C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

p0480 code help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
thefasteddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0480 code help needed!

ok so i have never owned a GM car and starting looking at a vette to buy, here is some info about it.

it is a 2000 c5 convertible, 11,000 miles, garage queen, hud black on black lowered on coilovers (make unknown) headers and exhaust, procharged p1sc with intercoolers installed on stock motor. has "icon" custom wheels, (looked them up, 6,000$ for the set) 20x345 in the rear and i think 18" in the front. mini tubbed also for the wider wheel. very clean car, well done, not junk at all.

it has a check engine light on with a active and stored code p0480 as far as i know the supercharger has the stock tune that comes with the kit.

any idea's on if this is common and what it may take to fix? i saw google says it's a low speed cooling fan relay
Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM
lonnyh
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am involved with a similar problem right now. I had my 2011 GS tuned for a 160 thermostat, A6 tuned, Vararam CAI, and Booster. After a few days the ECM throws the P0480 code (nightmare begins). After confirming I didnt have a cooling or themostat problem, I take it to an auto parts store with a scanner and find a P0480 means "fan circuit bad". Unfortunately that can mean anything from the ECM all the way to the fan motor. Now, if your fan is running, your case will be different from mine, however, I am now waiting for a new ECM to help find the fault that is keeping my fan from turning on. If your fan is not running, you need to insure it is not burned up (wire it straight to 12 volts). Also check the fuse and wiring..If all that seems ok, I would have the owner, if you havent bought it yet,(and the fan does not come on), take it to someone with a GM Tech 2 scanner(a scanner that can send commands) and have them try to command the fan to run. That helps confirm the hardware is not at fault..Good Luck

Last edited by lonnyh; 03-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 PM
thefasteddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i hope it's not the ecm. thank you
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
lonnyh
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thefasteddy
man i hope it's not the ecm. thank you
It probably isn't the ECM (in your case), there comes a point in the troubleshooting where everything seems good so in this case the person that tuned it can get one (ECM) easily. Most of the time with these kind of fan problems it is a wire that has gone bad, if the fan is programmed to run at 100% a wire could burn up, GM programs them to run at 50%. There is also a Fan Control Module in the circuit, again hardly ever the fault, I replaced mine and it was not the problem.
hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To p0480 code help needed!

Quick Reply: p0480 code help needed!