C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

p0131 and p0332 car runs like $hit

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 03:16 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default p0131 and p0332 car runs like $hit

1998 Corvette 6 Speed. I had the clutch replaced in the car and within 10 minutes of driving down the road after leaving I got a p0332 bank 2 knock sensor code. I cleared it and it would disappear for a day or so. About a week after that I started to get HO2S codes p0171 and p0131. I replaced the rear knock sensor, it did have a cut wire, I figured it would be good to go after installing the knew sensor and harness. At the same time I went ahead and replaced both upstream 02 sensors. I put it back together pulled it out of the shop and went for a drive just for both codes to come back. The car runs like completely ****, it almost seems like its dumping fuel, I found that fuse #15 (oxygen sensors) under the hood was blown, I replaced it and still the same result. I have checked for vacuum leaks visually and with carb cleaner, I have checked the 02 sensor wiring as best I possibly could without pulling the harness from the car and visually inspecting every inch. I have monitored the 02's with a scanner and they seem to be switching correctly. I did notice at WOT they don't 0 out.

I read that there is a ground strap that is bolted down by an upper bellhousing bolt, can anyone confirm is this has anything to do with the knock sensors or possibly 02 sensors ground? It runs into the same part of the wire loom that the knock sensors run into.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 AM
nasty98vette
Instructor

It's a friend of mines car. We returned it to the shop that did the clutch work and they are going to look at it and see what they find. I'm leaning towards them not being thorough and brushing it off with a "we didn't find anything that we would have caused" answer. That being said if anyone has any ideas or any good spot to start that would be much appreciated.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:48 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

The real only way to check your front 02 sensors is with a data logger or scanner that shows real time data while running
A good 02 voltages should be bouncing between .100 and .950 millivolts very rapidly and the AVG voltage should be between .425 ands .525
A bad sensor will be flatlined at .450 in the both high --minimum and average columns
The front 02's run the engine all the time during P/T so if one is bad yes it will run badly as it goes into "OPEN LOOP FAULT mode" to fuel the car
On a 98 at WOT they should actually report the WOT fuel as in that year they are not turned off as in newer years The WOT voltages should be between .870-940 Milliv
The REAR 02's only job is to report the condition of your cats---they don't affect P/T fuel
Do you have LT Headers ?????
Does the car PING ??
98's were prone to failing knock sensors but if you replaced them it could be something else
If you are sure you didn't pich a wire when you installed the KN sensors you can massage the KR tables to be so sensitive or make them more sensitive which in turn will prevent the code-----If you are getting no KR last resort would to permanently delete those codes as they may be false codes and they will never re-appear
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by tblu92
The real only way to check your front 02 sensors is with a data logger or scanner that shows real time data while running
A good 02 voltages should be bouncing between .100 and .950 millivolts very rapidly and the AVG voltage should be between .425 ands .525
A bad sensor will be flatlined at .450 in the both high --minimum and average columns
The front 02's run the engine all the time during P/T so if one is bad yes it will run badly as it goes into "OPEN LOOP FAULT mode" to fuel the car
On a 98 at WOT they should actually report the WOT fuel as in that year they are not turned off as in newer years The WOT voltages should be between .870-940 Milliv
The REAR 02's only job is to report the condition of your cats---they don't affect P/T fuel
Do you have LT Headers ?????
Does the car PING ??
98's were prone to failing knock sensors but if you replaced them it could be something else
If you are sure you didn't pich a wire when you installed the KN sensors you can massage the KR tables to be so sensitive or make them more sensitive which in turn will prevent the code-----If you are getting no KR last resort would to permanently delete those codes as they may be false codes and they will never re-appear
The P0131 code has cleared itself. The Knock Sensor code (0332) is still present. I have thought about grounding the sensors out OR putting resistors in to fake the sensors, has anyone done this before? The car does not ping, tick, knock or any of the above.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM
nasty98vette
Instructor

bump,,, still have the 332 code. Can anybody verify if this code sends the car into reduced power? When he clears the code the car runs like it should, when the code is present the car does not run like it should at WOT.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

There are several levels of "limp mode" or reduced power mode--Yes the knock codes can create a partial reduced power mode---easiest way other than replacing the sensors is to have a tuner "desensitize " them and delete the codes permanently---it is very common on the early C5's to have pesky KR codes----
ALSO a failing or not working knock sensor would make the engine Ping all the time--so your's is not bad but because of built up carbon or age the sensors are not reading correctly---replacing them may not cure the problem

Get notified of new replies

To p0131 and p0332 car runs like $hit

Quick Reply: p0131 and p0332 car runs like $hit