C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Code P1416 Air System Bank 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code P1416 Air System Bank 2

Will someone better explain what this means? (P1416 Air System Bank 2
Can't really tell anything is wrong with the car?(maybe a little fuel surging at times?)
Also, just so happened to get the code,at the same time I added Lucas Fuel Stabilizer / upper cylinder cleaner,to the full fuel tank. Lucas Co.,assured me it was safe and recommended I use it!
Please tell me it was just a coincidence,and that Lucas is perfectly safe for my 97 C5???
The Lucas Co.,also recommends I use their Synthetic Oil Stablizer at every oil change. THey claim it will double the miles I get out of my engine? Anyone know this to be fact?
Thanks a buch!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Without looking it up sounds like there is an issue with the air pump system on the passenger side of the engine, usually has to do with one of the "check valve" things (whatever there called). Not a big deal really.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 PM
rmata
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you determine your air system to be at fault, I have my complete system I could sell you. It might just be something simple with it though.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Thanks for the replys!
I also wanted to throw this at you just incase?
>>>> I just got thru installing HID lights, and during the process,due to disconecting the neg terminal of the batt alot of times, I had a problem with the A/C unit(which I fixed thanks to you guys on this forum,by simply removing and replacing 2 fuses)>>> Anyway, just wandering if disconecting the batt could have messed with something else here??? Just a thought?>>>> ALso wanted to mention that I cleaned some of the grounds under the hood(incase that could have anything to do with it???) But I have already erased the code and it just came back.....Just seems like everytime I touch something on this car it throws another code or has another problem!!!>>>>>>>>> Thanks again!>>>>>
Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you think this code being thrown could cause maybe an exhaust leak in the cabin through the vents? I just got this code. Wondering if I replace whatever is broken it might fix it? I have Long tube headers and no cats. Never had the exhaust in cabin problem for the first year or so when I had it installed.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Default code p1416

Since the exhaust in the cabin has been mentioned, here is a update on my problem.
Now while sitting still in idle or slow rolling(not pressing gas pedal),she almost goes dead,running/idleing,very bad now.
But when out on the hwy,running her hard, like i usually do, she runs great---- except one time after getting on her pretty hard, i smelled exhaust in the cabin bad.
So, does anyone know what can only cause a problem while in idle?
Doesn't miss a beat when racing someone.
Please help.
thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Do you think this code being thrown could cause maybe an exhaust leak in the cabin through the vents? I just got this code. Wondering if I replace whatever is broken it might fix it? I have Long tube headers and no cats. Never had the exhaust in cabin problem for the first year or so when I had it installed.
Since the exhaust in the cabin has been mentioned, here is a update on my problem.
Now while sitting still in idle or slow rolling(not pressing gas pedal),she almost goes dead,running/idleing,very bad now.
But when out on the hwy,running her hard, like i usually do, she runs great---- except one time after getting on her pretty hard, i smelled exhaust in the cabin bad.
So, does anyone know what can only cause a problem while in idle?
Doesn't miss a beat when racing someone.
Please help.
thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

here is a link to another posting about the p1416 problem. It just popped up on mine. My research has led me to read many threads on this subject. Look for the link to Bill Curlees fix for the problem, albeit, it may be a temporary fix at best. The real fix can be done via a video listed showing the valve being placed on the passenger side of the engine with some creative hose routing. Now, for the purist, the bad news is, the valve you need to replace is bolted to THE BACK OF THE ENGINE. No good news here. The intake will probably need to be removed. There's always one owner DIY'er that maybe didn't have to remove the intake so judge for yourself. Try the Bill Curlee fix first. That's what I'm going to do. Then, I'll decide to try the alternate fix which seems easily doable, but then I may just try to fix it the right way. The GM engineers who thought to put this valve where they did certainly didn't have their thinking caps on. The got the driver's side exactly right and then hosed us on the passenger side. I'm sure they had their reasons but to me, they blew it.............and blew it badly. My .02 and keep the change.

Here's the link................read it all...........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...1416-code.html
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Just an update.....I did Bill Curlee's suggestion and so far, no check engine light. I know the problem may just have a band aid put on it but for those that need a quick fix for emissions or maybe until funds are available, I would at least give the cleaning with throttle body and WD40 a shot. For a few bucks it may be all you need to get by for bit.

