Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:42 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Assistance please ... headlight bulb changeout

I bought some Silver Star bulbs and need a bit of help in installing them. I removed the bezel and the painted headlight mechanism cover to expose the rear of the bulbs. Access is still quite limited.

1. Does anything else need to be removed to take the bulb out? (the instructions with the bulb say to remove the retainer ring.)
2. Do you have to push, then turn, or what?
3. Which direction do you turn when veiwed facing the front of the car ... clockwise or counterclockwise. I couldn't get it to move in either direction.
4. Any trick to removing the plug for the wires?
5. The low-beam bulb (on the outboard) is much harder to access. Any tricks?

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't have to remove anything. Even with big hands like I have you should be able to pop the lights and open the hood and then reach in and turn and remove the headlights. I forget which way to turn but just remember to turn back the other way and if you can the orientation of the plug because they only go back one way. It will scratch the back of your hands but it is not that bad.
Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
You shouldn't have to remove anything. Even with big hands like I have you should be able to pop the lights and open the hood and then reach in and turn and remove the headlights. I forget which way to turn but just remember to turn back the other way and if you can the orientation of the plug because they only go back one way. It will scratch the back of your hands but it is not that bad.
Good luck.

You didn't have to remove the painted cover. just put the lights in the raised position (you can do that manually, i just did it by turning lights on, then back to parking position - manual is safer) and undo the bezel. I had the hood raised. Just reach in there after disconnecting the harness. Turn it one way, if it doesn't work, turn it the other way.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:55 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by 99C5Vert
You didn't have to remove the painted cover. just put the lights in the raised position (you can do that manually, i just did it by turning lights on, then back to parking position - manual is safer) and undo the bezel. I had the hood raised. Just reach in there after disconnecting the harness. Turn it one way, if it doesn't work, turn it the other way.

I swear the drivers side was glued in... but it finally came out.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
BBates
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not able to access mine from the top due to shattering my wrist a few years ago. My right wrist does not bend like it should. Anyway, I got to mine from underneath. I put it up on ramps and removed to access panel below the fog lights. From there put the lights down and reach way up there and switch them out. Good luck!!
Old 01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

access is tight, and as you noted it is worse for the low beams. The bulbs only turn one way. Note that direction as you remove the old ones, then reverse it for the newbies - they only turn about 1/4 turn to come out. If you have access to a Honey I shrunk the Kids machine, that may help!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:32 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Didja gettem??????????
Old 01-17-2005, 06:32 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Didja gettem??????????
Not yet ... it was so dark in the garage I couldn't really see, and waaaaay too cold to do it outside. I'll wait a couple of days ... should be in the 40's by then. I did get my fog lights raised though ....

I still don't see how I'm going to be able to get my hand in the tight spots, with the sharp metal edges of the frame all around, and be able to exert any force.

Plus ... I don't want to turn it the wrong way and break the bulb off.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:42 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Not yet ... it was so dark in the garage I couldn't really see, and waaaaay too cold to do it outside. I'll wait a couple of days ... should be in the 40's by then. I did get my fog lights raised though ....

I still don't see how I'm going to be able to get my hand in the tight spots, with the sharp metal edges of the frame all around, and be able to exert any force.

Plus ... I don't want to turn it the wrong way and break the bulb off.

You won't break the bulb off as it is plugged into the housing itself and the whole thing comes out. Mine turned out kinda hard but you can't really hurt anything. If it doesn't release turning one way, try the other way. Wear latex gloves or use a paper towel or handkerchief to hold the actual glass of the bulb. Touching with your fingers transfers skin oil which will diminish the bulb life.

Get notified of new replies

To Assistance please ... headlight bulb changeout

Quick Reply: Assistance please ... headlight bulb changeout