C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

LSX Tune in Charleston, SC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default LSX Tune in Charleston, SC

Had my 01 roadster computer tuned on the road by LSX. JP met me at my house. It made a huge difference in low end rsponse and SOTP feel. Had him tune out the AIR system light. Also had him up the shift firmness a little. It smells a little rich at startup, but the pipes are burning nice and clean and the car is soooo great to drive now. The MAM cat back is noticeably louder and racier sounding. Idle is up about 50 RPM which seems to have improved the exhaust note.. We drove for over an hour as he adjusted on it with his laptop plugged into the OBD port.. Very happy with the result. Was $295, and he will adjust it as I wish at no added charge, as he has it stored and the vehicle license is paid for. He does a lot of tunes on new performance cars at delivery at Hendrick Chev here in Chas and came recommended by our local Vette independent guru. So far, couldn't be happier.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Blk_'01_Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity, who is your local vette guru (if you don't mind sharing)? I'm in Walterboro, and the pickings for LS shops/tuners is slim in the Lowcountry.

I am getting a dyno run done Thursday with Jeff @ HHP Racing on my 01 Z to get a baseline before the mods really get started. I will probably wait to get it tuned until I get a chance to install the headers/exhaust/CAI combo I am in the process of purchasing.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default The local Corvette Club guys

and I always refer to :

Richard's Corvette in Moncks Corner. He is a real nice, great guy. He drives a Vette and knows our cars. He has saved me a fortune by giving me a lot of free information and how to advice rather than having him do it.

Insofar as HPP, Richard referred me to LSX Tuning and Performance , JP Williams @843-608-8579. He does all of Richard's tune work and my contacts at Hendrick swear by his tunes. Richard does more wrenching. JP put it on the computer under real driving conditions with me driving and him tuning, and I could not be more pleased. He was quick to tell me that HP and and torque would not show a lot of gains, but that driveability and response would really be noticeable, and they sure are. My car is almost stock with only the Blackwing intake and MAM catbacks. Since he tuned it, it is not the same car. I, frankly, was amazed at the difference. It drives and shifts so much better and mileage is up a little. I thought my '71 350/350 was quick, but the 01 350/350 now seriously outperforms it in fun to drive terms. The car has more than this old guy can use.

I don't want to dis HPP, but I have heard mixed reviews. I didn't want a dyno, as I don't care about knowing the HP and torque outputs, so I ended up cancelling my HPP appointment in favor of the LSX tune.

Hope this helps. Feel free to keep in touch, as I'm retired and have time to hang out. Would love to see that Z. Mine has only 18 K on it. Thinking of selling and looking for a a good used C6 convertible. Trouble is, this is a real sweet car and near perfect, and I will have trouble parting with it.

Last edited by David Shiel; 11-05-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spell and add
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Blk_'01_Z06
Intermediate

This helps a lot. I've asked around a little bit, and all I keep hearing is things like "Well, I've heard so-and-so does good work" or "So-and-so is terrible, I've got a friend who won't ever go back." No personal experience, just hearsay.

I'm a numbers freak, so I feel like I want to get the baseline numbers down, even though I know in the end all they are is numbers.

Currently all I am running is a Vortex Ram Air intake kit, but I'm swapping that one out in the next couple of months to add the Vararam kit. Other than that, the car appears to be stock, and the Vortex is the only upgrade I have found in the 2 months I have owned it.

Mine is a little higher mileage, about 117K. It needs a lot of work done, I've already got a full set of fluids ready, from coolant to differential, and a new set of plugs and wires on the way.

Once I get that basic stuff done, I'll give JP a call, see if he can set me up with a good stock tune before I get going with the headers/exhaust/cam/heads/TB upgrades
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default U have some neat plans for it

I think JP could lay a good tune on it once all those mods are on. I was pleasantly surprised at the comprehensiveness of his read outs. I had thought about getting a hand held tuner, but probably would have screwed it up, whereas he knew exactly where to go. My AIR was throwing a code so he tuned it out, as it is of no value to the car's performance. Decided to leave the pump in place rather than remove it. The code was for the valve that is a biotch to access, so tuning it out was the best solution. The change in the A4 shift firmness is really great, but he cautioned against going to far with that so as to prolong tranny life. 117K is not bad for an 01. I see here on the forum units with 300K still going strong. Mine had 13K on it when I got it last year and I changed out all the fluids including the brake and power steering fluids. I love working on it. I also changed out the original tires for non run flats. Rides one heck of a lot better and seems to handle the same. Put a pump and plug kit in the trunk incase of a flat.
Later,
Dave
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
RE-ENTRY
Racer

