Sponsored by:

NEW CLB issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:58 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default NEW CLB issues?

Well I need your help. I have searched this site for CLB issues. Here are some conclusions.
1) column locks car can't steer. This tells the BCM to give you no fuel. Guys use CLB's to prevent the problem.

2) after recall fix all you get is a BCM reflash to cut fuel if the column locks. But the locking column problem is not fixed.

3) Best fix is BCM reflash AND column motor blocking plate (only for A4 but can be owner done for M6)

4) if you get the recall AND use the aftermarket CLB you get this example as posted from multiple guys:

"Quote:
...I installed the CLB after having it fixed the first time via the recall, just tonight, I got the service column lock msg, car shuts off at 1mph... But I can turn the wheel though"

so the CLB will allow you to turn your wheel but the fuel is cut per the new BCM program.

6) in nonrecall A4's and non-recalled or recalled m6's the pin is still active and can lock at ANYTIME undermotion. (I have this in an internal chevy memo) VERY DANGEROUS.

So in conclusion it appears that the best fix is to be preventing the locking of the column which prevents the lock motor feedback to the BCM to cut the fuel. I guess the only way to do this is to use the A4 pin lockout plate in all A4's and install this same plate in the M6 even if it is against the FEDS and NOT use an aftermarket CLB because it screws up due to the new BCM programing.

So you C5 experts does this sound right?

Regards,

Z16 Z06 Newbie
Old 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've had the recall done on my M6 and have the CLB. Not had a problem on the car. The recall was done in early October and reinstalled the CLB right after.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:12 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I've had the recall done on my M6 and have the CLB. Not had a problem on the car. The recall was done in early October and reinstalled the CLB right after.
same here. Did the recall, and a couple weeks later did the CLB while I had the dash apart to install gage bezels. 19000 mi and no problem yet. Work done at about 15K mi.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:47 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

What CLB do you guys run? I just saw another post of an 04 guy and he had water temp guage problems with the replaced CLB! He takes the clb in and out and the gage functions when clb out consistently. Very strange.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

With the MN6 I'll be putting in the Harness K which is GM's CLB for the A4. With this you don't need the locking plate because the CL is not connected. Your supposed to connect it but I will not connect it. Therefore it will never engage and lock the steering. Also I will not have the reflash done. So if any messages come up it will not shut down the fuel. No need if the steering isn't locked. Hope that all made sense.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:11 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stock Man
With the MN6 I'll be putting in the Harness K which is GM's CLB for the A4. With this you don't need the locking plate because the CL is not connected. Your supposed to connect it but I will not connect it. Therefore it will never engage and lock the steering. Also I will not have the reflash done. So if any messages come up it will not shut down the fuel. No need if the steering isn't locked. Hope that all made sense.
I'm not sure you can do that. If you don't connect the cl the bcm reads an open and then you have a fuel problem at least on the new reflashed units. I do not know what your proposal does to the old bcm program.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:22 PM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of confusion still going around on the column lock issue.

Here's some info that should help:

- CL is powered to UNLOCK when the ignition key is turned to ON, and powered to LOCK when the key is pulled out.

- The BCM gets a Status signal to confirm the CL is in the LOCK or UNLOCK state. If the BCM does not detect the correct UNLOCK state when the car is running, it will cut fuel if you try to drive the car over 3 MPH. The DIC will display SERVICE COLUMN LOCK.

- The CLB is an aftermarket device that was made available 4 years ago to simulate the CL status signal. The CL is powered to UNLOCK, then completely disconnected so it never does anything again. The CLB then is connected to the same harness and detects when the BCM sends the LOCK and UNLOCK signals, then sends the corresponding LOCK and UNLOCK state to the BCM. The CLB is a solid state device that receives inputs and generates outputs.

- GM came out with several service campaigns to "attempt" to address the poor design of the CL. The latest situation is that:

--- All A4 models will have the CL disconnected, the locking plates removed, and a blocking plate installed. They then install a Harness K cable that is basically a GM version of the CLB and simulates the CL state.

--- All MN6 models do not have other immobilization features (the A4 have the shift brake interlock), so MN6s cannot have the Harness K option installed. MN6s will get various CL services (CL motor replaced, etc.) and the new BCM reflash to handle a specific and non-common case where a low battery voltage could prevent the BCM from detecting the LOCK state and allowing the car to be driven above 3 MPH with the CL locked.

- Best Options for A4: Get the latest service campaign done to install the Harness K.

- Best Options for MN6: Install either the aftermarket CLB (some older '97-99 C5s have reported some problems, though) or purchase teh Harness K from GM and perform the same operation as is done on the A4s. GM will not do this on a MN6 so you would need to do it yourself.

Other notes: I installed the aftermarket CLB back in 2000 when I got my car, and 4+ years later I have had ZERO problems with it.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

...TTT
Old 12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

JC said it all. If you use either the CLB or the Harness K both simulate the CL. So since something else is connected to the BCM that simulates the CL you can disconnect the CL and it's not missed be the BCM. Therefore once the CL is unlocked you can completely disconnect it. Never to lock again.

Get notified of new replies

To NEW CLB issues?

Quick Reply: NEW CLB issues?