C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mother of all electrical issuses! (13 codes)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Mineral_'01
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mother of all electrical issuses! (13 codes)

Ok guys,
I am a new '98 c5 owner and ever since the second day of ownership, I've been plagued with check engine, ABS, and traction traction lights. Today I just learned I can pull up DTC's on the insrtument panel.
I go to school full time for automotive technology and diagnosis so am somewhat educated on how automotive electrical systems work and can be repaired.
These are the codes I pulled up:

P0134- Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0154- Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1

Now so far with these set of codes, I found the #15 mini fuse was blown for o2 sensor circuit. I replaced the fuse, hit the ignition and the fuse blew again. Next, I got up under the car, inspected the wiring and unhooked both front o2 sensors connectors (the rear o2 sensors have been deleted by previous owner) replaced the fuse again, hit the ignition and the fuse remained good. That told me that the harness from the PCM to the o2 sensor connectors ( GM 4 pin flat type) was NOT shorted to ground. I then hooked up just the bank 2 connector, hit the ignition and the fuse blew.
Some other notes:
The vehicle has longtube headers and some of the o2 sensor harness had melted against the headers and was repaired with new connectors and new wire extensions and butt connectors.
Is it posible the previous owners repairs mixed up the wires from the harness to the o2 connectors and is shorting to ground that way? Or is it posible the o2 sensors themselves have been damaged and the heater circuits are shorting to ground?
This is as far as I got today with just two of the 13 codes. The others are as follows:

PCM
P1545- A/C Clutch Relay Control Circuit
P1571- ASR Desired Torque

TCS
C1225- RF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation
C1234- LR Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted
C1235- RR Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted
C1255- EBTCM Internal Malfunction
C1281- Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction
C1286- Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction
C1288-

IPC
B0516- Speedometer Signal Circuit Malfunction

HVAC
B0333- Outside Air Temp Sensor Open

Anyone with any experience with these codes would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Mineral_'01; 09-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 AM
maominas
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 AM
DJJONESIVS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your going to school for automotive technology

Then look up each individual code in all data
Follow the flow chart to diag each

I would start by checking for voltage at the sensors
Then ground / continuity
Then work your way back
To the fuse box and PCM

Alot of work but somewhere along the line you'll find either it's the sensor it self
Harness and worst case the PCM if it ground their
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd ck all the grounds and battery connections 1st.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
STLSPARKY
Racer

This is not specific to your issue but is a must read on common electrical issues https://www.corvetteforum.com/c5-tec...tion-long.html
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Ole Blaster
Pro

Originally Posted by STLSPARKY
This is not specific to your issue but is a must read on common electrical issues https://www.corvetteforum.com/c5-tec...tion-long.html
I tried and it came up " page not found "
Old 10-07-2011, 04:06 PM
STLSPARKY
Racer

Try this link, Bill Curlee is the resident electrical genius, thanks for all the helpful posts Bill.
Almost any questions u will eventually have can be found by using the forums search function. This site is a great resource to say the least. Another good newbie(me included) thread to read is the "low cost DIY" both of these threads are stickies in the tech section
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Ole Blaster
Pro

Originally Posted by STLSPARKY
Try this link, Bill Curlee is the resident electrical genius, thanks for all the helpful posts Bill.
Almost any questions u will eventually have can be found by using the forums search function. This site is a great resource to say the least. Another good newbie(me included) thread to read is the "low cost DIY" both of these threads are stickies in the tech section
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html
The "Wizard" If Bill Curlee can't help you,, then your in major trouble...I was checking the thread and came up on a blank page, Thanx for the help.. Hope "Mineral 01" can fix his codes....

Last edited by Ole Blaster; 10-07-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot name

Get notified of new replies

To Mother of all electrical issuses! (13 codes)

Quick Reply: Mother of all electrical issuses! (13 codes)