C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

My Tune Sux Now What Do I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default My Tune Sux Now What Do I Do?

02 coupe. All the bolt ons Nice headers (by?) no ud pulley. stock tune ? as bought. Added 3.42 (A4). Knew i shoulda went 3.73 cause was not that impressed in difference from 3.15..
Wanted LOPE from day one. Deep, throaty, rumbling lope from already great sounding full exh w/ corsa extreme i believe.

Pulled trigger on 228r cam as street mannered cam option.
Went to reputable shop local (No i wont say who) Vette/GM aces.
They have stingy dyno and tell you that in printout & say add 10% to HP/TQ reading. ok i can do math but my 1st impression was still a 361 rwhp car. Has idle issues, ac/ garage shift idle issues, major decell (table) issues, and all in all just didnt feel a 40 +/- hp increase in my seat after all said & done. They took great pride in reducing the lope cause they said the thing idled so violently it would shake the car at a stop light. GOOD! thats why i bought a cam. I work at a Honda dealer (see rice crap daily) & have a 11k mile NCRS Mcllean 82 that idles perfect & smooth. Wanted my 2002 toy to kick azz, not be tame.

I'm a mechanic not an orthodontist so finding another
$450/whatever to drop on tune is dooable eventually but not appealing.

I do have 243's on a shelf to drop in prior to next tune, thats the only bright spot in the re-tune scenario.
Maybe the whole intention of this post was just to have a place to vent to Corvette lovers afterall.

Its a nice ride in conclusion, and does have more than enough power to get me in trouble, 60-120 mph pulls in the powerband are quite impressive ( @ VIR of course ) but i just expected more after all I have read over the years........oh well.

Thanks for listening & sorry if too long.

ok chuck/edcmat here's your sign...)

2nd edit: Assuming orig tune was stock (shop says), the 1st ownr said car was tuned by same shop & he had no reason to lie to me. So ???wtf. After cam install & prior to tune SOTP tole me car was way more torquier. had more *****. less difference in low end pull while rising rpms waiting for the powerband to kick in. 15-3200 +/- rpm feels like it lugs/rich/ dead spot. Thats a 1700 rpm +/- "dead" spot.

Maybe more than 1 lap around the block for the street tune portion would have addressed some of these issues? oh wide open shift points just hit the rev limiter too. 98% throttle ok though. They forgot that whole table i guess.

Last edited by cvm; 07-04-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: paragraphs.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

a 228R will not lope the car so violently that it has to be messed with unless it has a very low LSA. The 228R is the cam people usually get for good idle quality and street manners. For example, Lashway Motorsports is putting a 228R on a 114 LSA +2 and they say it will be barely noticeable.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have the 228R in my Corvette. You'll notice it
click the picture

www.TampaTuning.com
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
cvm
Pro

Originally Posted by baxsom
a 228R will not lope the car so violently that it has to be messed with unless it has a very low LSA. The 228R is the cam people usually get for good idle quality and street manners. For example, Lashway Motorsports is putting a 228R on a 114 LSA +2 and they say it will be barely noticeable.
TSP 228r 114 lsa. I had no complaints with lope prior to tune. It was just enough to know it was there. However as the PCM has adapted to what they did, it's like a little more lope sound has come back @ idle, best in N / P, while driveability has decreased.
Thanx
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
cvm
Pro

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
I have the 228R in my Corvette. You'll notice it
click the picture

www.TampaTuning.com
I was hoping for your input as an experienced tuner (w/ great reviews as i've read) to be feedback towards my tune experience. Maybe i'm expecting something unrealistic out of my tune.??

Your car sounds sweet & I heard dozens of idle clips prior to purchase.
Thanx
Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default race car corvette GTO Camaro CTS GM Truck tuner in Tampa Orlando

race car corvette GTO Camaro CTS GM Truck tuner in Tampa Orlando
you didnt give me much to work with.

If your in the Tampa Orlando area, Ill tune the car right for you
www.TampaTuning.com
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 AM
cvm
Pro

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
race car corvette GTO Camaro CTS GM Truck tuner in Tampa Orlando
you didnt give me much to work with.

If your in the Tampa Orlando area, Ill tune the car right for you
www.TampaTuning.com
If closer I would love to have the opportunity for you to do that!
Thanx
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Can you not take it back and have it tweaked and straightened out? Many of the tuners that I know aren't interested in leaving you hanging with issues like that. Sadly, many don't care as long as they get paid. Do you have HPtuners?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
cvm
Pro

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Can you not take it back and have it tweaked and straightened out? Many of the tuners that I know aren't interested in leaving you hanging with issues like that. Sadly, many don't care as long as they get paid. Do you have HPtuners?
Yes I could return and I believe them to be the type to want to make it right. Driveability seems pretty far from that however, so why'd they let it go? I may return. You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression and it just rained on my cam parade.

Work w/ a guy whos good w/ HP tuners (9 sec LS1 in stang body) whos itchin to straighten out my car & would prob invest a lot more seat time in a street tune.

Thanx
Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Any time you install a larger duration cam (even a 228) which is just above the middle range-- you move the usable TQ and HP range UP higher in the RPM band--Your stock cam most likely made MORE TQ in the 1500 - 3200 RPM range than the 228 !!--361 is not bad at all for a mild cammed /stock LS1 headed engine with an A4---
The stock stall on your converter is a low 1400-1600--where the stock cam makes great TQ--However with the 228 the power band in now above that -more like in the 2700 range before it starts climbing rapidly ---Also the stock cam makes peak TQ around 4500 and peak HP around 5900-----The 228 should make peak TQ now around 4800 and peak HP around 6200---
What most people do is install a mild stall converter to get above that flat area in the range you speak of (1700-3200)--hence the huge market for higher stall converters--
Quick example of how a stall works--when you floor it with a stock stall--the converter slips up to the 1400 range then goes 1-1-
At 1400 your stock engine may only make 75 HP at launch--And the 228 maybe even less--Correspondingly at say 3000 the stock cam may make 150 HP and the 228 again less--Same goes for the TQ---
BUT if you add a very streetable 3000 converter--when you launch---the converter will slip up tp 3000 and then go 1:1---BUT NOW at launch the engine is now making 300 HP rather than 150 basically doubling both your HP and TQ from a launch !! It really wakes it up !!!---
A stall converter is the BEST mod you can make on any automatic car (IMHO)
As far as the tuning goes --the HP to me seems in line however the driveability issues need work--It is quite common for tuners to have to make a couple adjustments to get " any modded especially cammed engine "dead on" Its just the nayure of computer tuning as changes take time to "learn out" and it takes at least 50-75 miles of driving for the learning to work thu--You can't fix issues before the learning is done otherwise you'll be consantly be chaisng your tail---

Get notified of new replies

To My Tune Sux Now What Do I Do?

Quick Reply: My Tune Sux Now What Do I Do?