C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Looking into a Diablo Predator, have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking into a Diablo Predator, have Questions

I'm looking into getting a Predator for my stock 2003 6-speed 50th Anniversary Convertible. I had a performance tune in my last car (2007 Mustang GT) that used an SCT Excalibur flash tuner, so I have some familiarity with how these hook up and operate. In addition to the performance tune I mainly want to use the Predator to disable the 1-4 shift and to adjust the electric fans to kick on at a lower temperature.

I have just a few questions that I hope I can get answered here:

From what I've read here and on the forums on the Diablo site, it seems that the Predator needs to be updated via the web before it is used if it doesn't have the latest software version and/or if the car's PCM doesn't have the latest flash. The Diablo site seems to have a lot of postings where people have had difficulty getting the software updates to install. Is there some way to find out ahead of time whether the Predator will come with the right software version for my car to work right out of the box and not need updating?
I'm guessing that if the answer to the above is "no" that I'll also have to purchase the kit that will allow me to hook the Predator to my computer.
Next, based on my internet shopping I'm seeing a wide range of prices for this item. They range from $279-$369 from internet retailers, and there is one currently on fleabay with a 0 bids and a "buy it now" price of $225. All are of these Predators are part number U7198. My question is if they all have the same model number are they all the same? Should I go to one of the cheaper sources if they have it in stock and save some cash?
Last, I have a Top Down Technologies Window Valet installed on my car, which is plugged into the OBD-II port. Obviously this will have to be removed in order to program the car with the Predator. Do I need to restore the window valet settings to stock before removing the module?
Any advice I could get from the experts here would be most appreciated.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:32 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Search for a guy In this section called "06MonteSS",he is an expert with the Pred.

I've had a pred for my 02Z for about 6 mos and I like it.They have a good forum too...

http://diablosport.com/index.php?nam...BB2&file=index

As always...IMO.

\db2
Carolina
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
#1 - From what I've read here and on the forums on the Diablo site, it seems that the Predator needs to be updated via the web before it is used if it doesn't have the latest software version and/or if the car's PCM doesn't have the latest flash. The Diablo site seems to have a lot of postings where people have had difficulty getting the software updates to install. Is there some way to find out ahead of time whether the Predator will come with the right software version for my car to work right out of the box and not need updating?
I'm guessing that if the answer to the above is "no" that I'll also have to purchase the kit that will allow me to hook the Predator to my computer.

#2 - Next, based on my internet shopping I'm seeing a wide range of prices for this item. They range from $279-$369 from internet retailers, and there is one currently on fleabay with a 0 bids and a "buy it now" price of $225. All are of these Predators are part number U7198. My question is if they all have the same model number are they all the same? Should I go to one of the cheaper sources if they have it in stock and save some cash?

#3 - Last, I have a Top Down Technologies Window Valet installed on my car, which is plugged into the OBD-II port. Obviously this will have to be removed in order to program the car with the Predator. Do I need to restore the window valet settings to stock before removing the module?
Any advice I could get from the experts here would be most appreciated.
#1 - buy it band new, not used... and you can get it from marylandspeed.com for $325 - and it comes with the pc interface kit free, which you'll need in order to connect to your Windows PC so that you can download saved/recorded data logs, and import/export tune files for when you decide to get a custom tune made for your car. Plus, they also offer free shipping.

the predator will be up to date for your car... the issue you read about on the diablo forums is that peoples CAR is not... they have very old calibrations in their pcm, and need to get it updated/flashed by a GM dealer in order to update their pcm to a newer calibration before the predator will work on their car. It's not a predator issue, it's the car's pcm issue.

#2 - again, buy it new, not used. yeah, there are MANY MANY MANY people that buy them used, and once they get 'em, they find out that it's still locked to the seller's vehicle, because that person didn't want to remove their tune...

so, you'll get a used one, with no warranty, and it could be still be locked to the other persons vehicle, so you won't be able to use it on your vehicle at all... you won't know for sure until you get it... and by that time, it's too late.

so then, you'll have to pay an additional $130 to diablosport in order to get it unlocked... now, your "good deal" you got, isn't such a good deal any more... plus, if it's an older 2.xx revision model 7198, then you can't even get it unlocked by diablo over the phone, you'd have to ship it to them.

so yeah, buy it brand new, so you get the newer model of it that can save/record data logs, has newer updated tunes in it, has the full warranty for you, and from marylandspeed.com, it comes with the pc cables free, and free shipping... at $325, it's a good deal.

#3 - the window valet settings are not in the car's pcm... those settings would be in the BCM (body control module), so you shouldn't have to restore those settings at all... just need to unplug it from the obd port... also have to disable/pull fuses for anything aftermarket that's installed on the car... i.e. aftermarket stereo, alarm, remote start, satellite radio, etc etc.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
#1 - buy it band new, not used... and you can get it from marylandspeed.com for $325 - and it comes with the pc interface kit free, which you'll need in order to connect to your Windows PC so that you can download saved/recorded data logs, and import/export tune files for when you decide to get a custom tune made for your car. Plus, they also offer free shipping.

the predator will be up to date for your car... the issue you read about on the diablo forums is that peoples CAR is not... they have very old calibrations in their pcm, and need to get it updated/flashed by a GM dealer in order to update their pcm to a newer calibration before the predator will work on their car. It's not a predator issue, it's the car's pcm issue.

