new replies

To Earl Schieb, Macco Anyone, Anyone??

Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Government cant police itself either.
Whats your solution? Let everyone do what they want, no matter the consequences?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Whats your solution? Let everyone do what they want, no matter the consequences?
Did I say that? No!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Did I say that? No!
It sounded like you don't want government regulating business, so who should?

Quick Reply: Earl Schieb, Macco Anyone, Anyone??