C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

P/N idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Default P/N idle

When my vehicle is in P/N it doesn't want to idle very well. It will idle fine for 5 mins,for example, then it will surge and over correct and drop low and continue to oscillate like that for a little while (sometimes it may stall). In gear it doesn't have this problem. The MAF and VE tables are dialed in pretty good. In gear idle the LTFTs are ~1% but in P/N the LTFTs can reach ~10% (maybe more). The idle overspeed and underspeed have been greatly reduced. And the idle timing is around 30*. And idle target speed is around 900rpm.

What tables should I look at to correct this P/N idle problem?

Mods:
Heads, cam, intake, TB, exhaust, supercharger.
228/232 .571/.573 112
Old 04-17-2015, 03:35 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Sounds like an issue I had with my truck's 5.3 engine. You may have an air leak that comes or goes as the engine warms up.

Chevy came out with a service bulletin for the trucks which identified a poor design in their intake manifold gaskets. Over time when cold the gaskets would leak a small bit and then pretty suddenly as the temp came up seal up. Engine would go from a nice idle to nearly dying when the gaskets sealed because the idle air fuel trims had gone way negative trying to keep the idle at the programmed rpm level by nearly closing off the throttle body.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by enoniam
Sounds like an issue I had with my truck's 5.3 engine. You may have an air leak that comes or goes as the engine warms up.

Chevy came out with a service bulletin for the trucks which identified a poor design in their intake manifold gaskets. Over time when cold the gaskets would leak a small bit and then pretty suddenly as the temp came up seal up. Engine would go from a nice idle to nearly dying when the gaskets sealed because the idle air fuel trims had gone way negative trying to keep the idle at the programmed rpm level by nearly closing off the throttle body.
Perhaps it is a mechanical issue and not a software issue.
The vehicle is an A4 and doesn't have any trouble idling in gear and the LTFTs are always low. However, in P/N it will idle fine for a while and then, out of nowhere the RPM will drop significantly causing it to drop and over correct and starting hunting for idle. Usually it will correct itself, or I can assist. Then it will idle fine for a while (5-10 mins for example), then out of nowhere the idle will drop.
It seems that when the motor is hot (and in P/N) the LTFTs are pretty high (+13ish), but when its just warming up they are low (+2ish). You can definitely smell unburned fuel. Cam isn't that big (228/232 .571/.572 112) so I don't know if this is normal. Also idle is set to be around 900rpm. I would think that even with high LTFTs it shouldn't be burning that rich as its just the amount of fuel necessary to keep it at stoich. Its not dumping black smoke out the pipes but you can definitely smell the exhaust.
It feels like its "loading up" on gas until it chokes itself and causes it to stumble and then go into "hunt for idle mode". Wide band gauge indicates 14-15 afr while it is idling.

Last edited by reactor2; 04-20-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM
enoniam
Pro

Originally Posted by reactor2
Wide band gauge indicates 14-15 afr while it is idling.
Does it read that while you can smell unburned fuel in the exhaust?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Yeah, afr is always around stoich
Old 04-23-2015, 01:49 PM
enoniam
Pro

Yeah, afr is always around stoich
Then it seems either you're smelling something other than fuel in the exhaust or the wideband is off.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 PM
reactor2
Drifting

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about the fuel smell on a cammed engine. The large amount of overlap between the intake and exhaust lobes is quite inefficient at idle speeds. Its not like it stings the eyes, but its definitely there.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:33 PM
enoniam
Pro

I would think that even with high LTFTs it shouldn't be burning that rich as its just the amount of fuel necessary to keep it at stoich. Its not dumping black smoke out the pipes but you can definitely smell the exhaust.
It feels like its "loading up" on gas until it chokes itself and causes it to stumble and then go into "hunt for idle mode". Wide band gauge indicates 14-15 afr while it is idling.
I guess I should have been clearer in my last post.

Your wide band is telling you it isn't rich, but you think it is. Do you have faith in your wide band?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

When adding a larger cam you must increase the "desired airflow"--It has a table for both P/N and for in gear---If while in P/N you are having idle hunting you should add some desired airflow in P/N I would start by adding 15% to the whole table--If you add too much you'll get the reverse affect the idle will hang and take forever to drop down---If that happens simply start removing 5% at a time until it settles down
ALSO when cold your engine runs in "OPEN LOOP" mode--the fuel is commanded strictly by the open loop normal table---after the coolant reaches apprx 170* the ECM will switch to "closed loop" seems this is where you start having idle issues---
Make sure that after the ECM goes into closed loop that your LTFT fuel trims are at "0" or slightly negative---this has to be done 1st before your ever mess with the desired airflow----

Get notified of new replies

To P/N idle

Quick Reply: P/N idle