Isn't It Ironic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Always_a_rhythm
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Isn't It Ironic?

Talk about strange timing.

I was working on my vette yesterday. 2001 Vert.
Changed my gas struts, etc. There is a write-up thread I posted last night.

After I installed the struts, I was about to preemptively install the LMC5 module from compliance systems. I had it in my hand and thought about it. Supposed to take 30mins to an hour.
But the sun was out and it was a rare warm day in PA after a few weeks of snow.

I thought to myself, my car has only 30k miles, and it's been a garage queen. I don't need to install this now. I'll do it later.

I took the car for long hard drive in the sun instead. Big smiles with the top down. It was a really nice day to drive.

Wouldn't you know it? On the way to work today - the next day - the very next day...I get the "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" message on my DIC as I'm driving.

It's parked outside my work. Hope I can get it home to put in the LMC5 mod tonight!

Looking at the compliance parts website I think I can still unlock it with the LMC5 assuming the wheel's not locked when I start her up at 5pm.
Ironic timing.

Wish me luck.

Cheers,
AAR
Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 AM
doublenut9
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 92 Posts

Karma, never put off what you can do today!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM
caddman11
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Compliance Parts can give you instructions to how to unlock it if you know basic wiring, I had to do it. They are great folks and always there.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good Luck, Richard is great to work with should you encounter any issues!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck getting the car home and the part installed. You never know when that pesky column lock issue will rear its ugly head.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Always_a_rhythm
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update

Update:
I was able to driver her home.
The "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" was on the DIC the whole drive home, but I was able to drive at normal speeds and obviously the wheel was not locked, fully able to turn the car.

Parked it in my driveway and got to work.

I'm now an expert at putting in the LMC5 module. Because I've done it 2x! There's a very critical step in the instructions about pulling a 10amp fuse - fuse #23 - and it has to be done before disconnecting the battery (step 1) of the installation procedure. It's also not mentioned in the compliance parts installation YouTube video. They gloss right over this critical step.

Troubleshooting:
It took me a full install - a check to find out I had actually fully set the wheel in the locked position. Dash had no mention of "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" but the wheel wouldn't turn in key-off or key-on positions.
Then a full uninstall - so I got it back to where it was - and would unlock when turning the key.
Then a full reinstall - this time pulling the fuse at the right time.
Took me 2 hours and quite a few cuss words but I got it. She works and now the column lock is fixed in the unlock position whether the car is off or on; key in or out.

My advice:
All I can say is read the instructions front to back 2 or 3 times before you actually install the part. The instructions are super detailed and have color pictures. Actually they're great But they gloss over this critical, critical point. No pictures for this point and it's not even a numbered step. This part is before the numbered installation steps in the "Before You Start" section of the instructions.

If you start with step 1 you will have missed this and have to do what I did. Read the instructions from the first page to the last page before doing anything.

Thank you:
Anyway - now that that's out of my system...
Thank you Compliance Parts, I was able to do the install, uninstall and reinstall because the installation method doesn't require splicing. It all is done without permanent changes to the vehicle. At the end of the day - after I got everything to work - in the dark - I took the car out for a blast down the boulevard.

No more column lock. No more DIC warnings. Going 70 down the empty road with the top down; it put a smile back on my face.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:14 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Always_a_rhythm
Update:

My advice:
All I can say is read the instructions front to back 2 or 3 times before you actually install the part.
We've all been there. Glad you got it done and are now an expert.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

That sucks, good luck, hope it doesn't take too long...

Get notified of new replies

To Isn't It Ironic?

Quick Reply: Isn't It Ironic?