C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

SD tune or stay with MAF tune for my needs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Default SD tune or stay with MAF tune for my needs?

So I will be installing an A&A SC system on my 04 coupe. Car's stick, has a stock LS1, 2000 miles on it and will be running factory manifolds. I would like to make low 500rwhp.

The tuner I'm considering using is about three hours away and is suggesting a SD tune. They will charge me the same price either way with about $80 in parts to run the SD tune.

So I live in NE ohio no big elevation changes but the temps to swing alot. We see during the summer 90's during the day and then 60's at night.

Look, my car is a weekend car/garage queen, will se an occasional quarter mile pass in street trim, no drag packs and such. I just need a good solid tune that will not require frequent visits to the tuner since they are 3 hours away.

So for my needs SD or MAF tune?

Thanks for your help,

Darion

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good speed density tune won't require tweaks because of temp changes. Remember, you'll still have both an engine temp sensor, and IAT. Dodge has never run a MAF, all their stuff is speed density. You think if speed density was so unstable an OE would use it exclusively?

PS, I would HIGHLY recommend headers. Especially with a supercharger. The biggest reason is they will help expedite the removal of combustion temps. You'll be able to run more timing with less chances of knock. much better all the way around for your motor.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 12-31-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:54 PM
0Brian@RPT
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the MAF on several A&A Superchargers with no issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
So I will be installing an A&A SC system on my 04 coupe. Car's stick, has a stock LS1, 2000 miles on it and will be running factory manifolds. I would like to make low 500rwhp.

The tuner I'm considering using is about three hours away and is suggesting a SD tune. They will charge me the same price either way with about $80 in parts to run the SD tune.

So I live in NE ohio no big elevation changes but the temps to swing alot. We see during the summer 90's during the day and then 60's at night.

Look, my car is a weekend car/garage queen, will se an occasional quarter mile pass in street trim, no drag packs and such. I just need a good solid tune that will not require frequent visits to the tuner since they are 3 hours away.

So for my needs SD or MAF tune?

Thanks for your help,

Darion

here is the deal, you will likely max the maf out with the a&a kit.... in theory you should go the SD, instead of modifying the PE table (just a commanded a/f not measured) to get the A/F where you need it.... i have done both with great success... a SD is a more exact tune, because your going to fuel the car properly for each level of air flow, with the MAF tune once you max the maf out, your just fueling with at that specific air flow level.... only issue with that is, a) if you go up and down in altitude,your AF can vary widely because the your fueling is only for that certian airflow, because the computer is not actually measuring the airflow, just going off your commanded fueling.... alot of times your "ok" with a blower car doing this.... but i definitely do not recommend a maf only tune on a turbo car (load can very too much)... if you have any more questions email me... if the tuner is willing to do the tune for the same price then by all means go with the SD tune, as long as he knows what he is doing.... the reason i stick the maf is for Smog reasons here in california, because when its in SD it will throw a Maf code which will automatically fail the smog test

Last edited by Cunningham Motorsports; 01-03-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
0Slowhawk
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much what is said above.It can be done both ways. Doing it for the same price scares me because a correct SD tune for boost takes alot longer to get perfect.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Thanks everyone for taking some time to post up on my question. At this point I have an A&A system coming and will do the install at the end of this month. I'm shopping tuners and will make a decision when I feel comfortable with the information I get. I'm not getting hung up on having one tune over the other, just that I get a good tune either way.

Thanks again for the opinions,

Darion

Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Pretty much what is said above.It can be done both ways. Doing it for the same price scares me because a correct SD tune for boost takes alot longer to get perfect.
Exactly what I was thinking. It takes (me at least) at LOT longer to dial in a SD tune. So much so, that some tuners won't even do them
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Exactly what I was thinking. It takes (me at least) at LOT longer to dial in a SD tune. So much so, that some tuners won't even do them
Thanks guys. I have heard this a few times now and asked the tuner, he said that they spend alot of time on the VE table going cell by cell which takes alot of time. I am not a tuner and have no knowledge so can't really say what that means. They also do street and dyno time for both MAF or SD so in their eyes its all a wash.

Frankly at this point I am leaning toward a MAF tune because I have a tuner about an hour away and that is what they are most comfortable with. They are LSX experianced and do a bulk of work on LSX motors. I'm going to do the install take it over to them and stand over their shoulder the whole time.

I think once I get past these steps I'm going to get HP Tuner and start to learn what tuning is all about. At least learn the basics and then move up from there. Besides cycling I don't have a ton of hobbies so I think I'll add this.

Thanks again,

Darion

Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The MAF table on the older 3.5" ones maxed out at 11,250 HZ---The newer style 4" ones ( like yours) max out at 12,000HZ
As an example my car (98) is apprx 400 RWHP using the old MAF---My eng will go all the way to 10,000 HZ so I'm ok using a MAF tune just barely--
I tuned a blown 97 with the old MAF that has apprx 430 RWHP---My data logger showed that the MAF values went above 11,250 to 11,500-- So we used a SD tune instead---But on a newer 4" MAF engine with a max of 12,000 it would have been OK--
I would guess that with 500 RWHP on an 04 you'll be over the 12,000 HZ max and a SD tune would work best---

Get notified of new replies

To SD tune or stay with MAF tune for my needs?

Quick Reply: SD tune or stay with MAF tune for my needs?