C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Vacuum leak

Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 PM
dkulsy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum leak

If there was a possibility of a vacuum leak, how would you look - spray some kind of cleaner or?
thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yes ---at idle spray some Brake-clean around all the hoses and connections--on the T-Body where it meets the manifold---Brake clean wil make the engine want to DIE or STUMBLE if there is a vacuuum leak-- OR you can use starting fluid but the engine RPM's will flare up if there is a leak--
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM
superjet701k
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
Yes ---at idle spray some Brake-clean around all the hoses and connections--on the T-Body where it meets the manifold---Brake clean wil make the engine want to DIE or STUMBLE if there is a vacuuum leak-- OR you can use starting fluid but the engine RPM's will flare up if there is a leak--
Carefull if you have a shorted out spark plug wire starting fluid will make a big fireball. It killed my neighbor 15 years ago. He inhaled the fireball.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by superjet701k
Carefull if you have a shorted out spark plug wire starting fluid will make a big fireball. It killed my neighbor 15 years ago. He inhaled the fireball.
Wow--so sorry to hear
starting fluid would be extremly dangerous to use --be careful--WD 40 or something not so flamable would be best to create a stumble/dieing--Brakeclean is more flamable but not as much as starting fluid--
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Ronnie_W
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dkulsy
If there was a possibility of a vacuum leak, how would you look - spray some kind of cleaner or?
thanks
I just found my leak by attaching compressed air to one of the vac hoses. You need to be able to keep the pressure down so you don''t blow off any of the hoses. The leak was easy to find by listening to the air escapine. Of course you do this with the engine off.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie_W
I just found my leak by attaching compressed air to one of the vac hoses. You need to be able to keep the pressure down so you don''t blow off any of the hoses. The leak was easy to find by listening to the air escapine. Of course you do this with the engine off.
very smart idea!

Get notified of new replies

To Vacuum leak

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum leak