Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

NEO MP3 Car Jukebox

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 02:10 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEO MP3 Car Jukebox

$336.99 :)
http://www.tlelectronics.com/catalog...roducts_id=144

There are a few ways you can connect the NEO MP3 jukebox. You can connect the NEO MP3 jukebox to your stock CD player by using a PIE adapter. This adapter is $66.99 and if your car is not pre-wired for a CD changer from factory then you will also need a PIE wire harness which is also $66.99 (You can go here for more info on this adapter http://www.tlelectronics.com/catalog...roducts_id=154 )

The 2nd way of connecting is via a FM modulator. It will transmit the audio signal from Neo to your FM radio at 88.1, 88.7 or 89.1Mhz.

And then CDC Adapter which lets you directly connect your Neo MP3 Car Jukebox to your car's aftermarket headunits. You can control it, see the directory name, song name while you browse (On headunits that have text display). Your radio will think the Neo Car Jukebox is its own CD-Changer and communicate with it. With the CDC Adapter you get clean and smooth sound quality because the Neo Car Jukebox is directly connected to your Headunit via the CDC Adapter.

Compatible headunits includes Pioneer headunits with IP bus, Kenwood units that support CD text or Sirius Radio (cd text also), and Alpine /w Ai-Net. (They will release the CDC adapter for Sony soon.)
Here are some of the features:

• 20GB of Storage space (Roughly 5000 songs / 400 CD's)
• Installs like a CD-changer and can be mounted in any angle.
• Comes with a Home Stereo docking bay
• Fits in all Cars
• Mini Browser for easy CD search
• Have your Music by Genre, Artist, Alphabet etc..
• Built in Equalizer
• Various Playmodes: Random, Random All, Repeat, Repeat All, Dir-Only, -
Folder & Sub-Folders, Random Play-List & Cue Up Next Song
• Digital Analog converter: Dual 18-bit
• Wired front display panel
• Displays mp3 filename and ID3 tags
• Internal Shock-Absorbing Suspension
• Fast USB 2.0 Connection
• Comes with Management software that records your CDs
• Automatically retrieves CD info. ( Genre, Artist name, Album, Track)
• Appears like a regular drive, Drag & Drop any mp3 file to and from it.
• Compatible with: Windows XP, Win2000, WinME, Win98, Win95OSR2,
• Also Compatible with: MAC OS X, OS 9, OS 8
• Operates with a 3.5" IDE hard-drive
• Supports MP2 and MP3 at 8-320 Kbps (including VBR)
• Accepts playlists (M3U files)
• Easily upgradeable via downloadable firmware
• Digital anti-shock mechanism ( 2 Minutes)
• Infra-red (IR) credit size remote control
• Remote control panel for trunk installation.
• Car/home docking bays
• Four line LCD displays track/directory information, volume, and play mode with backlight.
• Includes various play modes, including randomization, randomization of playlists, repeat, repeat all, song queue and more
• One-year full warranty

Here are some pics of my install. It is currently installed the rear compartment. I will run it there for few more weeks and see if there is any problem with heat. If yes, I will just move it to another location. No big deal. :)

And here is a picture with it playing through my Alpine headunit via the CDC adapter. Notice that it also shows the song title via the headunit. :)

:cheers:
-Tuan

[Modified by Tuan Le, 11:14 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 03:02 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (Tuan Le)

i've considered getting this unit or something similiar why have you decided to get rid of it?
Old 02-27-2003, 04:09 AM
gtragitt
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (knowledgefreak)

I believe Tuan Lee is a Supporting Vendor and was able to get a group price for the Neo MP3 Jukebox. He should also be able to provide useful information on installation using the PIE cables.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:28 AM
esram
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been looking st this. Does our stock unit control this with one of the optional adapters or would have to use the fm modulator? :smash:
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (esram)

can i crack it open and install my own hard drive?
Old 02-27-2003, 11:37 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox

Thanks gtragitt. :)

been looking st this. Does our stock unit control this with one of the optional adapters or would have to use the fm modulator? :smash:
No, you not be able to control it with the stock headunit. You control it via its own interface shown in the picture. :) What the optional PIE adapter allow you to do is to use the CD-Changer port as an auxiliary input port for audio only.

