Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:53 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Update on replacing antenna mast...

I had posted on here a week or so ago that I tried to replace the antenna mast. I ordered a replacement mast for Mid America even though GM told me that there is no mast available and the entire assy must be replaced.

A few members commented and one even had simply pulled on the antenna mast pretty hard and it came out. I tried that and short of tearing the whole assy to crap, there was no way it was (at least, mine) was going to come out simply by pulling it.

I found a fix though.

Pull the far right taillamp you can access the antenna assy through that hole.
Remove two 10mm nuts to drop the assy.
Remove the 3 ground straps attached to the assy by (2) different phillip screws.
Remove (2) 10mm bolts from the bottom of the antenna assy that attach the mounting bracket.
Roll the rubber boot to access (2) phillip screws that keep the antenna mast tube connected to the motor assy.
At this point, you will be able to turn the radio on and when the motor extends the cable, then and only then will you be able to let the antenna mast cable roll out of the assy. Place the new mast back in the antenna mast tube and place new cable in the hole leading to the motor.
Turn radio off and motor will retract new cable. (assuming you have cable facing in correct direction as so the teeth will be able to bite into the cable)

Reverse directions and install.

Though other members were able to just pull their masts out, I was unable to. The whole procedure took about an hour (I had to do it 5 different times.... my mistakes, didn't let the cable go in all the way, had bracket tube turned, etc, etc)

Hope that helps, better to spend 30 bucks on new antenna mast and less than an hours labor that have to replace the assy ($116.00) and STILL have to do the same labor.

Mar
Old 10-23-2004, 01:48 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the info!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Update on replacing antenna mast...

Quick Reply: Update on replacing antenna mast...