C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Potential False Knock... Looking for advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Potential False Knock... Looking for advise

Posted below on ls1tech... seem to be more active in tuning section.

Hoping to get some advice… I’m new to LS1 tuning. I’m getting excessive KR at WOT and aggr part throttle... no codes.
I’m in damn hot AZ.

Below are some histograms.
1st 91oct on stock tune…
2nd 91oct with revised IAT correction
3rd E47 stock timing w/ 12:1 Stoich

01 c5 m6 engine (with 95k mi) is completely stock except K&N filter system and oil cooler.

Seems much of this has to be false knock; can't image e47 knocking with stock timing. If so, what actions would you advise?
-tempted to turn them off… best way is set max knock retard to 0? Or zero out gain?
-could replacing them solve it?

With the e47 I did drive for a bit, so I think it has mixed sufficiently... trims seem ok, not pulling a bunch. Plugs look good.
Attached Images    
Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM
outkast6991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you seeing the kr at throttle transitions only? If so it may be burst knock. Also you can get kr from being rich just as well as lean.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

You can see in the scan snapshots it occurs well into a single gear pull. And o2s are pretty steady.
I’d be surprised if burst knock was included in the KR channel.

Knock sensors are very simple converting vibration into a voltage and PCM reacts based on a very narrow voltage I believe. This voltage may not be matching true knock hz as they got out of wack somehow.

I also seem to have some LTFT swing between each bank, by a few %... although haven’t checked this thoroughly yet. This could point to a lean cylinder and causing the knock… but I think this is unlikely and plugs all looked very similar. Is a few % between banks common? Temping me to pull the cats to rule them out on the bank diff, but wasn't planning this until I install headers down the road.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Ok after looking through logs and HPT I have an action plan.

Just about all the knock happens >50kpa MAP and this is the point when global gain is reduced... I will start by increasing the gain (reducing sensitivity).
Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Ok after looking through logs and HPT I have an action plan.

Just about all the knock happens >50kpa MAP and this is the point when global gain is reduced... I will start by increasing the gain (reducing sensitivity).
Well this worked, no knock... but did a few changed simultaneously (not a single edit type of person). I'll start adding sensitivity back in now.
I also zeroed burst knock, but I don't think this is a cause. This was noticeable during shifts.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have had the best results by not messing will any of the KR tables other than the
"Cylinder Mode" in your knock software---the frequency--filter and sensitivity tables are a complex hole by hole calibration- But the Clyn mode in the software section is adjustable by RPM vs KPA so much easier to make accurate adjustments exactly where you are getting the false KN Not huge changes adding to the numbers desensitize the sensors Typically at WOT the number is like 1.0 --try small adjustments like a 1.02 see in the KR gets less---If you begin to HEAR pinging you went to far then back off some

Get notified of new replies

To Potential False Knock... Looking for advise

Quick Reply: Potential False Knock... Looking for advise