However, if you have an aftermarket headunit such as Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer then you can get an CDC adapter which let you integrate the NEO jukebox into the headunit and control it from there. They just don't have this type of adapter for the stock headunit.

can i crack it open and install my own hard drive?
You sure can. :) Here is some more info from the manufacture regarding to harddrive.

You can basically use any kind of IDE hard drive with the NEO. There is no size limit. Some Hard drives seem to work better than others. As a rule of thumb, Western digital drives have a hard time and Maxtor or Seagate drives work well. 7200rpm and 5400rpm drives will both work in the NEO but it seems better to use 5400rpm because they draw less current and do not produce as much heat.

:cheers:

[Modified by Tuan Le, 10:39 AM 2/27/2003]
Old 02-27-2003, 02:19 PM
bparker
Melting Slicks

Wow Tuan - this thing is cool! How long are you going to run this special?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:46 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (bparker)

Wow Tuan - this thing is cool! How long are you going to run this special?
Probably over the next couple weeks. :) :cheers:
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Tuan,

Have you ever opened the NEO up? I just got mine from an e-bay auction from about 2 weeks ago, and I've got the 20GB model and I want to put a bigger HD in it. However, the unit itself seems to be 'sealed' pretty well. I couldn't see a decent way to get it open w/o prying so I decided to defer until I could look at it further. Just wondering if you have any pointers for DIY'ers who want to switch out the HD.

Also, are you planning on carrying the full line of the NEO accessories? I'm wanting to get 2 more car caddies, a wired remote and the Alpine AI-Net/CDC unit. I'm planning on switching the NEO between 3 vehicles (my 'vette, my DD and my truck), once I get everything set up correctly.

For anyone who has not purchased one yet, this price is great! They go for a bit more coin than this if you buy them from SSI (the manufacturer)!
Old 02-28-2003, 10:43 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (AllCammedUp)

Tuan,

Have you ever opened the NEO up? I just got mine from an e-bay auction from about 2 weeks ago, and I've got the 20GB model and I want to put a bigger HD in it. However, the unit itself seems to be 'sealed' pretty well. I couldn't see a decent way to get it open w/o prying so I decided to defer until I could look at it further. Just wondering if you have any pointers for DIY'ers who want to switch out the HD.
20GB of MP3 is not enough for ya? Don't tell me you are going to stick the biggest IDE drive in there. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I haven't opened up one yet, but I will very soon in order to upgrade a firmware chip in there. This upgrade is needed in order to use the CDC adapter if you do not purchase the unit and the CDC adapter together. (And if you do purchase them together, the manufacture can have it configured for you)

Also, are you planning on carrying the full line of the NEO accessories? I'm wanting to get 2 more car caddies, a wired remote and the Alpine AI-Net/CDC unit. I'm planning on switching the NEO between 3 vehicles (my 'vette, my DD and my truck), once I get everything set up correctly.
I'm not sure if they still sell the car caddies separately without the drive. I will look into it for you.

I do have the Alpine AI-Net CDC adapter that you're looking for. Here is the link to order. http://www.tlelectronics.com/catalog...roducts_id=145
Old 03-01-2003, 11:07 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

20GB of MP3 is not enough for ya? Don't tell me you are going to stick the biggest IDE drive in there
Actually, I'll have to do some picking and choosing w/ a 40GB drive! All of my CD's are encoded @ 192kb/s, so that accounts for a good portion of the needed space.

I haven't opened up one yet, but I will very soon in order to upgrade a firmware chip in there. This upgrade is needed in order to use the CDC adapter if you do not purchase the unit and the CDC adapter together. (And if you do purchase them together, the manufacture can have it configured for you)
I don't like the sounds of this. Can you clarify this a bit? If a special upgraded firmware is needed to use the CDC adapters (just like the speech chip) does this mean that I cannot use the CDC adapter in one car and the wired remote in a second car? This to me sounds like the NEO is configured to talk to a wired remote or a CDC adapter, but cannot switch between the two automatically. Is this the case? If so, I'll just use the wired remote in all 3 vehicles and forego the CDC adapter (against my wishes).

I'm not sure if they still sell the car caddies separately without the drive. I will look into it for you.
Thank you. If that's the case, people who want to do a multi-vehicle setup better get on the stick and order the additional car caddies while (if) you still can!

