Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All my mods, and opinion on each (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:10 PM
_Redline_
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All my mods, and my opinion on each (pics)

I have not been around the forum at all for the last three weeks. I have just been way to busy to spend anytime on the forum lately

I have learned a lot from this forum. And I made decisions on all my mods via research and posts from this forum. So I wanted to share my opinions and info I have on the mods I did, in hopes that it will help someone else decide what mods are best for them….

All my mods, and opinion on each (pics)

1) ZO6 Motor Sport Wheels – purchased at: Bobs House of Wheels – price: $1,000.00

At first I was not sure if I liked the new wheels. They totally changed the look of the car. But I have received a lot of compliments on them. But I want to get CCW’s or HRE’s, and hope to get them early next year. On a side note, Bob’s House of Wheels has some of the better deals I have found for wheels. I even went to his warehouse and saw all his inventory. Just do not let him send you to Tire Kingdom for mounting and balance. Also, he was not too helpful in resolving the problem TK caused. In fact, he told me, “if I sent you to a restaurant, and you got food poisoning would you hold me responsible for it”? Long story short, he insisted they are capable installers, they were not. He got his money so he had zero motivation to help me resolve with TK. So, if you buy from him, do so with caution, if you have a ‘warranty’ or
other problem, not so sure I would count on him to resolve it.

2) Halltech Stinger Air Intake – purchased at: A&A Corvette – price: $199.00

I bought this on sale from A&A Corvette. The sale was actually over when I called but Andy was nice enough to extend it a day for me. I had it for 6 weeks before I installed it, only because I was ‘afraid’ to. I am not much for DIY type stuff. But the install was fairly easy, even for me. Once installed and I took her for a drive I noticed a difference right away. How much HP did it add? I have no idea, but the throttle is much more responsive, and she shifts thru the gears much nicer. IMHO, this air intake does not look as, well, ‘sturdy’ as some others. If you compare, say the K&N air intake to the Halltech, just look at the construction, the number of hose clamps used etc. Of course the K&N is twice as much money too. Overall, I am very happy with the Halltech Stinger. It is performing very nicely for me, and for the money, well worth it.

3) Borla Stinger Quad Oval Cat Back – purchased at: Ecklers – price: $850.00 installed

Resonance? Yes, there is a little. I had to listen to the car for a while in different driving conditions to make a good assessment. The only time I would get that drone is at about 1,500 RPMS, mostly in 3rd or OD when accelerating at slow speeds. It’s the worst at about 60 mph in OD and under really low acceleration. At 2,000 to 2,100 RPMS, I could hardly hear the exhaust. I am doing about 80 to 85 mph in OD at those RPMS.

On the way home I was pretty much between 85 and 95 mph and you really could not hear the exhaust much. When you hit WOT, she really screams though. The new exhaust did not affect our drive home as far as 'too much cabin noise', and no head aches or anything like that at all. I have the 2:73 rear with an A4, and 1,500 rpms seems to be the only trouble spot.

All in all, I am very glad I did it. From what I have read it's very hard to get an exhaust that sounds good at idle, good at WOT, and have zero resonance. When I got back to the hotel after the show, another vette owner asked me about the Borla's. He thought I had just done the tips, so I started it up for him and gave it a few good revs, after that I had about 5 more people come up to me and start asking about my vette, and they all loved the way it sounded.
That made my day.

4) ZO6 Fuel Rail Covers – purchased at: Ecklers – price: $100.00 *

Most everything from here on is cosmetic stuff I did. I got the ZO6 Fuel Rails Covers to match the red air bridge on the Halltech air intake
because IMHO, I think they look good.

5) White Tail Light Louvers – purchased at: Ecklers – price: $60.00 *

Another mod I did that I was not too sure I liked after I did it. I do like them. I think I may change them out to flush mount instead. We’ll see.

6) Brake Light Red letter inserts, front and rear – purchased at: MID – price: $59.99 per set

This was the first mod I did, and I really like these. IMHO, they look like they are ‘supposed’ to be there. I highly recommend inserts to match/contrast your color.

7) Neoprene Seat Cover, CoverKing, w/ embroidered C5 logo head rest – purchase at: Extreme – price: $165.00

I was not sure about getting seat covers. I like the seats in my C5. But I know they tend to get really wrinkled looking after significant wear. I looked at the seat covers by Wet Okole, but they where $300.00 for the pair, and the logo was not embroidered. Extreme had them on sale, and they looked just like the WO’s, for $165.00. Although they were a royal pain in the azz to install, they fit nice and look good.

8) Lloyd Mats, Floor and Cargo, double embroidered – purchased at: Ecklers – price: $75 front/$105 rear *

These are really nice mats. I really like them. Although I have a grey interior, I went with black mats, with double red logo. I highly recommend these.

