Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Sparco Steering Wheel Guys Step in!

Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HELP: Sparco Steering Wheel Guys Step in!

The big question I need answered is, are there two different sized hubs to use with these wheels? Like a short and longer version?

The hub I purchased is the Sparco 01502099. I also purchased an NRG 2.5 Quick Release and with both installed, the wheel is way too far away from the turn signal stalk.

Here's the hub:

Hub and Quick Release installed:

Without the Quick Release, the wheel is just a bit too close to the stalks.

I've seen a few people run Sparco spacers, which look to be 2" long compared to my quick release, which is 5" long. Seems like that's the big difference. I'd rather keep the quick release if I can order a shorter hub, but if that's not an option than I'll install a spacer and remove the quick release.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:07 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

I used the same Sparco adapter you did, (same part number although it looks different), but the NRG slim quick release. I believe it's only around an inch thick.

The wheel is still farther away from the turn signal stalk but it's manageable. Just have to get used to it.

Last edited by doublec4; 03-16-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Sparco has changed the design of the hub at least once over time. Mine looks like the one in the OP but I got that part number from another poster and his looks completely different despite being the same part number.

There are other hubs available plus you can get spacers in basically any size. I knew that I didn't want a quick release and did want the wheel a little further from the stalks (to avoid hitting them during autox/track), so I added the Sparco spacer which IIRC is 50mm. I have a thread with the exact parts I used on here somewhere.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:23 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doublec4
I used the same Sparco adapter you did, (same part number although it looks different), but the NRG slim quick release. I believe it's only around an inch thick.

The wheel is still farther away from the turn signal stalk but it's manageable. Just have to get used to it.
By different, do you mean your hub is longer than mine? I only ask because an inch wouldn't put my wheel further from the stalks than the OEM set-up. I really prefer the OEM distance and would like to get close to that.

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I think Sparco has changed the design of the hub at least once over time. Mine looks like the one in the OP but I got that part number from another poster and his looks completely different despite being the same part number.

There are other hubs available plus you can get spacers in basically any size. I knew that I didn't want a quick release and did want the wheel a little further from the stalks (to avoid hitting them during autox/track), so I added the Sparco spacer which IIRC is 50mm. I have a thread with the exact parts I used on here somewhere.
This is very helpful - thanks! I used your thread as a good reference point during my install.

At this point, I could care less about the quick release. I just want to get the set-up done and completed. I'd rather not purchase a new hub, but I do want to get close to the OEM distance to the stalks. Would you mind measuring your current set-up from stalk to wheel for me?

I had to take my hand off the wheel to flip the turn signals with the quick release on. That's obviously not going to fly. The quick release is off now - but the wheel is just a bit too close to the dash for me.

Did you figure out the wiring for the horn too?

Appreciate the help guys - just looking forward to wrapping this project up.

Last edited by JohnnyT; 03-17-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:21 PM
doublec4
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 24 Posts

This is the thin version:

https://getnrg.com/products/quick-re...n-version/feed

The sparco adapter I used looks like this:

https://www.discoveryparts.com/2551-...-01502099-.jpg

If you don`t care about the quick release, can`t you just mount right to the sparco adapter and you`d probably be around stock distance?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doublec4
This is the thin version:

https://getnrg.com/products/quick-re...n-version/feed

The sparco adapter I used looks like this:

https://www.discoveryparts.com/2551-...-01502099-.jpg

If you don`t care about the quick release, can`t you just mount right to the sparco adapter and you`d probably be around stock distance?
Interesting. Your adapter is definitely different than mine, I'm just not sure about the length difference between the two.

I did end up removing the quick release for now. The wheel is bolted directly to the hub, but now it's very close to the stalks. Too close for my tastes.

My plan of attack is to get this right in one shot so I'm not buying and returning more parts. I'll measure the height of the OEM wheel / hub assembly, then figure out what size spacer or quick release I need to achieve that same height. Sucks that I have to return or sell parts, but that's life
Old 05-12-2015, 12:14 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I put the stock wheel back on (not all the way.... not going to remove that bitch again). I measured 2.25" between the wheel and the stalks. I eyeballed about .2" more that I could have pressed the wheel on, but didn't. SO 2" from wheel to stalks should be pretty close and a good starting point.

