Sponsored by:

That nasty old slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default That nasty old slave cylinder

Well, I replaced the Master cylinder and it helped a little, but looks like it's time for a slave cylinder. Going to go ahead and have a Valero clutch kit, slave, and rear engine seal installed while I am having it done. Nice little shop here at home that has a good reputation who is doing everything for $1200. I thought that was fair and I just don't have the time to do it.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:46 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

$1200 is a fair price. About half way through pulling mine apart I would gladly have paid someone $1200 to finish it.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Default Amen

It's not that I can't do it and would probably enjoy it. I had to do the same thing on a 944 Porsche which are basically the same setup. I just don't have the time and they said they would have it in and out in about a day and a half. I even had a Tick's remote bleeder shipped to their shop. They are some younger guys that do a lot of custom work and do a lot with 4x4's. That's one reason they recommended a Valero clutch kit because they have a good product and warranty. They run a nice clean shop and will keep the car inside until I pick it up. I'm sure I won't regret having someone else do it. Their labor is about $700 which sounds about right
Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

Remind them there are very specific balancing requirements to this operation. The engine is externally balanced and the flywheel/clutch is part of that balancing. They need to look it up and follow the procedure or you'll be vibrating like a bed in a cheap motel.

Basically it's something like marking and removing the flywheel that only mounts one way. Moving any weights (dowels in drilled holes) on the old flywheel to the same location on the new flywheel and mounting it on the crankshaft in the same orientation.

Also since they are not using a orig equipment clutch they need to verify the slave/throw out bearing clearance or the bearing may bind or not release correctly.

Good luck with it!
The following users liked this post:
JohnnyB (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:20 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Default thanks

I mentioned the flywheel balance issue and he did say the new flywheel came zero balanced. They do a lot of driveline work but not on many vettes, but several people I know recommended them. I know they operate a spotless shop which always impresses me. I requested OE specs on replacement parts. They were putting in a Luk clutch kit which they say they have very few issues and have a pretty good warranty. They said the slave and tob were toast and the clutch showing some wear so should be like new.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Default clutch replaced

Well, they got things back together and shifts great but there is a small vibration between 1500-3000 the most noticeable. I ask him if they followed GM's procedure swapping out flywheels and he said they did. So either they didn't do it right or the PP is out of balance. At least he agrees with me and notices it also. So I guess they will be tearing it down again
Old 03-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
$1200 is a fair price. About half way through pulling mine apart I would gladly have paid someone $1200 to finish it.
I love a brutally honest answer. I think at one time or another we've all been there.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:23 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Default Balance

Am I correct in assuming you have to transfer any balance pins over to the new flywheel? They did tell me the original flywheel was in pretty good condition. Can you resurface and reuse it or just transfer weights? The new FW came at zero balance. I'm thinking they did the install assuming it was like a Camero which I don't think their flywheel was fine balanced. Maybe Vettea are different because the have a torque tube and any vibration will be noticeable? It's not awful but certainly wasn't there before
Old 03-27-2017, 06:40 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd bet your repair shop would gladly pay some else $1200 to redo it. I'll also wager that was their first C5. Not that they'd admit it. Good luck getting it right.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 PM
steig
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 197 Posts

Hopefully, you get it all worked out correctly.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 PM
tcstaples
Instructor

Well, good news! They checked everything out and found the exhaust needed some adjustment which was causing a small vibration. I did look at the original flywheel and evidently I have a pretty balanced engine as there are no signs of balancing done to the flywheel and whatever they adjusted took care of everything and it's running smooth as silk now. I guess it doesn't take much to cause a vibration on these cars. I did talk to the mechanic and he did some extensive research on the flywheel balancing and knew that if there were any pin weights they would need to be transferred. So he did do his homework. They do a lot of custom driveline work but most of it is on 4x4's but even then you can get into a lot of complicated work. I would say having a clutch kit, slave cylinder, remote bleeder and rear engine seal all installed for a total of 1300.00 with tax was a pretty fair price. Shifts smoother than it ever has. Thanks everyone for all the tips and tricks!

Get notified of new replies

To That nasty old slave cylinder

Quick Reply: That nasty old slave cylinder