C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

A4 and Torque Convert Help Needed (with HP Tuners)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default A4 and Torque Convert Help Needed (with HP Tuners)

I have HP Tuners. I need to adjust the speed that my Torque Convert locks up. Where is that? I have a Vigalante 2600 3-disc stall converter and a 4L65E tranny from RPM.

For some reason, when I am cruising at 70 MPH on the Interstate, my RPMs are around 2100. After a short while my RPMs just to 2450-2500, and the converter is unlocked.

I want to make sure it stays locked when cruising!

Help!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csdunaway
I have HP Tuners. I need to adjust the speed that my Torque Convert locks up. Where is that? I have a Vigalante 2600 3-disc stall converter and a 4L65E tranny from RPM.

For some reason, when I am cruising at 70 MPH on the Interstate, my RPMs are around 2100. After a short while my RPMs just to 2450-2500, and the converter is unlocked.

Help!
Come in people help this guy ,this must be a simple fix, whit all the HP tuners user on this FORUM.....
Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Ttt!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

There are several things you must do to help a stall converter shift and hold ---
1st I always delete the the lock-up in 3rd gear--this is done by maxing out the apply/release tables in 3rd--
I would set the apply in 4th to around 49 MPH up to around 50%tps---and the release to 39 up to 50% tps-the rest of the table make it gradually higher
You should max out all the misfire tables--A stall converter triggers false misfires and it will make the converter UNLOCK--
You should set the entire "PWM" table Min to 98 and the Max to 100%
Remove all the TQ mangement--( you may leave some at the 1-2 shift if you have a hds/cam type car as the 1-2 shift can be dangerous because it will break loose at the shift near 70 MPH and you could spin out-
I would start with these changes 1st and see how it works--
Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by tblu92
There are several things you must do to help a stall converter shift and hold ---
1st I always delete the the lock-up in 3rd gear--this is done by maxing out the apply/release tables in 3rd--
I would set the apply in 4th to around 49 MPH up to around 50%tps---and the release to 39 up to 50% tps-the rest of the table make it gradually higher
You should max out all the misfire tables--A stall converter triggers false misfires and it will make the converter UNLOCK--
Remove all the TQ mangement--( you may leave some at the 1-2 shift if you have a hds/cam type car as the 1-2 shift can be dangerous because it will break loose at the shift near 70 MPH and you could spin out-

All this sounds good, but what tables do I need to update to change the lockup parameters???
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

All this sounds good, but what tables do I need to update to change the lockup parameters???
These ARE the tables you need to adjust the TCC parameters with a stall converter---If you are talking about the speed of when it locks (or applys) I went over that too---as mentioned the false misfires from the stall converter will make it unlock at cruising speeds--And then you must set the PWM table as i described--that will aid in keeping it locked as well--
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

OK, I see you mentioned the tables I put in bold. Forgive me, but I am not real familiar with my HP Tuners yet. Could you please point me to where these tables are? Are they lsited under the TRANS tab? I've looked and not found them.

Thanks for your patience with me!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

OK, Well, I rememered I purchased a training manual from The Tuning School... I just researched and found all I need there! Thanks for pointing me to the right area.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:39 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

No problem---I have EFILIVE and you have HP----I could give you the exact table #'s in EFILIVE but you couldn't use them--But even in HP the decription of the tables should be close to the same or simliar--All the TCC stuff is in the trans tuning section---The PWM table is in trans Pressure section---The misfire tables shoul be in the "engine diagnostics" section

You also if it becomes annoying and you continue to get a slipping code--you can remove the "slipping tests" by maxing/minimizing out the appropriate tables--there are 4-5 of them---they can be found in the "transmission diagnostics "
section --under slipping test--

Last edited by tblu92; 10-17-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:02 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

OK, I am getting close. I wwas using the VCM Scanner while driving, and found the VCM Controls. I was able to turn on the TCC PWM, and the Torque Coverter would lock up.

Now, how can I program the TCC PWM to lock up at say 35 MPH under a light load (less than 25% throttle) ?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

In the scan tool you can lock up the converter in any gear and at any speed--BUT this is just to use while you are using the scan tool--it does not permanently program the ECM--Most people use this feature while making dyno runs to lock the converter in 3rd--you get higher #'s that way---To program it permanently--you have to go into the tuning tool and in the TCC section under the heading "pressures" you should see the PWM table---set the entire min table to 98 and the entire max table to 99---
Setting the TCC to lock up at 35 is pretty low--It will really lug the motor--depending on your rear gears--i have 3.42's and I have mine to lock up at 49 MPH---If you have 3.15 or 2.73 gears i would set it at least a min of 48 up to say 50% TPS---If the apply rate is lower than what the 3-4 shift point is -it will still lock up after about 2 seconds or so --it locks very quickly after--sometimes it even locks up at the same time---But to me a lock up at 35 will make it lug and bog to much when driving around town--A 2500 stall is very mild and should be barely noticeable--
Old 10-18-2009, 12:42 AM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Help!
If the converter is unlocking the computer will show a code. What is it?
I bet the computer is seeing some slip and thinks your TCC is damaged. Probably need to adjust the TCC slip limit slightly.
If you have been to the tuning school class, Bob gives one year of support.
Not a fan of maxing out tables (misfire, for example) unless you have to (maybe you have a mega-cam.) You need these to help diagnose problems.
Search "TCC slip" in HPtuners forum; been addressed many times.
The table is located in your Editor at:
trans/auto TCC/ Apply/Release Speed / normal - adjust the normal and release tables.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

In the scan tool you can lock up the converter in any gear and at any speed--BUT this is just to use while you are using the scan tool--it does not permanently program the ECM--Most people use this feature while making dyno runs to lock the converter in 3rd--you get higher #'s that way---To program it permanently--you have to go into the tuning tool and in the TCC section under the heading "pressures" you should see the PWM table---set the entire min table to 98 and the entire max table to 99---
Setting the TCC to lock up at 35 is pretty low--It will really lug the motor--depending on your rear gears--i have 3.42's and I have mine to lock up at 49 MPH---If you have 3.15 or 2.73 gears i would set it at least a min of 48 up to say 50% TPS---If the apply rate is lower than what the 3-4 shift point is -it will still lock up after about 2 seconds or so --it locks very quickly after--sometimes it even locks up at the same time---But to me a lock up at 35 will make it lug and bog to much when driving around town--A 2500 stall is very mild and should be barely noticeable--
While driving up a mountain road, that is 15 miles long, I can only average 35 MPH. The Torque Converter is constantly slipping and the transmission temp went up to 250. This is why I want the ability of it locking at 25 with a throttle Position under 25%.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI ! I was the first to post on your tread, and I had no help for you.
But when I installed my TC ,I was getting the lock, unlock, and codes and codes ... then I got DIABLO to eliminate the lockup in 3RD gear, it solved my problem. This was recommended in a previous reply to you. AS I stated this rectified my issues , so maybe this could be one of the first thing you could do. Regards and good ........
Old 10-18-2009, 07:56 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I am all done now! I fould all I needed in my 'Tuning the Right Way' book from the Tuning School.

Thanks for everyone who pointed me in the right area!

Get notified of new replies

To A4 and Torque Convert Help Needed (with HP Tuners)

Quick Reply: A4 and Torque Convert Help Needed (with HP Tuners)