I always thought most everyone in the low country was going to Columbia for B&B Corvette (803-409-9600) to tune their car. They've been around longer than anyone else. A bunch of us up north have gone down to Columbia for Mike to tune our cars.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default I am very happy

with the local LSX tune by JP. And, when Richard's Corvette recommends a vendor, it is hard to go wrong. So, I didn't need to go to Cola. Then, mine is stock except for Blackwing and exhaust. The tune made a huge difference in off the line response and shifting and got rid of the AIR code. Perhaps, if I were running some big *$$ modded engine, and even cared to know Hp and torque numbers, I would want a dyno, but I just wanted to perk it up a bit, and that was accomplished.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 AM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blk_'01_Z06
Just out of curiosity, who is your local vette guru (if you don't mind sharing)? I'm in Walterboro, and the pickings for LS shops/tuners is slim in the Lowcountry.

I am getting a dyno run done Thursday with Jeff @ HHP Racing on my 01 Z to get a baseline before the mods really get started. I will probably wait to get it tuned until I get a chance to install the headers/exhaust/CAI combo I am in the process of purchasing.
HHP is no longer in business

Originally Posted by RE-ENTRY
I always thought most everyone in the low country was going to Columbia for B&B Corvette (803-409-9600) to tune their car. They've been around longer than anyone else. A bunch of us up north have gone down to Columbia for Mike to tune our cars.
Hardly anyone goes from the low country to him for tunes.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Little confused

Originally Posted by minytrker
HHP is no longer in business

Hardly anyone goes from the low country to him for tunes.
Who is "him" that almost no one in low country goes to?

When did HHP which I am told was a part time operation behind Jaimeson Corvette on Ashley Phosphate close in Charleston? I had cancelled an appt. there some months back.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Blk_'01_Z06
Intermediate

I think the him he is referring to is Mike @ B & B in Columbia.

As far as HHP, I think their shop was bought out literally the week before I had an appointment with them. I emailed them to cancel, and never heard anything back.

I had to make a trip to Brevard, NC for a long weekend, and stopped off in Greenville, SC for a baseline dyno test at JR Racing. Josh is a great guy, he gave me a lot of tips while we were cooling the intake off between pulls.

A tuning company named V8muscle.net uses JR's shop for some of their tunes, and I talked to Jeff @ V8muscle a few times in the last couple of weeks. They seem to have a great reputation in the area (at least three local shops use only them for tuning), and I will be taking my Z to him in a few months once I get H/E installed and switch CAI's.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
minytrker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David Shiel
Who is "him" that almost no one in low country goes to?

When did HHP which I am told was a part time operation behind Jaimeson Corvette on Ashley Phosphate close in Charleston? I had cancelled an appt. there some months back.
Mike..

On dont know the date when HHP was bought out. A new shop Redline Performance is there now and JP does their tuning.

Originally Posted by Blk_'01_Z06
I think the him he is referring to is Mike @ B & B in Columbia.

As far as HHP, I think their shop was bought out literally the week before I had an appointment with them. I emailed them to cancel, and never heard anything back.

I had to make a trip to Brevard, NC for a long weekend, and stopped off in Greenville, SC for a baseline dyno test at JR Racing. Josh is a great guy, he gave me a lot of tips while we were cooling the intake off between pulls.

A tuning company named V8muscle.net uses JR's shop for some of their tunes, and I talked to Jeff @ V8muscle a few times in the last couple of weeks. They seem to have a great reputation in the area (at least three local shops use only them for tuning), and I will be taking my Z to him in a few months once I get H/E installed and switch CAI's.
Yes HHP was bought out, new owners and new tuner. Its Redline now, still in same location.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:54 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
Mike..

On dont know the date when HHP was bought out. A new shop Redline Performance is there now and JP does their tuning.

Yes HHP was bought out, new owners and new tuner. Its Redline now, still in same location.
... and now Redline Performance is closed. Thx for posting info re Richards shop. Is it open full or part time?

Get notified of new replies

To LSX Tune in Charleston, SC

Quick Reply: LSX Tune in Charleston, SC