C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Unknown Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:00 AM
nickaz2003
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unknown Performance Chip

I'm a proud 3rd owner of a 2003 50th Anniversary with 50k miles. I've had it for a few weeks now and put about 600 miles on it which included a trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back, 300 miles.

So far so good, runs great no issues.

The first owner stated in his ad when he was selling the car that it had a performance chip installed, the second owner added a K&N cold air intake and Flowmaster 80 mufflers.

How would I go about finding out what Performance Chip is in the car?
I would like to maybe upgrade the chip or get a tuner, though I think I read somewhere here that there is no place for a performance chip, so I'm really not sure if there is one or not.
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

The car doesn't provide for physically changeable chips. Doesn't work that way. If you were told it was "chipped" you were probably given snake oil.

What you can do is tune them using one of a couple of different tuning software systems to rewrite various parameters and tables within the ECM. You can't see it to see if it's been done. It's like looking at a hand drvie for a computer in your hand. What's on it? You can't tell until you plug in and read it. Same with the computer in the car. You need to have someone with efilive or hptuners plug in and look at your tune. If they are familiar with Corvettes they can tell you if it's been tuned or is factory stock. Or you can have a dealer check with their software.

In the former case they may have to pay a license fee if they have not already purchased the unlock for the series of engines (unlikely) and in the latter you can be sure the dealer is at a minimum going to charge a diag fee.

As you are in Phoenix and there are tons of Corvette guys there I'm sure that if you post in the regional forum you'll easily find someone that can plug in and let you know what you have.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 03-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Yet another PUI in progress I see...

OP, feel free to send in your PCM if you would the tune file checked.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I think a certain member will be quiet for a while.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone with HPTuners and a stock tune file can download what you've got in the car now and use the comparison feature in HPTuners to see what parameters if any are different. A license is required to change your tune if using HPTuners.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM
nickaz2003
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-

Wow, thanks for the removal of that someone special....

I didn't think there was a performance chip but I just wanted to be sure if I decided to go the turner route. I do remember putting a chip in my Firebird Trans Am but that was back in 1985 and didn't think that applied to today.

There's a greet and meet here in town this coming Saturday, I'll have to ask around if there is someone who can take a look at my program and see if it's stock or changed.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

-

Last edited by nickaz2003; 03-03-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:41 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Re-programmable chips have NOT been used by GM from about 1996---So either the owner wasn't familiar with the new terminology or was feeding you a line----
Any tuner with HP or EFILIVE can read your existing tune--save it--and compare it to a stock tune from a car of the same year---The comparison does NOT cause the tuner to use a new license for your car--Only if he re-flashes it again should a full tuning charge apply---
Typically bolts ons such as a CAI and mufflers do NOT require re-tuning---The ECM has the ability to make fuel corrections on it's own to compensate---
A real tune however would really wake up your car !! especially if it's an automatic---Trans tuning alone can make your car quicker without even addressing the engine--usually about 2-3 tenths in the 1/4 mile----
These cars were tuned very well bone stock --But you can still expect maybe 15-17 RWHP with a tune---AND the responsiveness and bottom end will be greatly improved !

Get notified of new replies

To Unknown Performance Chip

Quick Reply: Unknown Performance Chip