Sponsored by:

She starts...she dies....she starts...HUD goes Haywire

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 AM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default She starts...she dies....she starts...HUD goes Haywire

My wife took her '04 (Auto transmission) out today (we've had it for 3 weeks). Several times today she would start the car....it would start and then immediately die on her. This happened 1 out of every 3 times. Finally the car would remain started and seemed to operate fine until she shut it down. Then she'd go through a repeat performance the next time she tried to start it.

On one occasion after she finally got it to remain started she was driving and said the HUD started going haywire... Said the HUD looked like a double-exposure photograph. Different numbers all over the HUD, different colors, green, blue, purple, etc. It wasn't the glare of the sun like it will sometimes do... She said the HUD remained this way for several minutes...regardless of her direction to the sun.

Any idea what this could be? Is the starting problem and the HUD connected?? Would the computer show any codes as to what happened? If so, how do I get the codes and download them??

Bought her from Monica (Maxie Price)....3+ hr drive from here. I will take her in to the dealer here...but would like to have an idea of what's wrong....anyone have an idea?

We're getting ready to take a road trip and right now I don't want her driving it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 09-11-2004, 02:53 AM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

My first guess would be a battery, but with an "04 that seems unlikely. If you can pull the codes, check here:
http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 09-11-2004, 03:07 AM
REO3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BlackMagic
My first guess would be a battery...

I had a similar problem once with my 3000GT. It started OK, but when I started moving the ABS test started and put a load on the battery which killed the engine computer. Then the ABS test quit, the engine computer came alive so the engine started to fire, and then the system detected wheel movement so the ABS test started, the engine died, etc.

A new battery solved the problem and it never happened again.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:01 AM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98BlackMagic
My first guess would be a battery, but with an "04 that seems unlikely. If you can pull the codes, check here:
http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Actually depending how long your car sat before being sold, the battery could have gone bad.

Get notified of new replies

To She starts...she dies....she starts...HUD goes Haywire

Quick Reply: She starts...she dies....she starts...HUD goes Haywire