Sponsored by:

Who makes the best coilovers now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 06:21 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
looking at those ridetech's the lower you go the more shock travel you lose, that is not something you want if you intend to lower the car substantially... my lg gt2's and I'm sure many other brands you can adjust ride height independently of shock travel by lengthening or shortening the shock body
As posted they are designed to be 1.5" lower than stock, which for most street cars should be plenty, not sure how much adjustment is available from that to still be in the 40-60% range as they state.

My car as pictured currently is 1.5" lower than stock in front with a 26" tire & that is all I can go to be streetable & practical, I may have to get taller springs since I have drop spindles.

Name:  DSC06309.JPG
Views: 7075
Size:  2.10 MB

Name:  DSC06310.JPG
Views: 6145
Size:  1.86 MB

END OF MY DRIVEWAY

Name:  DSC06305 (2).jpg
Views: 6332
Size:  2.71 MB
Old 03-26-2017, 06:32 PM
marolf101x
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few reasons we don't have an adjustable lower mount, and that we only suggest lowering 1.5".

Primarily, if you lower the car more than 1.2" the geometry goes completely to crap. So any lower than that is futile. . .you purchased a Vette for handling. . .why lower it to the point that it no longer handles?
The following users liked this post:
6speedsteve (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by marolf101x
There are a few reasons we don't have an adjustable lower mount, and that we only suggest lowering 1.5".

Primarily, if you lower the car more than 1.2" the geometry goes completely to crap. So any lower than that is futile. . .you purchased a Vette for handling. . .why lower it to the point that it no longer handles?
And that geometry is one of the reasons I am using drop spindles to keep it as close to it's design as possible.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:17 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if they are designed with a 1.5" drop in mind then that certainly helps but does this mean that you will automatically get a 1.5" drop just by installing them at the perches highest point?... just curious because not everyone wants to lower their car much if any at all... also curious about the 1.5" drop design and saying anything over 1.2" and the suspension geometry is crap, granted it may not be optimal in a racing application but I wouldn't say it is crap... it just depends what each person wants I suppose, personally I wanted my car to feel better running around on the streets and I don't track it on a road course either (which many of us don't do) so max handling is not a huge concern to me since it will never see those limits anyway
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Originally Posted by neutron82
if they are designed with a 1.5" drop in mind then that certainly helps but does this mean that you will automatically get a 1.5" drop just by installing them at the perches highest point?... just curious because not everyone wants to lower their car much if any at all... also curious about the 1.5" drop design and saying anything over 1.2" and the suspension geometry is crap, granted it may not be optimal in a racing application but I wouldn't say it is crap... it just depends what each person wants I suppose, personally I wanted my car to feel better running around on the streets and I don't track it on a road course either (which many of us don't do) so max handling is not a huge concern to me since it will never see those limits anyway
I would guess that the drop is at the mean/middle of the settings that are designed for C5 so you have some room to raise or lower if desired.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best coilovers now?