#2 - again, buy it new, not used. yeah, there are MANY MANY MANY people that buy them used, and once they get 'em, they find out that it's still locked to the seller's vehicle, because that person didn't want to remove their tune...

so, you'll get a used one, with no warranty, and it could be still be locked to the other persons vehicle, so you won't be able to use it on your vehicle at all... you won't know for sure until you get it... and by that time, it's too late.

so then, you'll have to pay an additional $130 to diablosport in order to get it unlocked... now, your "good deal" you got, isn't such a good deal any more... plus, if it's an older 2.xx revision model 7198, then you can't even get it unlocked by diablo over the phone, you'd have to ship it to them.

so yeah, buy it brand new, so you get the newer model of it that can save/record data logs, has newer updated tunes in it, has the full warranty for you, and from marylandspeed.com, it comes with the pc cables free, and free shipping... at $325, it's a good deal.

#3 - the window valet settings are not in the car's pcm... those settings would be in the BCM (body control module), so you shouldn't have to restore those settings at all... just need to unplug it from the obd port... also have to disable/pull fuses for anything aftermarket that's installed on the car... i.e. aftermarket stereo, alarm, remote start, satellite radio, etc etc.
I really appreciate both the response and the advice. I was hoping that you would respond. It seems that many here regard you as a valuable source of information on Predators, and for good reason. I'd much rather spend a little more upfront than get stuck with something that doesn't work, or doesn't work properly. In the end, it just isn't worth the aggravation. And the marylandspeed price of $325 is very good when the accessories and free shipping are considered.
The last question I have goes back to the PCM flash issue you mentioned in your response. I guess there is no way to know if the present flash in my pcm will be compatible with the Predator without just hooking it up and trying it?
Thanks again for your assistance!
Tom
Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

I really appreciate both the response and the advice. I was hoping that you would respond. It seems that many here regard you as a valuable source of information on Predators, and for good reason. I'd much rather spend a little more upfront than get stuck with something that doesn't work, or doesn't work properly. In the end, it just isn't worth the aggravation. And the marylandspeed price of $325 is very good when the accessories and free shipping are considered.
The last question I have goes back to the PCM flash issue you mentioned in your response. I guess there is no way to know if the present flash in my pcm will be compatible with the Predator without just hooking it up and trying it?
Thanks again for your assistance!
Tom
yeah, won't be able to really tell until you get it and try it...

unless you know someone with a scanner and can read/scan for your Calibration ID's in your pcm... the predator can and will show you these, but again, you'd have to wait until you get it...

the older calibration ID in question is: 12596660

so if your pcm has that calibration ID in it, when you go to install a tune to your car with the predator, you'll get this error message:

"12596660: part number not found in vehicle data base."

at that point, you'll know you need to get your car's pcm updated at a dealer so that you get a newer/updated calibration ID... and then the predator will work for ya.

and if you do happen to get that issue, just tell the dealer that you're experiencing a battery run-down condition and want your pcm updated. Because there is an actual TSB out for that issue and getting the dealer flash to fix that issue, will update your calibration ID to a newer one and then you'll be good to go!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
yeah, won't be able to really tell until you get it and try it...

unless you know someone with a scanner and can read/scan for your Calibration ID's in your pcm... the predator can and will show you these, but again, you'd have to wait until you get it...

the older calibration ID in question is: 12596660

so if your pcm has that calibration ID in it, when you go to install a tune to your car with the predator, you'll get this error message:

"12596660: part number not found in vehicle data base."

at that point, you'll know you need to get your car's pcm updated at a dealer so that you get a newer/updated calibration ID... and then the predator will work for ya.

and if you do happen to get that issue, just tell the dealer that you're experiencing a battery run-down condition and want your pcm updated. Because there is an actual TSB out for that issue and getting the dealer flash to fix that issue, will update your calibration ID to a newer one and then you'll be good to go!

Thanks again for the help. If I took the car to AutoZone or Advance Auto would their scanner be able to give me the calibration ID? Seems to me like I would want to know if I had this calibration, and if I did to get it updated even if I didn't plan on getting a Predator.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Default Update

Ordered the Predator from Marylandspeed.com late last week and it arrived today. Was able to load the tune, and adjust the parameters to my liking (disable CAGS and lower the temp at which the fans kick on) without a hitch.
Thanks to 06MonteSS for the good advice!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Ordered the Predator from Marylandspeed.com late last week and it arrived today. Was able to load the tune, and adjust the parameters to my liking (disable CAGS and lower the temp at which the fans kick on) without a hitch.
Thanks to 06MonteSS for the good advice!
NICE man!!!

congrats!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 AM
grecohead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan temp

what temp did you change it to? and what does this affect? also i have an '02 A4 and i swapped the dif from an '04 Z06... (2.78 - 3.42) it didnt want to shift at WOT so i had to change the shift speed and removed torgue management with my preditor. shifts fine now but i was wondering what anyone recomends i set everything to??? has anyone here done this/ familar with this?
car is lightly modded. full exhaust, CAI, 3.42 gears.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Can't help you with the TM,but on the fans I have mine set to come on @205 and off @ 200.

This works well for me because I sit in traffic sometimes 10+ min and this keeps the temps low.Get's fairly hot in the south in July.

\db2
Carolina

Get notified of new replies

To Looking into a Diablo Predator, have Questions

Quick Reply: Looking into a Diablo Predator, have Questions