Sponsored by:

Jacking a C5 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Dolen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking a C5 Vert

Gentlemen, one more time for Dolen. I just installed a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports AS non runflats. I have put together my emergency tire changing kit including a hydralic jack and homemade jacking pucks. Question again, can I safely jack a C5 convertible on the road at one jacking point? I'm talking about tweaking the fiberglass. Jacking at the crossmembers is a chore as you really have to get well under there and usually the car is not sitting evenly. I have jacked at one point as a test but stopped before the wheel came off the pavement.

Your input is appreciated. By the way, I'll nver go back to runflats. The difference is unbelievable.

Dolen
Old 09-08-2004, 01:52 AM
1KLRTOY
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the tie down points on each side look for a slot and a round pad just inside the body panels behind each front wheel and in front of the rears, use a hockey puck so the jack clears the body, and you will need a low profile jack!
Old 09-10-2004, 02:48 PM
78shark
Intermediate

Default Jacking points

I have a question too, will it tweak the fiberglass if You jack at one point versus jacking at the cross member? thanks Mark
Old 09-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've jacked mine from every point you can imagine.
Damn, that doesn't sound right.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Dolen
Advanced

Default Jacking points

ya, doesn't sound right but nobody seems to know the answer. I'v gotten numerous opionions from members of a vette club, I would be happy if it would indicate something in the owners manual. It just looks stressful when jacking. Jacking on the cross member on the road is just to risky and dangerous. Dolen
Old 09-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Why not get AAA and a cell phone? Flat bed that puppy home where you can work on it safely and properly.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:09 PM
sharpvet03
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Why not get AAA and a cell phone? Flat bed that puppy home where you can work on it safely and properly.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Armadillo
Racer

Hope you've also got an inflator. You can jack one wheel with no problem, but I've never seen a bottle jack that would fit under the car (with a flat and jacking puck especially). There is a thread, I believe it may be in C5 Tech, about a little lift from Germany that a forum member there will ship to you for $50 that is very light and compact and works great. I ordered one, but haven't received it yet.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:21 PM
highpressuremax
Racer

Originally Posted by Dale Manor
Hope you've also got an inflator. You can jack one wheel with no problem, but I've never seen a bottle jack that would fit under the car (with a flat and jacking puck especially). There is a thread, I believe it may be in C5 Tech, about a little lift from Germany that a forum member there will ship to you for $50 that is very light and compact and works great. I ordered one, but haven't received it yet.

I just ordered the little jack also, I thought the C5 frames were super strong, and you can lift one wheel at the jacking point with no problem

Last edited by highpressuremax; 09-10-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Dolen
Advanced

Default Jacking points

Dolen here again, I have a hydralic scissors jack with wheels that clears the frame with ease with the puck on. It's weight is about 18 lbs comes in a plastic case thats about 20 in. long, 6 in. high, depth about 7 in. It fits neatly and secure behind the baggage netting. Under the main storage compartment next to the cd changer I have stored my 4 way lug wrench covered with a two inch thickrubber foam cushion to protect the changer. I got the jack from auto zone for about 35 bucks. I'v lifted my previous C5 with this jack at the rear cross member with a doubled up polymor breadboard screwed together to protect the frame. The front two wheels go up a 2x8 made ramp. This works great when changing oil, its fast and the front is secure on the ramps which raises the car about 10 inches. I still need to buy a plug kit but reading some of our threads it sounds like they deteriate after a certain amount of time. Any input on this?

Dolen
Old 09-11-2004, 12:05 AM
gillettij
Pro

Hey Dolen,
sorry that I haven't jacked minee up yet, but the jacking points are for just that. Furthermore, you can go to www.97vette.com for all your instructions. If you look aroun there are others that explain also. Peace.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:28 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

You can jack your car up at one of the tie-down points without any problems. I've had to do that a couple of times, but generally I jack the car up from the cross members.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:37 AM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Yup, small jack at the tie-down points works fine!

Old 09-11-2004, 08:46 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Dolen
Dolen here again, I have a hydralic scissors jack with wheels that clears the frame with ease with the puck on.
Just curious, if you deflate a tire does that jack still fit under the car
Old 09-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Dolen
Advanced

Default Jacking a C5 vert

Good point. I believe with the jack I have with a flat it should fit under the rail. the jack is about 31/2 inches high. With the puck I don't know, I guess I better find out. Thanks, Dolen

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking a C5 Vert

Quick Reply: Jacking a C5 Vert