C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Need Tech 2 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 03:00 PM
1slowride
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Tech 2 help

I am looking for someone in Huntsville Alabama, or close to Huntsville with a tech 2 computer that I can pay to turn off my tire pressure sensor system. if there is someone relatively close, and willing to do this, I would certainly appreciate it. Note" Car is a 2001 Corvette.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:31 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 282 Likes on 259 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 1slowride
I am looking for someone in Huntsville Alabama, or close to Huntsville with a tech 2 computer that I can pay to turn off my tire pressure sensor system. if there is someone relatively close, and willing to do this, I would certainly appreciate it. Note" Car is a 2001 Corvette.
Are you sure a Tech II can do that ?? I was under the impression that it could NOT--
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 AM
1slowride
Racer

I installed a set of CCW wheels, and my tire pressure sensors would not fit in the wheels. It is my understanding that TPS program on a 2001 and up Corvette can easily be turned off with a tech2.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to confirm that the option can be disabled with a Tech2. NHSTA doesn't believe that it should be done but my current understanding is that it is still perfectly legal to do so. Double check the law yourself and state and local laws my vary.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:33 AM
1slowride
Racer

Here's the thing, if I can't find someone to turn it off, I'm going to have to remove the CCW wheels, and install something that will work with the sensors. Reason being every time I start the car, I have to go through a cycle to reset and turn off all four wheels, and then while driving, the dash will light up again, chime, and everything will come back on again. So I have to turn everything off again while going down the highway. The C5 Z06 does not have TPS, and in the factory program the function is switched off.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Here's the thing, if I can't find someone to turn it off, I'm going to have to remove the CCW wheels, and install something that will work with the sensors. Reason being every time I start the car, I have to go through a cycle to reset and turn off all four wheels, and then while driving, the dash will light up again, chime, and everything will come back on again. So I have to turn everything off again while going down the highway. The C5 Z06 does not have TPS, and in the factory program the function is switched off.
I say turn it off. A dealer may even be willing to do it. But, it is a safety device installed as original equipment. And, there may be laws or even policies at businesses that prevent them from doing this for you. I just wanted to mention it in the interest of being thorough. In Florida, there are no regulations preventing this to my knowledge and I would turn the option off if you came into my shop and asked me to.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

Tech 2 can turn it off. Another option is to purchase the brackets that mount the tpms right off your valve stem that you choose. There is a vendor that sells them on here. I believe bracket slides over new valve stem prior to install and tpms just gets screwed down to it like it does on the rim. Depending on the cost of those and installation you could also buy a tech 2 for about $300 (Asian knock off) and shut it off yourself.
Chris
Old 05-07-2015, 09:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The Tech 2 can turn the TPM sensors off. I have done it for others. It is just one of the RPOs that can be activated or turned off. Very simple to do.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:58 AM
1slowride
Racer

Default Thanks Russell

Originally Posted by Russell Boulding
Just wanted to confirm that the option can be disabled with a Tech2. NHSTA doesn't believe that it should be done but my current understanding is that it is still perfectly legal to do so. Double check the law yourself and state and local laws my vary.
Thanks Russell, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
With a PM from Russell, I was able to take his instructions to a gentleman that has a Tech 2 and was willing to help, and within 2 minutes, he had me fixed up.
Mark
Old 05-11-2015, 02:22 PM
1slowride
Racer

Default Update

Update,,,,,,
After 3 days of the Tire pressure monitoring system being turned off, it somehow turned itself back on. So now I am going to have to take the car back to the Dealership to look for a permanent fix.
For 3 days the car started several times, and show no sign of the system, but after 3 days, on start up and every 15 miles, I get the flat tire codes and alerts.

ALSO,,,
even after it was turned off and showed NO CODES or Alerts, if I did a manual scroll thru the DIC, the tires still showed up as front XXX / rear XXX
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Water temp
Tires F XXX
Tires R XXX

I would have thought if it was turned off as the Z06 option, it should not show any tire message.
Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Update,,,,,,
After 3 days of the Tire pressure monitoring system being turned off, it somehow turned itself back on. So now I am going to have to take the car back to the Dealership to look for a permanent fix.
For 3 days the car started several times, and show no sign of the system, but after 3 days, on start up and every 15 miles, I get the flat tire codes and alerts.