9) Clear door sills, with black letter – purchased at: Ecklers – price: $55.00 *

Well, these are a nice thought, and they probably do help protect the door sill. But I really do not care for how they look once on. And since water and dirt get up on the sill, they just trap that water and dirt between them. I will keep them for times I have to get the car serviced or something. For anything that would require someone else other than me climbing in and out.

10) Steering wheel, door sill, and passenger air bag decals – purchased at: cau-llc.com – price: $40.00

I do not know why GM just does not do this from the factory. Just a few decals really enhances the interior
appearance, IMHO.

11) Hood Seal – purchased at: cau-llc.com – price $12.00

Another one, I do not know why GM does not do this from the factory. It really helps keep the engine compartment clean, and a must have if you have an aftermarket air intake/filter.

12) Titanium Tint – purchased at: Gator Tint – price $140.00

I was really concerned about doing this. I heard so many horror stories, esp with the back window. I was fortunate, and the installer did a nice job on mine. It really helps keep the car cool, and looks cool too.

13) Exhaust Plate – purchased at: MID – price $50.00

Actually this and the letter inserts where my first mods. Another one, I do not know why GM does not do this from the factory. Simple and inexpensive too. And make your azz look a lot better.

Well, that's about all for now. All the prices with an * are reduced prices I received by attending the Eckler Reunion, and StuzVette unofficial cruise-in to Ecklers. A special thanks to StuzVette for hooking me up with some nice discounts.

ALso, I tried to inclue a picture for each mod in this post, however it would not let me post that many images.

So I will post them behind this post.

Last edited by _Redline_; 11-09-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:16 PM
_Redline_
Racer

More pics of my mods:

The Borla's:

The RailCovers:

The Tail Light Louvers:

The Seat Covers:

The Lloyd Mats:

Old 11-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice review of all the items you have purchased. Glad for the most part you like what you did. The wheels sure look good on your white car.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:31 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Old 11-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Old 11-09-2004, 06:29 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

My my, you've been busy and it looks outstanding. I like the backend, the louvers and the letter inserts look good.

Paul
Old 11-09-2004, 06:47 PM
JimAgain
Burning Brakes

Nice review
Old 11-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Derek Byrne
Instructor

All looks good Thanks for the reviews
Old 11-09-2004, 06:56 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Hey Jay...

You Vette looks great!

I was glad to be able to help...hmmm maybe I can help others with a discount on Ecklers stuff at another Unofficial Ecklers cruise-in...

hope to see you and your sweetheart again soon...

Nice review of the mods...

Old 11-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Thanks for the review. Since my car is white with a grey interior it's the best review I've read in awhile. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:10 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've done some nice stuff!
How about a "full length" shot of the car for another look at the wheels?
What kind of problem did you have with the mounting?
I certainly agree with the front & back letters - it's the least they could do!
Looks real
Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

You made some excellent choices there. Car looks really good!
Curious about the front mats in the pic with your seat covers. Are those the Loyds you listed in your mod list?
Old 11-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Great MODs! good Review!

Thanks

Old 11-09-2004, 07:28 PM
jfrc
Melting Slicks

boy, i thought i had been mod crazy, but i got some catching up to do
Billsteins
tunnel brace
4.10 gears
B&B PRT's
clear side lenses
clear brake lenses
shift handle
iforged 19/20's
rotors
Z06 swaybar links

next on my list is white paint, homemade 3" dual exhaust, more vent screens, tires for new wheels, and slam it
it will be a fun winter
Old 11-09-2004, 07:29 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Not trying to flame you but how is Bob responsible for what Tire Kingdom did to your wheels? I mean, did they scratch them or scrape them? If it was anything other than something structurally wrong or paint peeling I don't see blaming Bob.BTW, your car looks great!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
KonaVette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by talon90
My my, you've been busy and it looks outstanding. I like the backend, the louvers and the letter inserts look good.

Paul
nice review of your mod's
Old 11-09-2004, 07:33 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KonaVette
nice review of your mod's

Get notified of new replies

To All my mods, and opinion on each (pics)

Old 11-09-2004, 07:34 PM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

Old 11-09-2004, 07:37 PM
bpc4me
Pro

good job, nice review
Old 11-09-2004, 07:43 PM
JOHNNY P.
Drifting

Location: IF YOUR BIG DOLLAR PROJECT DOESN'T RUN 9'S OR BETTER ....BURN IT ! SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GRAB A LANE ! CHICAGO IL. -------- HOME OF THE FASTEST STREETCARS BARNONE !
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Pics and Mods , You can't blame Bob for just recommending TK to do the Mounting and Balance and then having them Goof it up unless he held a Gun to Your Head and made You go there.

Quick Reply: All my mods, and opinion on each (pics)