C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Know a good local tuner? South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 PM
derekd7987
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Know a good local tuner? South Carolina

Hey guys,

Pretty new here. I bought a FRC a month or so ago and think the tune could be better. I'm located in Spartanburg, SC and am trying to see if there is anybody good and well known decently local. Found some old threads where there used to be a guy in Greenville, SC somehow related to EastCoast Tuning or Performance but can't really find anything recent? Would just like to see if I can find somebody good within an hour or two. Thanks in advance for your replys.

Derek
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I have a really good tuner in Charleston if that's not too far.

I'm asking a friend that lives up by your way to see who he knows up there.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
derekd7987
Pro

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan

Awesome. I wanted something a little closer but I'll keep that in mind. I'm about 3 hours from Charleston.

I appreciate it...let me know what he says.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Up there I'm told to check out Charles at http://v8muscle.net. I'm told by a couple of locals up there that he does a good job.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:13 PM
derekd7987
Pro

Up there I'm told to check out Charles at http://v8muscle.net. I'm told by a couple of locals up there that he does a good job.
Thanks alot man. Gonna contact him and get some info. Thanks for the quick response
Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Definately contact Charles Barber! He knows his tuning! He tunes mine and he is top notch.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:33 AM
derekd7987
Pro

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
Definately contact Charles Barber! He knows his tuning! He tunes mine and he is top notch.
Good deal. Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 AM
HoneyBadgerZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuner in charleston

Who do you know im the charleston area? Im in moncks corner area and looking for a good tuner, some people told me about jp and a guy named ethan. Sorry if this is bringing up a old thread thanks for any info
Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to edit this post after a recent experience my buddy had here.

Charleston Perfomance Solutions had his car for 2 1/2 weeks roughly to swap a rear end, install nitrous and tune it. That should have been more than enough time to get everything done. He went to pick it up today because the only thing they had done was swap the rear. Then they said they would hook up nitrous and put a tune on it this morning, and when he got there it still wasn't done. He waited around and the tuner decided he was hungry and went to lunch all while my buddy was waiting. They obviously do not care that much about their customers. Wish This wasn't the story because they are close to my and I need a tune. Now I'll have to go elsewhere.

Last edited by ssmoke-u; 03-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:30 PM
HoneyBadgerZ
Intermediate

have you heard about a guy named Ethan brown? A few people I know have told me to check him out?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

I've never heard of Ethan Brown but that doesn't mean he doesn't do a good job.

My experiences with C.P.S. are not that same, I've been happy with their work and have had everything done in a timely manner. They also don't do the tunes themselves normally. They would sub that out to JP or Jaime Alvord if it is GM so you would be dealing with them anyway, and C.P.S. would only be billing for the Dyno use if you went that route.

Frankly, I'm shocked to hear anything bad from there.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Matts94Z28
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ssmoke-u
I have to edit this post after a recent experience my buddy had here.

Charleston Perfomance Solutions had his car for 2 1/2 weeks roughly to swap a rear end, install nitrous and tune it. That should have been more than enough time to get everything done. He went to pick it up today because the only thing they had done was swap the rear. Then they said they would hook up nitrous and put a tune on it this morning, and when he got there it still wasn't done. He waited around and the tuner decided he was hungry and went to lunch all while my buddy was waiting. They obviously do not care that much about their customers. Wish This wasn't the story because they are close to my and I need a tune. Now I'll have to go elsewhere.
We are sorry you feel this way, but we need to clear the air here and figure out where the half truths are coming from. The owner of the car had a constant line of communication with us and aided in the decisions made.

The owner of the car brought us some parts that he purchased second hand for what he thought was a deal. In most cases this is not an issue, but he was unlucky and ended up with a 12-bolt riddled with problems and a sub-par and incomplete nitrous kit. Other than the low quality pars, most of the delay was due to having to order a purge kit, bearings, lower control arms, etc.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the quality of parts we were supplied with.

