C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

P0172 and P0175 codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:08 AM
Pozzest
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0172 and P0175 codes

I finally got my car back on the road after having to tow it on Christmas day. Many Thanks to those with input that helped me to fox it.
I Found burnt wiring in the harness in the starter motor area . It has long tubes, vortech blower, meth and a tune. Been like that for 5 years. Was out yesterday and it threw 2 codes P0172 and P0175. I had driven about 15 miles from the house when the ck light came on. Car is Running great just throwing these two codes.
During the repairs i installed 2 brand new O2 OEM sensors and heat wrapped all the wiring. I am only running front sensors. Not quite sure what happened as this never was an issue before
Pozzest
Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Those codes are for RICHNESS on both the left and right sides of your engine-----
IF your car was working perfectly before without these codes---The most common issues for a "rich code" especially on both sides is the MAF---IF you have an oiled cold air intake chances are you recently cleaned and re-oiled the filter and the oil got into your MAF wires
I would remove your MAF and clean it with Brakeclean

Other than that it could be both your front 02's aren't working--again----It is an inherent issue with long tubes--because the 02 bungs are moved further aft than the stock positions they do not heat up properly and will always eventually foul-
The fix for this has been to install some REAR 02's onto the front locations as the rears heat up better and read more accurately--A tuner can also adjust your 02 switching points to make them work better
To check your front 02's-----most any scanner that shows real time data will tell you if your 02's are dead---A properly working front 02 will oscillate voltages very rapidly from .150 millivolts to .950 millivolts--If they are not changing rapidly they aren't working OR they may be bad---usually a totally dead 02 will be stuck permanently at .450 millivolts---
Old 02-25-2015, 05:52 AM
Pozzest
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Codes

Thanks for the reply. I have not done anything with air filter. I am however going to pull MAF and clean it out though. I appreciate the info will scan my O2 sensors as well. These only had 20 miles on them and are new OEM ones as well. Thanks again i will post what i find
Pozzest
Old 02-25-2015, 03:10 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Pozzest
Thanks for the reply. I have not done anything with air filter. I am however going to pull MAF and clean it out though. I appreciate the info will scan my O2 sensors as well. These only had 20 miles on them and are new OEM ones as well. Thanks again i will post what i find
Pozzest
ALSO another thing that can cause a rich condition on both sides is a "Vacuum Leak" OR an intake tract leak post MAF as this becomes un-metered air----Any added air that is un metered makes the engine run lean---However the ECM is constantly ADDING fuel to correct for the leaness When the added fuel % goes OVER apprx +20% --is when you'll get the codes---
The added richness is not a huge deal during P/T other than poor mileage but that % that is being added at P/T is also carried over to WOT as well !!! as a safety factor---That's where it will kill off some HP-----Say it is adding 20% at P/T
A stock untuned C5 has a WOT AFR of about 11.5-1
If your ECM is adding 20%----it now becomes a horribly rich AFR of
9.2 !!!! That is the AFR range of a supercharged engine !!!

Get notified of new replies

To P0172 and P0175 codes

Quick Reply: P0172 and P0175 codes