Sponsored by:

Seat foam.. where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:10 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Seat foam.. where to buy?

Bought some new awesome covers at Carlisle, but wanted to firm up the old foam in the cushions.

Any recommendations for new C5 Sport Seat foam?

I did a search, Corvette America sells it in 3 pieces, but not sure how dense it is. Al Knoch interiors & Mid America, do not sell it just yet.

Anyone know about the foam from Corvette America, or have another recommendation before I order?
Thanks,
Ellis
Old 08-29-2004, 08:14 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Yo EL, here ya go.
http://www.corvetteamerica.com/main....2&subcategory=

Ken King has it also
Old 08-29-2004, 08:20 AM
TexCorvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

If you have base seats, can you get sport foam, and then get sport seat covers to convert it?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:35 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Yes, that is where I was going to order it from...
Anyone know how dense it is? Is it comparable to stock or an upgrade?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:43 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

http://www.vetteessentials.com/inter.../interior.html

In addition to the foam, Ken also includes the plastic retainers needed to fasten the new covers to the frame and some custom felt booties to help prevent the sharp edges of the seat frame from wearing through the foam. I converted my base seats to Sport Seats on my 99 this past spring and VE's package for $270 shipped is everything you need for a professional and long lasting job. While I was in there I got a tip from an upholstery shop and installed some cheap (free) door edge protector edging to the bolster area's. This is just more cheap insurance. Take a look at my project. I used OEM seat covers for this project. My total cost was just at $900 and took 5 hours. The hardest part was determining where to cut the three holes in the bottom seat cover for the power seat adjuster trim bezel. The new covers don't have the holes pre-cut. That took us about an hour of fooling around. We finally just placed the trim bezel up against the seat and used a felt tip marker to mark the three spots we needed to cut hole's. Since the trim bezel is rather large we figuered there was room for error. Turned out ok, but as I said it added an hour to a job that should have taken 4.

Door edge material (had some laying around)

VE FELT BOOTIES

Trial fit of some of the parts

Finished project

Another angle

I also discovered why my seat rocked even after having it repaired (replaced entire seat track assembly under warranty) Seems a nut came loose. A little LockTite and my drivers seat was good as it could be

You'll also need a Hog Ring pliers since there are 6 hog rings on the lower seat assembly. I also bought a box of new hog rings. Both items found at a local auto parts store cost me less than $15 but made the job so much easier.

I'm thinking of redoing the seats in my 03 Z to TR Sport Seats now that I know how easy it is to do.

Good luck

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 08-29-2004 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:59 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Is the foam from Ken very dense?
Old 08-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Is the foam from Ken very dense?
It's just OEM seat foam.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
You'll also need a Hog Ring pliers since there are 6 hog rings on the lower seat assembly. I also bought a box of new hog rings. Both items found at a local auto parts store cost me less than $15 but made the job so much easier.

I'm thinking of redoing the seats in my 03 Z to TR Sport Seats now that I know how easy it is to do.
When I converted my Z06 seats to sport seats, the hog rings went in the trash and were replaced with zip ties. Zip ties make the job soooooo much easier.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:42 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
http://www.vetteessentials.com/inter.../interior.html

In addition to the foam, Ken also includes the plastic retainers needed to fasten the new covers to the frame and some custom felt booties to help prevent the sharp edges of the seat frame from wearing through the foam. I converted my base seats to Sport Seats on my 99 this past spring and VE's package for $270 shipped is everything you need for a professional and long lasting job. While I was in there I got a tip from an upholstery shop and installed some cheap (free) door edge protector edging to the bolster area's. This is just more cheap insurance. Take a look at my project. I used OEM seat covers for this project. My total cost was just at $900 and took 5 hours. The hardest part was determining where to cut the three holes in the bottom seat cover for the power seat adjuster trim bezel. The new covers don't have the holes pre-cut. That took us about an hour of fooling around. We finally just placed the trim bezel up against the seat and used a felt tip marker to mark the three spots we needed to cut hole's. Since the trim bezel is rather large we figuered there was room for error. Turned out ok, but as I said it added an hour to a job that should have taken 4.

Door edge material (had some laying around)

VE FELT BOOTIES

Trial fit of some of the parts

Finished project

Another angle

I also discovered why my seat rocked even after having it repaired (replaced entire seat track assembly under warranty) Seems a nut came loose. A little LockTite and my drivers seat was good as it could be

Good luck

Tom

Thats a super job Tom!!! I wish I had that kind of skill. I would love to do a conversion! I particularly like these Black Sport seats with the Red Corvete Letters and the RED outer trim on the seats. I wonder if Ken would do the conversion for me if I sent him the seat backs?

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 08-29-2004 at 09:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat foam.. where to buy?

Quick Reply: Seat foam.. where to buy?