Thanks to Bill Curlee and his offerings on the forum. He contributes a lot.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsphoto2
Will someone better explain what this means? (P1416 Air System Bank 2
Can't really tell anything is wrong with the car?(maybe a little fuel surging at times?)
Also, just so happened to get the code,at the same time I added Lucas Fuel Stabilizer
Ok so i am really sorry for digging up an old thread but my vette just threw the same code about 20-30 mins after adding lucas to the gas will the problem go away after the lucas is burned through? Is there an idea on this?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 PM
scottsphoto2
Instructor

Default p1416

Originally Posted by John Madeja
Ok so i am really sorry for digging up an old thread but my vette just threw the same code about 20-30 mins after adding lucas to the gas will the problem go away after the lucas is burned through? Is there an idea on this?
Ok, this is crazy!
Let me see if I can explain this enough to help here?
>>>>I was told by Lucus Co., and my vette mechanic, that it had nothing to do with the lucas, but mine just like yours threw the code right after putting it in the tank.
But also just after that, she starting spittin-n-sputtering while idling, but continued to run good at WOT.
Ok, so I could not get to the bottom of it so I took it to the shop. He had to keep it for days, before he could find the problem.
Turned out that just like my luck usually goes, I had broken a rear mount, which was causing the air intake duct, to jump off of the mass MAF, then when we would inspect it, it would be back into position. So it was hard to catch it when it was leaking.
Also had to replace a o2 sensor, so $700 later I was good to go, but still had the p1416 code, which he said was a check valve on the pass side. He said it would not hurt anything, and that it was expensive to fix because on that side it is behind the engine.
Now if you want the code out of your face, there is a great video and instructions on here somewhere and I think on yt, of how to do it for real cheap and easy by yourself.
As for the Lucas? I surely thought it had something to do with it, but the pro's all agreed it did not, so it was just a big fat, my kinda luck, coincidence!>>>> I now am adding 4oz to every tank full of 94 octane, and she runs great, and gets 3 more mpg and I guarantee you my fuel system is thanking me for it!! I also, use Lucas synthetic oil stabil, to every oil change! NOTE: anyone can say what they want, but I believe in Lucas products, because they have proved in my truck with 260,000 miles and never been inside the block, and uses no oil to date! At 150,000 miles, (before I started adding Lucas to the oil) my 97 F-150 was burning a qt. every oil change, after 2 changes, and ever since, notta!!!!!!!!!1 drop! So anyway, I hope I get just as many miles out of my 97 vette, as i have with my truck!
Goodluck, hope this helped, and let me know what you find out on your end!

Last edited by scottsphoto2; 03-19-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottsphoto2

Ok, this is crazy!
Let me see if I can explain this enough to help here?
>>>>I was told by Lucus Co., and my vette mechanic, that it had nothing to do with the lucas, but mine just like yours threw the code right after putting it in the tank.
But also just after that, she starting spittin-n-sputtering while idling, but continued to run good at WOT.
Ok, so I could not get to the bottom of it so I took it to the shop. He had to keep it for days, before he could find the problem.
Turned out that just like my luck usually goes, I had broken a rear mount, which was causing the air intake duct, to jump off of the mass MAF, then when we would inspect it, it would be back into position. So it was hard to catch it when it was leaking.
Also had to replace a o2 sensor, so $700 later I was good to go, but still had the p1416 code, which he said was a check valve on the pass side. He said it would not hurt anything, and that it was expensive to fix because on that side it is behind the engine.
Now if you want the code out of your face, there is a great video and instructions on here somewhere and I think on yt, of how to do it for real cheap and easy by yourself.
As for the Lucas? I surely thought it had something to do with it, but the pro's all agreed it did not, so it was just a big fat, my kinda luck, coincidence!>>>> I now am adding 4oz to every take full of 94 octane, and she runs great, and gets 3mpg! I also, use Lucas synthetic oil stabil, to every oil change! NOTE: anyone can say what they want, but I believe in Lucas products, because they have proved in my truck with 260,000 miles and never been inside the block, and uses no oil to date!
Goodluck, hope this helped, and let me know what you find out on your end!
I love lucas and believe in it just seemed weird that we both got the code right after we put it in....

And nothing is wrong with my vette like your rear mount after the code went away it hasnt come back on so i cleared the history in manual diagnostics and am waiting to see if it comes back on or not....

Get notified of new replies

To Code P1416 Air System Bank 2

Quick Reply: Code P1416 Air System Bank 2