C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Unable to tune with Nick Williams TB

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 PM
scottybazo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unable to tune with Nick Williams TB

Hey guys i ave a 2003 Z06,procharged at8.5 psi. It has Kooks longtubes,motron 60lb injectors,comp cam 227/235 duration. A Nick Williams 102mm tb,and a Fast intake.The car has been driving ok,with a ok idle,no problems,with a 5 year old tune on it.But this past January,i installed a camshaft.The first cam was 237/245.Way too much.It was driveable,but this idle problem was too severe,and extremely rich.I took that cam out and installed the current 227/235.Very good manners above idle.But as i come to a stop the rpms sometimes drop almost to 0 then jump back up to about 850 rpm.Lately its been dropping and actually sh+utting off.Ive been to a couple of repatable tuners,and they both have said,that throttle body is damn near impossible to tune.So my guestion,IS THERE ANYONE IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA,WHO CAN TUNE,OR WOULD BE WILLING TO ATTEMPT TO TUNE MY COMBO ??? Or do i have to change up my combo. All replies would b greatly appreciated
Old 05-23-2014, 02:53 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Here is a post I wrote to someone with similar issues:

Yes s is all correctable with tuning---Don't blame the tuner---Its very difficult to get a tune correct when you have as many mods you installed all at once--
Question --What type of tune did they do ?
Stock MAF open/closed loop tune
Speed Density tune (MAFLESS)
Semi-Open loop OLSD---
You can data lo your MAF HZ table and even can use some scanners that show real time data You MAF HZ table ends at 12,000----make sure at WOT you are under that However this would cause more of a WOT issue

1) Surging or idle hunting Does confirm a richness--To correct go to the "desired airflow table and start add like 10% to the entire table--If you go too far the idle will "hang" and take forever to drop down
Also make sure they added about 3* of timing to the "base spark in gear and P/N
2) Trying to die when coming to a stop is corrected with the "Throttle follower table"
Try Subtracting like 5% to the "decay rate in gear and P/N--If you go to far You will get a hanging idle---
If you gone to far in either on these correction simply back them off some a little at a time til it's good
Try these 2 fixes 1st---BUT !ST make sure ALL your LTFT trims are at "0" or slightly negative---This can easily be corrected with your MAF HZ table after data logging the MAFFREQ ---With MAP as the other row and as LTFT's as the data

When an engine is dead cold in a stock type tune it runs off the OPEN Loop system until the coolant reaches 140* then switches to CL-- After warm starts it changes to a timer to control Open Loop to CL change-about 20 seconds---Tell us how the car starts in both senarios--cold and warm
Their a fixes for both---Usually LT header related or cam
Lastly did you install LARGER injectors ?? If yes make sure the --re-scaled your inject. flow rate table
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scottybazo
Hey guys i ave a 2003 Z06,procharged at8.5 psi. It has Kooks longtubes,motron 60lb injectors,comp cam 227/235 duration. A Nick Williams 102mm tb,and a Fast intake.The car has been driving ok,with a ok idle,no problems,with a 5 year old tune on it.But this past January,i installed a camshaft.The first cam was 237/245.Way too much.It was driveable,but this idle problem was too severe,and extremely rich.I took that cam out and installed the current 227/235.Very good manners above idle.But as i come to a stop the rpms sometimes drop almost to 0 then jump back up to about 850 rpm.Lately its been dropping and actually sh+utting off.Ive been to a couple of repatable tuners,and they both have said,that throttle body is damn near impossible to tune.So my guestion,IS THERE ANYONE IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA,WHO CAN TUNE,OR WOULD BE WILLING TO ATTEMPT TO TUNE MY COMBO ??? Or do i have to change up my combo. All replies would b greatly appreciated
Were you ever able to figure out the issue? I'm in a similar boat...
Old 03-05-2016, 12:40 AM
scottybazo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes took the car over to RPM Motorsports in Santa Clarita CA;and Charlie the owner was able to dial it in.It made 668 hp and goobs of torque.Idled like a stocker,after his tune.I was very satisfied.Have since sold it and stepped into a C7. Good luck !!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

I had my C5 tuned by EFI Performance in Richmond VA.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-started.html

I have a Nick Williams 102mm TB, and a bunch of other stuff, all noted in the thread above.

Steve, the owner, has also been known to do remote tunes with a dyno local to you, and send tunes over the Internet. http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-21-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Originally Posted by scottybazo
Yes took the car over to RPM Motorsports in Santa Clarita CA;and Charlie the owner was able to dial it in.It made 668 hp and goobs of torque.Idled like a stocker,after his tune.I was very satisfied.Have since sold it and stepped into a C7. Good luck !!
668?? I'm assuming that was forced induction? or on drugs? lol I'm going to pass on RPM - read nothing but bad about them. I am going to shop around for a place in CA with a GOOD rep and hopefully they can do it on very short notice - I will have about 36 hours from the time the car arrives in CA to when I line up to race... and somewhere in there I need to do tech inspection...

definitely going to have a premium on the price tag at that point though...

Last edited by nskyline34; 03-17-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I had my tuned by EFI Performance in Richmond VA. I had my tuned by EFI Performance in Richmond VA.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-started.html

I have a Nick Williams 102mm TB, and a bunch of other stuff, all noted in the thread above.

Steve, the owner, has also been known to do remote tunes with a dyno local to you, and send tunes over the Internet. http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/
I would need HPT or EFI i'm assuming - neither of which I have time to get let alone finances...

this project looked my budget over, shrugged, and then kicked it in the teeth...

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to tune with Nick Williams TB

Quick Reply: Unable to tune with Nick Williams TB