C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning Supercharged Vette for Headers Catīs and EGR removed

Old 02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
AustrianVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Supercharged Vette for Headers Catīs and EGR removed

Hi,

Iīm the owner of a speed shop in Austria.
I built a 98 Vette 6speed convertible with a Supercharger.

Itīs a intercooled (Air to water) Kenne Bell set up.
80lb/hr injectors, 90mm throttle body.....
Iīm running max. boost of 11 psi.

The car was driven last summer just for a few miles because it used to destroy the belt.
Now I put in a heavy duty tensioner.
We did further upgrades with a 2bar MAP and a 85mm MAF and a Magnaflow CAT back system.
Now I want to do the next step.

Before I take the time to make the new tune for the bigger MAF and 2bar MAP I would like to install the Headers I bought to do it at one time.

I bought Kooks Race Headers 1 7/8 tube without EGR.
And I bought Kooks 3" X pipe without CATs.

Summary:
KenneBell 11psi
big MAF
2bar MAP
Kooks Race Headers ( http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/sh...=&make=&model= )
Kooks X-Pipe
( http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=117 )
Magnaflow Cat-Back

Is there anything special to take care of when tuning for EGR and CAT removal ?
I heared that itīs not enough just to turn off the light and disenable COT. What else has to be done?
Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
AustrianVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing to take care off?
nobody?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

For the Cats, there's really nothing to do besides tune out the rear O2 sensors.
The EGR could go one of two ways, block it off and call it a day, or disable all the stuff in that system, which I believe includes the air pump and the valves going to each cylinder bank. More trouble than it's worth if you ask me. Good luck with the KB and new mods.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no EGR on a Corvette, however there is an air pump that only runs on cold startup for a short time really not worth messing with.
Why a 2 bar MAP it's a waste of money with a 98 PCM you need to upgrade to 99 or newer and go to SD tune.
This will eliminate your MAF.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:32 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
There is no EGR on a Corvette, however there is an air pump that only runs on cold startup for a short time really not worth messing with.
Why a 2 bar MAP it's a waste of money with a 98 PCM you need to upgrade to 99 or newer and go to SD tune.
This will eliminate your MAF.

NO EGR on a C5-- You do have an AIR pump though---IF you don't have smog laws there then YES just block off the AIR ports and delete the entire AIR system-On my 98 I also had to unplug the pigtail on the pump located under the dirver's side headlight as it would still randomly turn on
Your biggest issues with running a MAF tune will be the addition of the LT headers--Because of the further back than stock 02 bungs your PT fueling will become way rich--something in the 14-14.2 range--Tuning can help--
You wil have to delete or turn OFF all the diagnostic enablers to prevent codes --Those relating to the CATS--AIR -system--
Also---A 98 ECM MAF table only goes to 11250 HZ-----A newer ECM
( 99+) goes up to 12000 HZ --EVEN THOUGH you may install a larger MAF---the ECM MAF table will still limit the table readings- after you hit the limit of the table the last number you have in the table will become static and no more fuel will be added--beyond either 11250 or
12000 HZ---
Ultimately as mentiioned this would be a perfect candidate for a SPEED DENSITY MAF-LESS tune---Eliminating your worries about P/T fueling and WOT lean down--
Depends greatly on your RWHP---I have safely tuned a S/C 98 with 6 psi boost on a STOCK 98 MAF table--But the RWHP was only about 500
It was very close to 11250HZ but not over---
I would data log your engine 1st to see where it lands on the MAF table--- on a dyno--then make a decision to either: install a 99 or newer ECM with a table up to 12000HZ or go to a SD tune----

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning Supercharged Vette for Headers Catīs and EGR removed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning Supercharged Vette for Headers Catīs and EGR removed