After showing these issues to the owner, he decided he wanted us to push forward by replacing the bearings, smoothing the surface of the hub, and making it work. In addition to these issues, the rear end did not come with the relocation brackets needed to work with the lowered car and were on back order when we decided to get a set. We were able to remedy that by ordering a set of adjustable lower control arms to correct the geometry until he purchases a set of relocation brackets.

On to the nitrous kit. The customer asked us to locate the bottle in the spare tire well and hide the solenoids under the cowl if possible. Again, these parts are sub-par in comparison to the vehicle - main feed line is not long enough to mount the bottle in the specified location, mis-matched solenoids, nozzle nut missing, etc. We ended up agreeing that a nitrous outlet plate system would be the best route to go while matching the quality of the car and that it would have to be done at a later time... thus leaving us with the option to tune the car for motor.

Lastly, the tune. The tune was scheduled for 5 days after the car was dropped off and was dependent upon the nitrous kit being installed as he wanted a nitrous tune. As you guys can see, the project ran over the 5 day schedule and my tuner did not have a day open to work the customer in before taking the car to a big car show in myrtle beach. We were all very upset that this was going to be the outcome... we never want a customer to leave unhappy!

However, we got lucky and my tuner had a Saturday morning clear up and was able to tune the car. While tuning the car we found a few more issues with the TPS and the car not doing what we wanted it to do. The car was leaps and bounds better, but not perfect. (It wouldn't even idle before hand) At this point we think the wire tuck might have nipped a wire or might be causing an issue. Heck, could be a ground too.

Lunch? Really? Yes, we do eat around here from time to time. It happens.

The owner of the car even made a few parts runs while we kept the car strapped down and tried to get to the bottom of things. He was very understanding and very helpful through the entire ordeal.

Things don't always go the way you want in the performance world, but its all about how you deal with these situations. We feel that we dealt with the situation the best we could with the issues we had. The customer will be back for a nitrous outlet plate system installation and we will be updating his calibration for nitrous as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

There are always two sides to the story. I understand that. Maybe some of my facts weren't right on point, but the overall point still holds true. I hate that this happened because I had high hopes but I'm a first impression kind of guy. And my first impression was not good.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:19 PM
Matts94Z28
4th Gear

There are always two sides to the story. I understand that. Maybe some of my facts weren't right on point, but the overall point still holds true. I hate that this happened because I had high hopes but I'm a first impression kind of guy. And my first impression was not good.
Correction - three sides to the story if we add yours in the mix...

We have a fantastic reputation, fair pricing, and some of the best tuners in the state of SC.

Anyhow, you should probably think about those whose livelihood depend on our reputation. To be blunt, you have never dealt with us, you were not there, and you just admitted faulty logic. I'm sure you will find someone who is more than capable of tuning the vehicle you own. It just won't be us.

Thanks for coming here to clear things up.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:33 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
I'm sure you will find someone who is more than capable of tuning the vehicle you own. It just won't be us.
You are correct. I'd rather have possession of my car than leave it somewhere for a month for it to get tuned.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:20 PM
Matts94Z28
4th Gear

You are correct. I'd rather have possession of my car than leave it somewhere for a month for it to get tuned.

Most guys are out in 2-3 hours. Sub-par parts only add to the cause... no matter how you try and spin it.

You should check out carolina auto masters for your tuning needs.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Yes 2-3 hours is right. Sub par parts maybe bump the timeline up to a week. Not a month. And don't worry about it. I got it covered. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Matts94Z28
4th Gear

Yes 2-3 hours is right. Sub par parts maybe bump the timeline up to a week. Not a month. And don't worry about it. I got it covered. Thanks.
I see we have a stubborn one on out hands. I will just give you the gratification of knowing you are right if it makes you feel better. Glad you got your tuning situation figured out!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM
CWhite56
4th Gear

Default Good Tuner in South Carolina

Hawks Third Generation in Easley is great, WWW.Hawksthirdgenparts.com, they do Dyno's and computer tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To Know a good local tuner? South Carolina

Quick Reply: Know a good local tuner? South Carolina