C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Understeer issue on base c5

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Understeer issue on base c5

When running the car on the road course it seems to plow and push through the corners. I have upgraded z06 sway bars. What steps can I take next.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 AM
mike_engr
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
When running the car on the road course it seems to plow and push through the corners. I have upgraded z06 sway bars. What steps can I take next.

Thanks
Since there are no other replies, I'll take a stab at it.

This reminds me of an interview question I faced at Michelin years ago.... Your car is understeering probably due to the stiff z06 front sway bar - - specifically, your outside tire is losing traction (weight) faster than the inside tire is gaining it.
From a practical standpoint try going back to a smaller front sway bar. Stickier front tires or a custom alignment setup may help too.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

Thanks I can try that, what if I went even stiffer in the rear such as the t1 bar? I have heard so many different things when talking to people. Some people say go stiffer overall but I am with you thinking the front is too stiff.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

what tires are you on? shocks?

It's a complete package. You can not just throw bars at it and be good. Your initial question indicates that you know that, which is good. You'll need to provide more info however, to get a better answer.

You should also post the question in the Autocross and Road Racing forum if you want a road racing setup answer... This forum is for engine tuning.

Last bit, if you put in a BIGGER rear bar you will probably understeer even more. These cars will take a larger front, but too big on the back and you make you problem worse.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

255's up front. They are falken,s 715k's all around. They seem to be great tires. Have z06 shocks and springs all around also. Upgraded to c6 sway bars. Everything else stock. In autox I get some oversteer but high speed it's under steer at every corner.

Get notified of new replies

To Understeer issue on base c5

Quick Reply: Understeer issue on base c5