C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

WANTED! Good smog cam that sounds retro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 AM
fnseeker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WANTED! Good smog cam that sounds retro?

We still have to go through emissions here in Washington state.
I would like to get a more aggressive sounding cam in my 02 Zo6.
Put the exhaust on it last year and now it sounds good. But not like a Corvette should. If you know what I mean. I will be running the stock heads/intake/bottom end. Not looking to try and be the fastest. Just want the sound. The car is more than capable the way it is for me.
Looking for suggestions on what will sound good and still go through emissions. I understand the limitations. Just want to push these as far as I can. TSP has their 224/224 -580 lsa 114 or 112 They say the lsa 114 will go through with no problems and that some people have gotten the lsa 112 through. Has anyone got either of these or anything more aggressive through?
Old 11-29-2014, 12:44 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by fnseeker
We still have to go through emissions here in Washington state.
I would like to get a more aggressive sounding cam in my 02 Zo6.
Put the exhaust on it last year and now it sounds good. But not like a Corvette should. If you know what I mean. I will be running the stock heads/intake/bottom end. Not looking to try and be the fastest. Just want the sound. The car is more than capable the way it is for me.
Looking for suggestions on what will sound good and still go through emissions. I understand the limitations. Just want to push these as far as I can. TSP has their 224/224 -580 lsa 114 or 112 They say the lsa 114 will go through with no problems and that some people have gotten the lsa 112 through. Has anyone got either of these or anything more aggressive through?
Your research information is Spot On-------On my '98 I wanted to pass even stricter Calif emissions---- My cam was a .221/.221 at .050
Lift doesn't really matter---- it was a 114 LSA---and passed
And yes as a tuner I can tell you a 112 LSA is very iffy to pass--I have gotten them to pass however I had to put a "smog tune " in them to pass and then change it back to the normal tune
I believe a stock cam is between a 116 and 119 LSA
A 114 has a very nice lope and racy sound-- Mine was awesome !!!!
I would not gamble and get the 114--- The LOWER the LSA the more the lope--(typically) A 114 is still lower than stock
Old 11-30-2014, 05:03 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 114lsa is still going to sound like a camed out car. Plus there is tuning and timing that can take care of the lobe sound you're looking for.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:23 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a cam I got from AI with my heads. Its a 224/224 - 115lsa.
Need it to pass Cali smog as well.

Get notified of new replies

To WANTED! Good smog cam that sounds retro?

Quick Reply: WANTED! Good smog cam that sounds retro?