C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Pay for a dyno tune or get HP Tuners myself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pay for a dyno tune or get HP Tuners myself?

$350 for a dyno tune with HP tuners

Or I can buy the $349 HP tuners and do the tuning myself, but Im not sure which one to do?

If I got HP tuners I could reprogram as much as I want and view whats going on in the car when I want right?

But with him dyno tuning I know he's got the best of the best and all the packages HP Tuners offers plus he has done several corvettes with good results
Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 PM
SLVRCPE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done any tuning before? I suggest you poke around the HPtuners forum and look at the demo's, etc. If you purchase HPtuners expecting to be great from the get go, you will be disapointed.

If you still decided to go this route go ahead and get the Pro package. This allows you to have several other inputs as well as recording without your laptop.

Last.. I bought HPtuners and have been using it for a long time. I still do not consider myself a good tuner. However, I like to know what is going on with my car and the ability to make small changes all the time. The tune I run at the track is not the same as the one I run for cruising in summer texas heat.

At the end of the day you have to decided if 1) you trust the tuner you are considering to be safe with your car, and 2) Do you have the time it will take to fully understand how, and what you are doing if you buy the SW.
Take care, and good luck!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:24 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get HPTuners and read up. There are plenty of guys on here and the HP Tuners website that will tell you what you need to tweak to get a little more power and probably even a little more.

For me, I went with Diablosport and got a custom tune, and then went to the dyno...but I think I pretty much wasted my money. They made tweaks here and there, but the thing never really felt 100% right. If you do decide to go with them and get a custom tune, make sure you have them tell you EXACTLY what has been changed each time they make a change. Don't accept none of this "ok, I made a tweak...try this" business. Get the details.

IMO, HPTuners are for the ultimate tuning enthusiasts who want to have total control of everything and not depend on someone else to make tweaks. Read up, learn and DIY. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by SVT_Z06; 05-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I totally trust the tuner he has done plenty of vettes and from what I hear in my area he is the go to guy.
Ill do some reading up on HP tuners but I feel I dont need to plunk down money to get PRO because its probably more than what Im wanting
Old 05-23-2011, 03:46 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You'll need at the very least a wideband with HP Tuners to tune the car. $650 for the HP Tuners Pro (you may be able to get away with std @ $499) + ~$200 wideband = $850 spent.

The upside is you'll be able to tune your car as needed watching knock, see what tuners have changed, and have restore points to go back if there is an issue. It can also help you diag the car when there are issues.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra
Well I totally trust the tuner he has done plenty of vettes and from what I hear in my area he is the go to guy.
Ill do some reading up on HP tuners but I feel I dont need to plunk down money to get PRO because its probably more than what Im wanting
That's cool.

You can always upgrade to PRO when you feel you are ready.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra
Ask as many people as possible about the tuner. I am still amazed at the people on the forums that praise a "tuner" that dosesn't do much more than tune spark and PE tables. VERY few" home town" tuners take time to get VE and MAF tables right

If you buy, you need pro. It allows you to log a wideband when datalogging. WOT HAS TO have a wideband

Think about it long and hard. Unless you are constanly modding (major mods) the software is a waste of money. Mine sat around for a year or so before I paid to take the school and began to be able to use it.
A simple street/dyno tune may be the way to go
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
hobbesnmina2001
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12,'14

A good tuner is worth it if you want a performance encrease in the very short term. However any substantial change you make in the future needs a new appointment so you need to balance that with the higher cost of good tuning equipment and the learning curve involved. I chose HP Tuners and yes it takes a while and sometimes I might want to pull a few of my hairs! LOL
However in the long run the satisfaction of learning what I have and seeing the improvements is more then worth the work and costs involved.
Do you enjoy learning? Do you like to understand why something is done? Are you willing to put in time into reading and learning something new?
Thats what you need to balance with the cost of a good tuner and someof those tuners are not that good, but the good ones can be amazing! Also realize that with the pro you get enough credits to tune not just your Vette but 3 NA cars!
BTW once you have HP Tuners and a WB with logging the road can be your dyno!

Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Pay for a dyno tune or get HP Tuners myself?

Quick Reply: Pay for a dyno tune or get HP Tuners myself?