Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:( i had to drive my baby today... Salt on the roads...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :( i had to drive my baby today... Salt on the roads...

Well my other winter car wouldnt start today so i had to drive my baby... Its not snowing out but there is a ton of salt on the road... I am very concerned about my corsa exhaust and undersdie of the car... What will the salt do?

Thanks guys
Wayne
Old 12-20-2004, 05:23 PM
quasarblue92
Instructor

Over the long term salt will corrode your frame but if this is just a one time experience or if you can get it washed off when the weather gets a little better its not a big deal. Long term exposure to salt though is not good for any metal parts. Thats why my two babies are put to sleep for the winter.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 PM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Put the car in a garage if you have one and hose off the underneath of the car either with cold or warm water if you have your water heater near by you can use the water from that.If you want you can throw a bucket of soapy water under the car before you give it a final rinse.So water first then bucket of soapy water then final rinse.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:45 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i love my car 2 but don't forget it's only a car, you get hit by a bus tomorrow dam thing is still here. matter of fact people may be fighting over it. so care drive it like it was your last.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:08 PM
2 LOW 4 YOU
Pro

i feel for you it sux
Old 12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
pdd000
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 18 Wit A Vette
i feel for you it sux
Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by quasarblue92
Over the long term salt will corrode your frame but if this is just a one time experience or if you can get it washed off when the weather gets a little better its not a big deal. Long term exposure to salt though is not good for any metal parts. Thats why my two babies are put to sleep for the winter.
Mine's in the garage. I don't want an ugly restore job 10 years from now.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:45 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the ohio valley is supposed to get 6-12 inches of the white stuff with maybe up to a 1/4 inch of ice. i cannot wait, time to break out the 4 wheeler, ski rope, and 2 plastic sleds and unleash hell on my neighborhood. ahahahaha

but yeah, just clean it off and it won't hurt anything
Old 12-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

My 98 is in the garage for the winter; but I could not resist taking the Harley out for a brisk ride Saturday. Good timing as they dumped salt and cinder on the roads Sunday, so now the bike is parked as well.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:07 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well considering that hardly any of the frame is even exposed to the elements what does it matter? The only metal parts that really get exposed are suspension components but those are simple to rinse off and dont really rust anyway. I love my car just like you guys and work very hard for it, but geez its only a car. Snow and rain and even some salt is not going to hurt it. In 5 years (which I likely wont have this vette anyway) would look as good if not better than some of your garage queens. I bought my car to drive not sit half of the year. I see cars MUCH more expensive riding around in the salt around here in the Barrington/Lake Zurich area than our Corvettes. While your driving your winter beater im cruisin in style :-)

Old 12-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I hate salt. I live in upstate NY and my '04 won't see the road until April. I think the salt mist gets everywhere and it reacts with condensation every time there is warm air touching the cold metal parts of the car including frame that you can't see.
I feel that there is no way to clean the salt mist out unless you go to a car wash (taboo as well) and get an under carriage blast. One time is not a huge deal but do everything you can not to drive in salt even if you have to commute withyour boss.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:14 PM
T's
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Well considering that hardly any of the frame is even exposed to the elements what does it matter? The only metal parts that really get exposed are suspension components but those are simple to rinse off and dont really rust anyway. I love my car just like you guys and work very hard for it, but geez its only a car. Snow and rain and even some salt is not going to hurt it. In 5 years (which I likely wont have this vette anyway) would look as good if not better than some of your garage queens. I bought my car to drive not sit half of the year. I see cars MUCH more expensive riding around in the salt around here in the Barrington/Lake Zurich area than our Corvettes. While your driving your winter beater im cruisin in style :-)

Great looking pic, man that's nice !!!!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:18 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28

alRIGHT! love it!

your vette is HOT btw
Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Old 12-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Izover4u
Well my other winter car wouldnt start today so i had to drive my baby... Its not snowing out but there is a ton of salt on the road... I am very concerned about my corsa exhaust and undersdie of the car... What will the salt do?

Thanks guys
Wayne
Oh man your car is done! in a few days the frame will just fall apart!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Drive that baby, but wash its bottom often. I do mine.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

The black oxide screws that hold the body parts on will rust fast and the powertrain computer along with it's connectors are under the car where the salt collects.

Get notified of new replies

To :( i had to drive my baby today... Salt on the roads...

Old 12-21-2004, 10:21 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

It's a car. Don't worry about it just spray underneath like any other car when it gets warmer out.

I am in Atlanta now as i just moved here from the north. I think i am selling my other car. I really could care less about driving it in the rain anymore. it is just a car. yeah i love it more than any other car anywhere near its price but it is still just a car.

Don't love possessions.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Red Vamp
Le Mans Master

Sorry to hear that, man. I must admit, if my Jetta and Trailblazer fail me I'd probably rent a car before I gave my Vette a salt bath.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Wouldn't a car like the Corvette handle the salt better than most of your winter beaters? I must admit i'm driving my car all winter long, why shouldn't you guys up north?

Quick Reply: :( i had to drive my baby today... Salt on the roads...