C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Code P1416

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 05:23 PM
EdLedbetter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P1416

I went to DIC and read the following code which is causing my check engine display to light up. I clear it and it comes back again in a day or so. (car is daily driver). Code is P1416.
A local shop tells me this is secondary air injection bank 2. Is this something I can repair / replace on my own or a shop fix?
EEL
Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 AM
0rion
Racer

I'm attaching a link to a picture I hosted that shows an exploded view of the AIR system. You can try to clean the check valve ( #30 in the picture). Check your hoses ( Crushed or leaking )and connections for that side but I'd bet it's that check valve. They're about $30 I think from a dealer or I can see what kinda shape mine are in that I have in the shed and it's free if you want it.

Link

AIR system exploded view

Last edited by 0rion; 02-16-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Insom
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just took care of the same problem on my 2001 z06!

i went to Autozone they pulled the P1416 code.. he said try the gas cap.

i was like what.. he said if the gas cap is dirty or not sealed letting air in the tank it can throw a code.

so i grabbed a rag and cleaned it off.. then closed it again. 3 clicks.

turn on the car.. bam Check engine light is gone!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
EdLedbetter
Instructor

Default P1416

Thanks to all of you for your input - - - I always "click" my gas cap, but have tried wiping it off. I'll try that first then go the check valves - - - I'll post results
Thanks again!
EL
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 AM
0rion
Racer

Insom, were you aware you can pull your own codes and don't have to go to autozone to have them pulled?
Also, the puzzling thing about your situation is the "gas cap" code is an evap code and the air system and evap system are completely seperate. I'm gonna make a guess here and say that he cleared your code when he did the scan so that's why your light wasn't on anymore. If it hasn't come back again then maybe you just had an anomaly and it won't be back. I can post up a bunch of info from another site on the conditions required to set the MIL and things like that if you guys want. I'll have to dig up the other site first though.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Insom
Pro

Orion: how do i pull my own code?? thanks! saves me a trip to VatoZone

the light hasn't been back
Old 02-18-2005, 04:03 AM
0rion
Racer

I copied this from another thread.

To get the codes do the following. Put the key into the ignition and turn to on--but do not start. The DIC will go through its cycle "General Motors Corvette--ECT----When that finishes hold in the options button--While the options button is held in press the fuel button 4x. This will take you to the Diagnostic display which will go through all of the various computer modes. If there are codes they will appear after the computer mode. this will run through the whole cycle automatically. When the auto cycle is complete, it will go to a manual mode. The options button will take you to each code. If you have an error-- by hitting reset the error will be removed. The options button and the one above it will take you manually through all of the possible errors and you could remove them one by one if you want
Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 PM
SmokieTheZ
Instructor

I had the same P1416 code on my 01 Z06. It turned out to be a hose that came disconnected from the AIR pump. Found this out only after replacing the check valves, which was a bit of a pain. Check your AIR pump hoses... it could be that simple.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Insom
Pro

thanks..

my check engine light came back so i guess the vato zone guy just reset it.

does it set back timing or something when the light is on? it ran way better when it was off it seems.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:00 AM
0rion
Racer

I kinda figured it would be back to see you. Did you figure out how to pull and reset the code yourself? I'm not sure if the car goes into "limp home" mode or not for that DTC. I'll have to see if I can hunt that info down. I'm thinking it doesn't because that's primarily a start up emmisions deal and not a critical point for the engine but that's just a guess. I'll see if I can find the info on it somewhere. Start with SmokietheZ's idea and work your way up. Sometimes the simple things are what gets ya. Good luck and be sure and post back what you find for other people that may have the problem down the road and find this post doing a search although my experience has been not many people know about the search. Best kept secret on the web.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Insom
Pro

yeah i figured out how to reset the code.. thanks man.

i'm probably going to have the air stuff removed when i go in for the cam & header install.

Get notified of new replies

To Code P1416

Quick Reply: Code P1416