ALSO,,,
even after it was turned off and showed NO CODES or Alerts, if I did a manual scroll thru the DIC, the tires still showed up as front XXX / rear XXX
Oil pressure
Oil temp
Water temp
Tires F XXX
Tires R XXX

I would have thought if it was turned off as the Z06 option, it should not show any tire message.
Any input is appreciated.
I sent another PM but I will post a short version here as well. I would make sure that they disable both of the options available in the RCDLR (appears in Tech2 as RFA) and that directly afterwards they disconnect the battery for an hour or more and recheck the option settings after reconnecting the battery. I run into this sometimes when disabling F45/F55 in the BCM. For some reason the settings change doesn't seem to hold unless the battery is left disconnected for an hour or so. Never had it happen on TPM but it makes sense that the same could apply.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Not sure the OP wants to delete the RFA function, just TPMS.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 AM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Not sure the OP wants to delete the RFA function, just TPMS.
That's not what I was suggesting. There are two selectable options for TPMS both are turned on and off through the RCDLR (RFA). They are also the only options that can be toggled in the RCDLR. So no danger of losing all RFA functions. It was in the context of what I told him earlier. I guess I should have elaborated.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:07 PM
1slowride
Racer

Default Thanks

I do appreciate the help guys, I am taking notes, and have a appointment this Friday morning again at the Dealership to get rid of the lights and ding dongs,,,, ( hopefully) lol.

On a side note I called John yesterday at CCW and he told me he has not seen factory sensors not fit into the CCW wheels. So today I took my car to a different tire shop to try again,,,,,,,,, They Will not Work, the threads do not come thru the wheels for the nut to screw onto it.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Cutlassmaster
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

On a side note I called John yesterday at CCW and he told me he has not seen factory sensors not fit into the CCW wheels. So today I took my car to a different tire shop to try again,,,,,,,,, They Will not Work, the threads do not come thru the wheels for the nut to screw onto it.
When i bought new sensors and took them to Costco to go with new tires they said they wouldn't fit also. I compared to the ones that came off the rims and they were the same size so I pushed on the sensor from inside of rim and threaded the nut on. It does not get more that 3 turns but they work just fine cause the torque is low, 64 inch pounds if i remember correctly.
Chris
Old 05-13-2015, 06:50 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

That's not what I was suggesting. There are two selectable options for TPMS both are turned on and off through the RCDLR (RFA). They are also the only options that can be toggled in the RCDLR. So no danger of losing all RFA functions. It was in the context of what I told him earlier. I guess I should have elaborated.
When I go in there are not two options under the RFA for TPMS. Here is the path I use. Can you provide the other path?

http://blog.obd365.com/2015/01/28/ho...with-gm-tech2/
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cutlassmaster
When i bought new sensors and took them to Costco to go with new tires they said they wouldn't fit also. I compared to the ones that came off the rims and they were the same size so I pushed on the sensor from inside of rim and threaded the nut on. It does not get more that 3 turns but they work just fine cause the torque is low, 64 inch pounds if i remember correctly.
Chris
I am thinking you may not have the correct sensors. Try comparing yours to the pictures here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...batteries.html

Get notified of new replies

To Need Tech 2 help

Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

When I go in there are not two options under the RFA for TPMS. Here is the path I use. Can you provide the other path?

Sorry I didn't see this post. That link shows the correct path.

Diagnostics
Body
Y
RFA
Special Functions
From there the two TPM options should be there.

That link shows it in a confusing manner. The path above is directly from the start screen.

Be careful with china clone Tech2s there have been reports of undesired things happening with them especially when updating or programming. They are unrepairable if they ever break. You can get a decent used authentic unit on eBay for only a little more than a china clone shipped.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sorry I didn't see this post. That link shows the correct path.

Diagnostics
Body
Y
RFA
Special Functions
From there the two TPM options should be there.

That link shows it in a confusing manner. The path above is directly from the start screen.

Be careful with china clone Tech2s there have been reports of undesired things happening with them especially when updating or programming. They are unrepairable if they ever break. You can get a decent used authentic unit on eBay for only a little more than a china clone shipped.
Thanks Russell. I will try that the next time I get a chance. Sam
Old 05-18-2016, 08:31 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Hey Sam

When I went in following the path you sent using yours, I encountered two TPMS related options:

1. Tire Pressure Monitoring System and,

2. Tire pressure Monitoring System DIC

I shut them both off. I think by doing that there is no chance of the LFXXX, RFXXX. etc for the various tire readout message coming back up on the DIC as some have been reporting.

At first, I did not know which one to turn off. It seemed to work fine turning off just the first one, but after reading this thread,I went out and also turned off the DIC one. I am going to take it on a long run tomorrow, just to do a final check on it.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 05-18-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Tech 2 help