C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Will an OBD tuner REALLY give me more power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM
QCKSLVR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Will an OBD tuner REALLY give me more power?

Hi. I have an '01 LS1 with 6-speed which I purchased new almost 14 years ago. It now has 49,000 miles on it and still looks and runs like new. I'd like to squeeze a bit more power out of it, but don't want to invest large sums of money or risk affecting driveability or durability by doing extensive internal mods on the engine. I read about these tuner devices (Predator, and such) that supposedly "unlock the hidden potential of your engine", etc., and wonder if they really can do what they claim and, if so, what the potential downsides of using them might be. I'm hoping someone who has experienced this will provide the straight-scoop for me.

For the record, the car is internally factory stock, with the addition of an SLP Blackwing air intake, B&B exhaust system, Bassani X-pipe, and functional front scoops, a la Z06.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes it will since you did a CAI and exhaust if you were to get a good dyno tune your car would run even better then it does and it will be well worth the 500 bucks or so at a shop. I can't give you any input on a mail order tune as I have never had one but my first Dyno tune I got he got me 34RWHP all I had was CAI and cat back also their was plenty left on the table from Factory tune.

Pops
Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll get different opinions, but I personally wouldn't waste the money. Put some headers (they're dependable and don't leak like the old days), maybe a CAI and take it to someone for a real tune (setting VE and MAF tables and getting PE table and spark just right) and you will be able to notice a difference in the performance.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:08 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Most handheld tuning devices are very generic and have to work in many different climates and tend to be very generic in their tuning very vanilla as the have to please many drivers and quality of gas etc- Also many come from back east where they have 93 oct fuel and like here in calif we onlt have 91---
Yes is is better than nothing but don't expect miracles--These cars are well tuned bone stock 10-12 RWHP is the common----With a full tuner like HP or EFILIVE the tuner can cater the tune to your exact car mods and driver's use---So there is a little more power on the table Say about an avg of 15-17 RWHP
IF your car is an automatic howver with a full tune you can make your car 3-5 tenths quicker in the 1/4 miles simply with trans tuning alone !! a handheld does not address enough tables to quicken up an A4 propperly---
Depends on your goals --happy with 10 12 RWP a handheld can do the trick but iffy on 91 oct fuel---But if you want all the HP the car can make--- a real tune will be the best bet--Prices ?? actually about the same !!!
Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 AM
QCKSLVR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Decision made!

Thanks for the objective and informative input, friends. Given the responses I've received to my question and reading other reviews, I've decided to go the dyno-tune route. I'm 70, but want to get the most out of what I have while I can still enjoy it! Thanks again for your insights.

Get notified of new replies

To Will an OBD tuner REALLY give me more power?

Quick Reply: Will an OBD tuner REALLY give me more power?