C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Low RPM, Low Load Ping--No Knock Retard

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low RPM, Low Load Ping--No Knock Retard

I have some audible ping at low RPM's between 1200-1800 RPM and low load .16 - .36 g/cyl, but it is not showing up as knock retard. I have retarded the timing in those areas pretty significantly to around 20 degrees and it is better, but am still getting some audible ping (again nothing on knock sensors).

It doesn't seem to make sense to retard timing much more. Just wondering if others have experienced this. (LS1 Texas Speed 5.3 heads (10.95 to 1 compression), 93 Octane, 224R 114 LSA Cam, LG Street Headers and Blackwing intake).
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rcwilbur
I have some audible ping at low RPM's between 1200-1800 RPM and low load .16 - .36 g/cyl, but it is not showing up as knock retard. I have retarded the timing in those areas pretty significantly to around 20 degrees and it is better, but am still getting some audible ping (again nothing on knock sensors).

It doesn't seem to make sense to retard timing much more. Just wondering if others have experienced this. (LS1 Texas Speed 5.3 heads (10.95 to 1 compression), 93 Octane, 224R 114 LSA Cam, LG Street Headers and Blackwing intake).
I forgot to mention that it only happens in 5th and 6th gears when cruising at highway speeds. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM
auctiondepot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the issue is acceleration enrichment, sometimes Tip In.

Knowing what it is and how to fix it is the problem.

Getting an answer to this question will be difficult.

this can be an issue with Injector Flow Rate or the VE table. It would have been nice for GM to use a throttle and MAP acceleration table, but they have a better more obscure means which few know about and if they do, well you can see by all the response.

Sorry I cant answer the question.
sometime going into PE at say, just above 85mph cruise, 25% throttle will help but I don't think this is proper,
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM
rcwilbur
Intermediate

Originally Posted by auctiondepot
the issue is acceleration enrichment, sometimes Tip In.

Knowing what it is and how to fix it is the problem.

Getting an answer to this question will be difficult.

this can be an issue with Injector Flow Rate or the VE table. It would have been nice for GM to use a throttle and MAP acceleration table, but they have a better more obscure means which few know about and if they do, well you can see by all the response.

Sorry I cant answer the question.
sometime going into PE at say, just above 85mph cruise, 25% throttle will help but I don't think this is proper,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I reduced the timing a little more in these areas. It seems much lower than all the other timing maps I've seen, but the ping has gone away, and I don't feel any difference in performance. Dyno might show something different, but I can't feel it.

Get notified of new replies

To Low RPM, Low Load Ping--No Knock Retard

Quick Reply: Low RPM, Low Load Ping--No Knock Retard