Do you have any length measurements for the setups you tried and/or the individual components?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:40 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

I stole a few pics from troy's wheel how to.... here is a same angle comparison stock vs his setup (sparco adapter + 2" spacer). Looks pretty close, maybe 1" spacer or so would get it in stock position?

Old 05-12-2015, 01:11 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just looking at some of this for a friend last week. The total height of my hub+spacer is just over 4 inches. To achieve a more stock-like wheel position you'd want to be around 3 inches total instead, so you're looking for a spacer or quick-release of roughly 1" in thickness. I think the 1.25" NRG quick-release would get you pretty close but still a little further from the stalks than stock, a 25mm or 1" spacer would probably be closest. Unfortunately I didn't really measure the stock stuff to be able to tell you for sure.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:11 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aaronc7
I put the stock wheel back on (not all the way.... not going to remove that bitch again). I measured 2.25" between the wheel and the stalks. I eyeballed about .2" more that I could have pressed the wheel on, but didn't. SO 2" from wheel to stalks should be pretty close and a good starting point.

Do you have any length measurements for the setups you tried and/or the individual components?
I'll measure my current wheel to stalk length tonight. As of now, I just have the wheel bolted to the hub. I've gotten used to it now and am not bothered by it. No spacer, no quick release.

If I recall, the quick release is 2.25" in length. The Sparco hub I received is 3". So, as you can see, getting a 2" spacer instead of the quick release would be pretty pointless. I even bought a 1" spacer and returned it because the wheel to stalk gap was still too big for me.

I really have no need for a quick release so I'm totally happy with my set-up as-is. If you desperately want a QR, then get one with the NRG short hub. Sparco changing the design and length of their hubs really screwed me up.

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I was just looking at some of this for a friend last week. The total height of my hub+spacer is just over 4 inches. To achieve a more stock-like wheel position you'd want to be around 3 inches total instead, so you're looking for a spacer or quick-release of roughly 1" in thickness. I think the 1.25" NRG quick-release would get you pretty close but still a little further from the stalks than stock, a 25mm or 1" spacer would probably be closest. Unfortunately I didn't really measure the stock stuff to be able to tell you for sure.
There's the answer. Your hub + spacer is 4". Mine would be 5" with the same 2" spacer.

With the wheel bolted directly to the hub, it's at about 3" length, but to get it close to stock I think you want to be around 3.5". NRG has a 1/2" spacer on eBay for $20.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:33 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

V2 of wheel install is complete. NRG short hub and Sparco 2" spacer. As for the numbers.... the "new" Sparco hub is ~2.2" thick, the NRG short hub is ~1.6" thick. My complete setup with NRG and spacer is 3.6" total length... from the edge of the plastic surround with it installed to the wheel is ~3.3". Happy with this setup overall. Not too far, but not too close to the turn signals, etc. NRG hub has a ground wire vs using one of those rings. Also is smaller diameter than the sparco hub...required only a tiny bit of sanding (primarily at the 3 and 9 o clock positions) on the surround to avoid rubbing.

Last edited by aaronc7; 05-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Very nice, on my upgrades list...
Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

How are you guys removing this black plastic ring and airbag wiring to run aftermarket steering wheels? I have a momo wheel and hub but got this far and ended up putting stock back on for now.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chetly

How are you guys removing this black plastic ring and airbag wiring to run aftermarket steering wheels? I have a momo wheel and hub but got this far and ended up putting stock back on for now.
You need to remove the copper snap ring holding the clock spring on. Get some snap ring pliers and after removing that you'll be set for the new wheel!
Old 05-18-2015, 02:25 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Awesome, Thanks!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 10:38 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Any error codes thrown when removing the airbag?
Old 05-18-2015, 11:04 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Yes, you will need to wire up a couple resistors. IIRC, anywhere from 1-6 ohms and the system will be happy. I wired 2 x 1 ohm resistors in series. Taped it all up in electrical tape, reconnected it back into the car and tucked it away.

Go down to step 11 in troy's thread for an example. The resistors are those big goofy white rectangular things... I bought a pack of 2 at radio shack for a couple bucks. My end result more or less was like that (didnt take any pics of it).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...stall-diy.html

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Sparco Steering Wheel Guys Step in!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP: Sparco Steering Wheel Guys Step in!