I do have the Alpine AI-Net CDC adapter that you're looking for. Here is the link to order.
Does the CDC adapter come w/ the upgraded firmware chip? It was my understanding that the upgraded firmware chip (I'm going on what I read on the SSI site) was for the speech output only due to the text display limitations of most HU's. The site didn't say anything about the firmware enabling the CDC adapter. Just trying to get all the facts... we do appreciate you helping us out with this! :yesnod:

Thanks Tuan! :cheers:

[Modified by AllCammedUp, 11:07 AM 3/1/2003]
Old 03-03-2003, 01:38 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

I don't like the sounds of this. Can you clarify this a bit? If a special upgraded firmware is needed to use the CDC adapters (just like the speech chip) does this mean that I cannot use the CDC adapter in one car and the wired remote in a second car? This to me sounds like the NEO is configured to talk to a wired remote or a CDC adapter, but cannot switch between the two automatically. Is this the case?
That is correct.

Does the CDC adapter come w/ the upgraded firmware chip
Each CDC adapter with come with the upgraded firmware chip. :)

-Tuan
Old 03-04-2003, 04:22 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

That is correct.
Dang man, that's a bum. I was really hoping I'd be able to use the wired remote in one vehicle and use the CDC in my 'vette. Guess I'm gonna have to go 'least common denominator' and use the wired remote in all. :mad

Oh, I did find something out from SSI: FAT32 is the only file system they support on the NEO. So....... if you are running XP/Win2K be aware that the largest FAT32 partition you can format under those OS's is 32GB. If you have a drive in the NEO that is larger than that, you'll have to format the NEO's drive under Win98/95OSR2 or use a utility like Partition Magic. Once you have the big 80GB (:D) drive formatted, XP/Win2K will be able to read/write it fine.

Thanks for the help, Tuan!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:39 PM
thefly
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, i know what i want for my birthday!!!! that is bad azz... :eek: :D
Old 03-06-2003, 12:23 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Oh, I did find something out from SSI: FAT32 is the only file system they support on the NEO. So....... if you are running XP/Win2K be aware that the largest FAT32 partition you can format under those OS's is 32GB. If you have a drive in the NEO that is larger than that, you'll have to format the NEO's drive under Win98/95OSR2 or use a utility like Partition Magic. Once you have the big 80GB (:D) drive formatted, XP/Win2K will be able to read/write it fine.
That is very good to know. :cheers:

Let me know if you are interested in getting the car-bay, aluminum heat sink and wired remote control.

-Tuan
Old 03-06-2003, 05:28 PM
Jauch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a neo jukebox in my Z06, the product is great, but it does have its flaws.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:43 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Let me know if you are interested in getting the car-bay, aluminum heat sink and wired remote control.
Actually, Tuan, I need two of everything you just mentioned. Are these items available on your site? How much for a 'package'?

Get notified of new replies

To NEO MP3 Car Jukebox

Old 03-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (Jauch)

I have a neo jukebox in my Z06, the product is great, but it does have its flaws.
Please explain. I am very seriously considering this unit and would be interested to hear about your experience.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Jauch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (Mr Snappy!)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my Neo for anything at this point. I've had mine for over a year, and it is the first generation Neo, but I think the firmware is the same as the new one's. SSI's service for the Neo doesn't leave much to be desired. They still don't have the ramdom song selection feature working right. Neo's have power issues. It takes alot of power to spin up the drive. The cars battary isn't enough to spin it up by itself, so the car has to be running to get it to play. Since the neo doesn't have a power button, you have to start the car, let the neo drive spin up, shut the car off and back on for it to start playing. I'm using a 7200 rpm maxtor 40 gig, maybe a 5400 rpm drive will help on this, not sure. I just recently upgraded the firmware chip to the voice chip, It's pretty cool and is a conversation piece but gets old after awhile, haven't used it in months, and the computer voice isn't very good. There is a good forum for neo users you can get alot of help with. If you want pics of my neo setup let me know.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Re: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox (Jauch)

I would love to see pics,
I also sent you an email if you prefer to email them to me.

Thanks !

Quick Reply: NEO MP3 Car Jukebox