Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

How to tell if your clutch is dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:19 AM
RomanNYC
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How to tell if your clutch is dead?

started the car up this morning and feel the clutch is dead.... there is pressure when i push down on the clutch but feels very weird.

i can also shift into any gear without pushing down on the clutch not sure what is going on (when car is off)

when i push down the clutch as the car is on and i try to move the stick into first the car starts rolling forward

Last edited by RomanNYC; 03-31-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:13 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Your clutch is not disengaging. It's a hydraulic problem, either MC or slave. This' not to say your clutch if fine, just probably not the problem. Have you ever flushed the clutch fluid? If not, first try the "Ranger" method.

Last edited by zeevette; 03-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:43 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by zeevette
Your clutch is not disengaging. It's a hydraulic problem, either MC or slave. This' not to say your clutch if fine, just probably not the problem. Have you ever flushed the clutch fluid? If not, first try the "Ranger" method.
i just had all my fluids changed about 2 weeks ago. also have a tick performance slave cylinder that was installed 2 years ago when i purchased the car. has 18k miles as of right now

how can i further diagnose this?

Last edited by RomanNYC; 04-03-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:29 PM
zeevette
Race Director

I also have a Tick, but it's the MC, not the slave. Far as I know, Tick only makes the master. That would leave your slave, and since you're in there, you might as well do a clutch.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:58 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Isn't the Tick adjustable?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM
RomanNYC
Racer

oooouch. just installed headers , cai, Tune and than bam just my luck
Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you checked to see if your clutch fluid is low? Could be a leak at the master. As a rule of thumb, if your car was working well before a mod and is no longer working correctly after the mod, you need to reinspect the work done for the mod.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by danh52
Isn't the Tick adjustable?
Yes. If you have a Tick MC, it is adjustable. Depending on where your engagement point is, you may have enough adjustment room to free up your PP. Do you still have the factory or factory replacement clutch? Is your motor modified?

Last edited by zeevette; 03-28-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Have you checked to see if your clutch fluid is low? Could be a leak at the master. As a rule of thumb, if your car was working well before a mod and is no longer working correctly after the mod, you need to reinspect the work done for the mod.
i had work done on the car by ECS im not sure any of the things below can somehow affect the master clutch.

following work:

-All fluids change (i didnt check the brake fluid i will check tonight)
- valve springs
- Cold air intake
- Headers
- Tune

Originally Posted by zeevette
Yes. If you have a Tick MC, it is adjustable. Depending on where your engagement point is, you may have enough adjustment room to free up your PP. Do you still have the factory or factory replacement clutch? Is your motor modified?
factory replacement clutch? i have the original clutch on the car never changed it. motor is stock besides bolt on's

one thing that i do remember is the day before this happened my clutch felt like it was shorter, changing gears would be easier as in that i didn't have to let the clutch out as much

Last edited by RomanNYC; 03-31-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

If you had the clutch fluid flushed, maybe there is air in the system. Since you master cylinder is adjustable, is it in the same place it was prior to the work? Maybe they loosened the jamb nuts and your turnbuckle is rotating. It doesn't sound like you're experiencing a clutch issue. Slave or master cylinder are suspects.

As far as your original question, you can verify your clutch by getting the car up to 30MPH or so, place the tranny in 5th gear and floor the gas pedal. If the engine bogs and RPM and speed gradually increase, you're in good shape. If your RPMs are erratic or engine revs high and speed doesn't follow, you need a clutch.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:30 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
If you had the clutch fluid flushed, maybe there is air in the system. Since you master cylinder is adjustable, is it in the same place it was prior to the work? Maybe they loosened the jamb nuts and your turnbuckle is rotating. It doesn't sound like you're experiencing a clutch issue. Slave or master cylinder are suspects.

As far as your original question, you can verify your clutch by getting the car up to 30MPH or so, place the tranny in 5th gear and floor the gas pedal. If the engine bogs and RPM and speed gradually increase, you're in good shape. If your RPMs are erratic or engine revs high and speed doesn't follow, you need a clutch.
i didn't personally install the tick performance, had a shop do it so im not familiar with it at all.... i will check the jamb nuts and turnbuckle.

also checked the fluids last night and they are fine.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:59 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

You are welcome to have us take a look at it if it is driveable. Just let us know when you're coming.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:21 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanNYC
started the car up this morning and feel the clutch is dead.... there is pressure when i push down on the clutch but feels very weird.

i can also shift into any gear without pushing down on the clutch not sure what is going on (when car is off)

when i push down the clutch as the car is on and i try to move the stick into first the car starts rolling forward
Have you considered the new headers either coming into contact with the clutch line or heating the fluid in the line? I'd check those lines just to be sure.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:37 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

being able to put the shifter in any gear without pressing the clutch is normal when the car is off...

Last edited by chassed; 03-31-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:43 PM
RomanNYC
Racer

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
Have you considered the new headers either coming into contact with the clutch line or heating the fluid in the line? I'd check those lines just to be sure.
i dont have a lift
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Take the bickering back and forth off the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To How to tell if your clutch is dead?

Quick Reply: How to tell if your clutch is dead?